Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Among the dumbest cliches

Among the dumbest cliches

are the ones where ball players discuss what they've learned.

From C. Trent's article on Logan Ondrusek.

http://cnati.com/spring-training-201...ng-out-001652/
    "I learned a lot of things, you can't pitch up in the zone, you can't leave it over the plate, you've got to hit your spots," Ondrusek said. "From then to now, everyone was talking about Arizona, but I didn't believe it. Once I saw it and you see the balls that were hit, when I came in I had to really focus on working down in the zone."

I mean, at what age does someone learn they shouldn't leave ball up? High School? Low-A, High-A, Double A?

I don't mean to be rough on the guy because I think he's going to be a great pitcher but athletespeak gets to me sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Re: Among the dumbest cliches

The unspoken subtext there is, "because I used to be able to get away with mistake pitches and now I can't."
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    The unspoken subtext there is, "because I used to be able to get away with mistake pitches and now I can't."
    I guess I get that, but Ondrusek doesn't strike me as someone who ever could get away with mistake pitches. It's not like he's flown through the minors.
    I dunno, mountain:molehill
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

You can't pitch up in the zone? If you have a 94 mph fastball or a hard cutter that you can locate, you can...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Ya know the more I think about it, the more this gets to the difference in mindset between successful athletes and non athletes like me.

I read that quote and think to myself "Well that's dumb everyone knows that."
    And IslandRed wisely reminds me,
    And again i think to myself, "Well yeah, but everyone knows you want to keep the ball down, what did he think would happen when major league hitters got a hold of his mistake pitches?"

But the difference is that in order to get to where these guys are, you have to be so supremely confident in your stuff, that it takes getting beaten around before you eventually learn what you knew all along.

There I've talked myself out of being annoyed at the quote.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

It's not really a cliche', but it's highly annoying when Chris Welsh calls a drag bunt a "dookie drag." I mean, he totally made up that term, right? No one else has ever called it a dookie drag. It's just a drag bunt.

Welsh does crack me up with all his nicknames for a curve ball though. "That was a nice 'do drop in' right there." ... "Now that was a quality yacker." ... "Oh, he dropped in the 'ol Uncle Charlie on him."

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

"Uncle Charlie" is older than me.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Crash Davis: It's time to work on your interviews.
    Ebby Calvin LaLoosh: My interviews? What do I gotta do?
    Crash Davis: You're gonna have to learn your clichés. You're gonna have to study them, you're gonna have to know them. They're your friends. Write this down: "We gotta play it one day at a time."
    Ebby Calvin LaLoosh: Got to play... it's pretty boring.
    Crash Davis: 'Course it's boring, that's the point. Write it down.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    "Uncle Charlie" is older than me.
    I actually have an Uncle Charlie - and "Uncle Charlie" is probably even older than him.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Yeah, "Uncle Charlie" has been around for a long time as a nickname for a curve ball. But Welsh completely made up "dookie drag." I played me a lot of baseball and have watched even more. Never before have I heard anyone else call a drag bunt a dookie drag. LOL. I like Welsh though.

"Do drop in." LOL.

Turn Off Ads?