Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Drew Stubbs and Justin Maxwell

Drew Stubbs and Justin Maxwell

Since Maxwell is likely a minor leaguer to start his year, I thought i'd post this here. Also, I am likely to find out more about Maxwell in this forum.

Physically they sound similar, tall guys with lots of speed. I'm wondering if anyone has seen Maxwell or has a scouting report on him. I've recently decided that the Nats are my second favorite team (used to be TB, but i can't get past the whole DH thing)

So how do Stubbs and Maxwell compare?
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Drew Stubbs and Justin Maxwell

Stubbs contact rates look like Ichiro's compared to Maxwells. Stubbs is better defensively, though Maxwell is quite good out there. Maxwell has a below average arm, which hurts his overall defense. Stubbs arm is above average. Speed wise, both are burners. At the plate though, Stubbs skillset is better now and probably will be moving forward. Maxwell just can't make contact at anything resembling a rate that could see him succeed in the majors.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Stubbs contact rates look like Ichiro's compared to Maxwells. Stubbs is better defensively, though Maxwell is quite good out there. Maxwell has a below average arm, which hurts his overall defense. Stubbs arm is above average. Speed wise, both are burners. At the plate though, Stubbs skillset is better now and probably will be moving forward. Maxwell just can't make contact at anything resembling a rate that could see him succeed in the majors.
    I think your hyperbole regarding contact rates is kind of crazy.

How often they strike out:
    25.07% Maxwell
    23.59% Stubbs
    9.04% Ichiro

They're fairly similar, IMO, with Stubbs grading out slightly better across the board. While this makes him the superior prospect (and better bet to succeed), the margin is pretty thin.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I think your hyperbole regarding contact rates is kind of crazy.

How often they strike out:
    25.07% Maxwell
    23.59% Stubbs
    9.04% Ichiro
    Last season in the minors in AAA:
    Stubbs - 22.1%
    Maxwell - 30.5%

Stubbs struck out 27% less than Maxwell did. Thats a pretty significant gap. Sure, I stretched it a little with the Ichiro comparison, but Maxwell struggled mightily to put the bat on the ball last year. Maxwell has seen his K rate get higher at each level he saw over 200 at bats at, while Stubbs has gone the opposite direction.

Turn Off Ads?