Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Twins OF hits foul ball that strikes his mother

Twins OF hits foul ball that strikes his mother

What are the odds of this?

Minnesota Twins outfielder Denard Span hit a foul ball that struck his mother in the chest in the first inning of Wednesday's spring training game against the New York Yankees.

Rest of the story: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring...ory?id=5043987

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: Twins OF hits foul ball that strikes his mother

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post

Minnesota Twins outfielder Denard Span hit a foul ball that struck his mother in the chest in the first inning of Wednesday's spring training game against the New York Yankees.

Rest of the story: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring...ory?id=5043987
    At Spring Training, the odds might not be that long. Good thing the Mom's OK.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

A former Orioles player (Jay Gibbons) accidently hit his wife with a foul ball during one of their regular season games a few years ago. I guess it does happen sometimes!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Didnt Chuck Knoblach hit Steve Lyon's mom with an errant throw?

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I believe it was Keith Olbermann's mom. But I'm fuzzy on that.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    A former Orioles player (Jay Gibbons) accidently hit his wife with a foul ball during one of their regular season games a few years ago. I guess it does happen sometimes!
    Accidently? Yeah, uh-huh, sure.

It's about
    the ball,
    the bat,
    the mitt,
    the bases,
    and the fans

During an August 17, 1957 game, Richie Ashburn hit a foul ball into the stands that struck spectator Alice Roth, wife of Philadelphia Bulletin sports editor Earl Roth, breaking her nose. When play resumed, Ashburn fouled off another ball that struck Roth while she was being carried off in a stretcher. Ashburn and Roth would maintain a friendship for many years and her son later served as a Phillies batboy.

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    actually they are 100%

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Yea, but the smaller group is the list of people Knoblach DIDN'T hit with an errant throw. :ughmamoru

"Okay you guys, pair up in threes!" --Yogi Berra

MAY 14, 1939… HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY AND WELCOME TO THE BIG LEAGUES, MOM!!…Bob Feller, the Cleveland Indians’ 20-year-old pitching sensation, is visited by his parents on ‘Mother’s Day’ at Chicago’s Comiskey Park. The Feller’s, making the trip from the family farm in Van Meter, Iowa, are given box seats along the first base line. Mrs. Feller, watching her son pitch in the major leagues for the first time, is struck by a foul ball that breaks her eyeglasses, cuts her head, and knocks her unconscious for a brief time. Indians 9, White Sox 4.

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    You sure it was an accident.

I was home yesterday and saw this. They, of course, didn't know at first it was his mother but the ESPN announcers were speculating that it could be someone in his family. Looks like all is well though.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I have a vague recollection that somebody hit a home run in spring training that landed in the parking lot and broke his own windshield. I want to say that it happened to an Angels player in '61, and that the reason I know about it is that Nuxy was an Angel that year and told the story. Anyone else remember this?
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    I have a vague recollection that somebody hit a home run in spring training that landed in the parking lot and broke his own windshield. I want to say that it happened to an Angels player in '61, and that the reason I know about it is that Nuxy was an Angel that year and told the story. Anyone else remember this?
    Nux told that story and it was in KC in 61, I saw him live at a banquet and heard him tell the story there.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    You sure it was an accident.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Accidently? Yeah, uh-huh, sure.
    IIRC, his wife is a lawyer. I sincerely doubt he was trying to hit her on purpose due to the fear that she would sue him for it, LOL :
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Turn Off Ads?