Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds in OPS

Reds in OPS

Here are the Reds players and their OPS rankings against their peers in all of Major League Baseball thus far in '10 (meaning not just National Leaguers, but all of baseball, by position):

Votto: 4th among 1st basemen
    Phillips: 7th
    Cabrera: 10th
    Rolen: 5th
    Gomes: 7th
    Stubbs: 18th
    Bruce 15th
    Catching platoon: 3rd

I estimated the catchers at .820 (Hanigan at .935, Hernandez at .737 and Hernandez with 105 plate appearance, Hanigan at 87). Important to also note that these stats come from fanhouse.com and the rankings I used were by qualifying players. In short, Heisey would be number 1 in all of left fielders based on his 25 at bats, but that dog don't hunt yet!
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: Reds in OPS

At fangraphs you can do this by position by team. It's a neat tool.

http://www.fangraphs.com/teams.aspx?...n=2010&month=0
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

High five!

It's even more fun to do by wOBA!

thanks. If things stayed exactly as are up until the all star team is announced, all the OPS numbers stayed the same, The reds remained in 1st place w/ (I think I heard correctly) the 6th best record in the majors, my guess is that non of those guys get a nod to the All star game.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    thanks. If things stayed exactly as are up until the all star team is announced, all the OPS numbers stayed the same, The reds remained in 1st place w/ (I think I heard correctly) the 6th best record in the majors, my guess is that non of those guys get a nod to the All star game.
    I don't know what everyone is worried about. Votto is a lock.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    He won't get the fan vote. Then he is competing with Howard, Fielder, and Gonzales for one maybe two spots. He very well should be the starting 1b in the all star game but he doesn't have that big name recognition.

Um, no he is not. He gets the least amount of fanfare out of Pujols (lock for votes), Howard (lock due to manager), Fielder, and probably Adrian Gonzalez. Based on production, he should be a lock, but the All-Star game doesnt work that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Um, no he is not. He gets the least amount of fanfare out of Pujols (lock for votes), Howard (lock due to manager), Fielder, and probably Adrian Gonzalez. Based on production, he should be a lock, but the All-Star game doesnt work that way.
    Agreed. And all of them - including Joey - should be on the team. But that isn't how it works. The Reds will have Leake, most likely, maybe Rolen and since they have at least one representative on the team, there's no obligation to pick anyone else no matter how deserving.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Leake, and I'd guess if they get a second, it will be Arthur Rhodes--who, if the NL decides to try to win the game, would make a lot of sense.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Agreed. And all of them - including Joey - should be on the team. But that isn't how it works. The Reds will have Leake, most likely, maybe Rolen and since they have at least one representative on the team, there's no obligation to pick anyone else no matter how deserving.
    Which would be slightly vexing as a Reds fan, considering that Leake and Rolen are the two Reds I'd most want to get actual time off over the All Star break.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Which would be slightly vexing as a Reds fan, considering that Leake and Rolen are the two Reds I'd most want to get actual time off over the All Star break.

Just because they are picked doesn't mean they will play. Especially with the expanded rosters. But that's the double edged sword for All Stars. You'd like them to get that time off - the Reds will have 4 days off - but you'd like to see your team's representatives do well.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I think Votto and Rolen will be the All-star reps.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

I agree. Votto is clearly the best 1B in the NL right now. He's better than Pujols, Howard, Fielder and Gonzalez. He's the only one beside Pujols with an OPS over .900, and his is over 100 points higher than Howards and Fielders. It's not like last year when Votto was just as good as these guys, right now he's better. Unless he slumps or gets hurt, he's going this July.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

You can see with wOBA that our offense skews a little towards slugging, making OPS a slight overstatement of our effectiveness, but you still have to be happy with the results. No position has been a black of suckitude.

Code:
    	     OPS	     wOBA
    C	.836	 3rd	.375	 3rd
    1B	.971	 4th	.420	 3rd
    2B	.782	 6th	.341	 7th
    SS	.733	 8th	.329	 9th
    3B	.787	12th	.337	14th
    RF	.766	20th	.344	18th
    CF	.707	17th	.323	15th
    LF	.810	 7th	.343	10th
    P	.526	 3rd	.236	 3rd
    Team	.782	 5th	.344	T5th
    It's incredible how bad the Astros offense has been. Their offense is collectively below replacement - a .601 OPS.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Interesting that Owings has the lowest BA of anyone on the team who's had an at bat ( that would be anyone, except a few RP)

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Turn Off Ads?