Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who will break camp as the 5th Starter?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wood

44 63.77%
  • Leake

25 36.23%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: POLL: Who breaks camp as the 5th Starter, Leake or Wood?

POLL: Who breaks camp as the 5th Starter, Leake or Wood?

Looks like it is coming down to the wire. Both are starting split-squad games today, which lines up for the 5th starter spot for April 11th.

Who WILL it be - not who you WANT it to be.

Wood with his 529 innings of minor league experience, albeit only 48 innings in AAA. The somewhat softer-tossing Lefty, who "learned how to pitch" after inury and surgery robbed him of 2-4 MPH on his fastball? Already used to the grind/schedule of major league baseball. Some say he is "due" this opportunity.

OR

Leake, the polished pitcher who left a year early after having nothing else to prove, who some say is the most MLB-ready pitcher in the draft since who knows when. The guy with 4 solid plus pitches, and a fastball that moves in the zone more than any prospect since maybe Greg Maddux. With a slight build and a ceiling that some say he's already at/near, so the argument is why waste his innings in the minors, there's nothing left to develop or gain from that "experience" for him.

Again, please Vote for who you think - or if you had to wager/bet - it would be. NOT who you'd like or want it to be.
    BUT, feel free to give your opinions and support on both!

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: POLL: Who breaks camp as the 5th Starter, Leake or Wood?

Gotta feeling it will be Wood.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

I'd lean toward Wood because of the fact that he has experience at the professional level and has had some measure of success. It will also be nice to have a southpaw in the rotation.
    In the long run Leake very well may have the better career, but as of right now I think it is a toss-up. I would like to see how Leake adjusts to starting every 5th day. I put no credence in the theory that he is as good as he will ever be and any innings he throws in the minors are 'wasted' innings. Slowing down his 'arb' clock is an added plus, as I don't feel the Reds have enough offense to be serious contenders this season. Hopefully, they prove me wrong on that count.
    An ideal scenario would be for both Harang and Arroyo to have strong first halves. Then the Reds can cash those particular chips in at the trading deadline and move Leake and Chapman (maybe Volquez) into the rotation. If the Arroyo and Harang trades add a couple of bats, or a free agent bat is inked over the winter, then 2011 might be the year.

A Lost Ball In High Weeds shredda2000's Avatar

All signs are pointing toward Wood...however, it could still be Maloney or Lehr at this point as well...
    "I don't want to embarrass any other catcher by comparing him to Johnny Bench."
    Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by shredda2000 View Post
    All signs are pointing toward Wood...however, it could still be Maloney or Lehr at this point as well...
    The Reds have basically said that it's going to be Leake, Wood, or Chapman. Maloney and Lehr were left to fight for a bullpen spot.

But I, too, think it will be Wood. Leake has no professional experience, and the Reds should at least want to see how he does against minor league hitters in games that actually count before bringing him up. Plus, I think the Reds are more willing to start Wood's arbitration clock than Leake's arbitration clock. Wood's control, or lack thereof, does concern me, though.

Prediction: Wood for all the reasons mentioned above. Lefty, experience, not wanting to start Leake's arbitration clock too soon.

Wish: Leake. I just think he's more ready. He's got so much movement and keeps the ball down. I think he's rookie of the year material. Only concern is whether he can handle the innings. Can he go 200 without hurting himself?

The real question is who gets traded, put on DL, or demoted for Chapman to move into the rotation by the end of May? I wonder if both Leake and Wood look good today, would they gamble and trade Arroyo or Harang to someone before Monday?

I voted Wood, although I'm hoping it's Leake. I'm afraid Wood would be overmatched and would suffer through a Bailey-esque first stint in the Bigs.

I also don't buy the "to save Leake's arb clock start" deal. Woods has the exact same issue.

I also don't buy the "Woods has more experience". He's only 9 months older than Leake. He has the experience of pitching every 5th day, but he's already been injured and has lost some of his fastball.

I do think Leake is the most ML-ready, and said so when he was drafted. I think his arm was tired at the end of his college run, and being overused in the CWS, otherwise I think he could have started games in September for us. He's really looked good thus far, and his style is well-suited for GABP, keeps the ball down and forces a lot of grounders.

Good problem to have, along with Chapman and Volquez, for the foreseeable future.
    With all the pitching prospects/ML ready guys we have, along with Alonso and some other major assets, I hope they move Harang and/or Arroyo for some big upgrades/prospect at SS, C, and LF.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Leake's performance teetering the totter in his favor, says most of tORG members in the game thread.
    Cowboy drooling over Leake's mastery of the lower strike zone, and worked fast and efficiently.

His line today:
    6.0 4H 2ER 1BB 2K 1HR

See what Wood does tonight, but apparently we've just seen what Leake brings to the table for 6 innings. Gave up one HR to lead off an inning, and gave up a sac fly other than that.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

I voted Wood, for any of the previously mentioned reasons. Let Leake show up every 5th Day for a bit of time at AAA. If Chapman continues to develop, it may well be a moot point anyway. At this point it desn't really matter, they've both shown strengths. My attention at this point is Stubbs. If he succeeds, this team should be a good one. Maybe very good.

Wood looked shaky last night, walked a lot of guys, threw a lot of pitches, not efficient.

Leake: 18 IP, 16 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 1 HR, 1 HBP, 4 BB, 10 K
    Wood: 18 IP, 15 H, 8 R, 7 ER, 2 HR, 1 HBP, 12 BB, 17 K

The biggest difference was the BB v K numbers. Leake isn't a K guy, he's a groundball-inducing machine.

Wood may have struggled due to trying to throw more off-speed pitches, which AZ makes for a big challenge, but that's a big number.

They may both start the season in the minors, since they're not needed until April 11th, but one of them is likely to start that game.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Going to be Wood. I'm about 100% on it.

He's more 'seasoned' and the Reds typically don't just start guys in the Majors without prior minor league experience of some type.

And should one of our starters go on the DL, Leake and not Chapman will probably get the call.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Pastor, dad and husband Mr Larkin's Avatar

My feeling is Wood. I would not be disappointed with that decision.

I would rather see Leake. I have been amazed at his poise. He acts like a major league player. For a guy fresh out of college he seems very prepared.

I want to change my vote to Leake.

Id have to imagine Leake is better suited for big league success at the moment. He simply doesnt walk guys 2 per 9 this spring is top 10 territory in the majors if I believe, and a 5:2 K/BB ratio would be top 30 or so if it translated to majors.

Having control makes me believe those numbers would translate including his 1.11 WHIP this spring. Will it translate to a 3.00 ERA? Doubtful but will it translate into success? I believe as a 5th starter its a safe bet.

I, like alot of you voted Wood but I want it to be Leake. Not that I'm rooting against Wood, but Leake has really impressed me with his control, and Wood scares me a little with how many walks he gave this spring although that could be due to the dry Arizona air.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

Turn Off Ads?