Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Anyone Getting An IPad?

Re: Anyone Getting An IPad?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I already have an iPhone -- as of right now, I don't see anything that the iPad can do that screams "must buy."
    I feel the same.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    With MLB 2010, you can. When you are listening to the game, in the top right corner is a button you can press that lets you listen to the game through Safari. Because Safari is not an application, but part of the phone, you can listen to the game through it and use all other programs, even Safari, at the same time.
    Wow, I did not realize this. Thanks for the heads up.

Here is what I would want included to get an iPad:

1) Word Processing and Spreadsheets with an easy keyboard interface. I would want to use this as a "basic" laptop where I can surf the net and do simple word processing. On my personal laptop this is all I really do at home. I'm still not sold that the virtual keyboard is the best thing going either. It's usually pretty easy to use on the iPhone and I assume the larger keyboard is easier to use but I still can't see myself writing long emails or anything on it...just quick notes.

2) Tethering or Compatability with iPhone. I have my iPhone and I pay the monthly fee for my phone bill. If I have an iPad why can't I either get internet through that contract or at the very least hook up my iPhone as a tether. I would never pay my monthly phone bill and then pay another monthly bill for an iPad. Maybe this is already set up like this but I haven't seen it.

If those were both included and the iPad could act like a more mobile laptop I could get onboard. But right now my iPhone and laptop are more than good enough for me.

This review hits a lot of what I feel about the IPad including this part that really hits the nail on the head:

It doesn't replace anything

The iPad will not replace your smartphone. Unless you can't type, it won't replace your laptop. If you love books, you could argue it's a great e-book reader, but let's see what your wrists say after a few days. The Kindle is a better e-reader. Frankly, we're not sure what need the iPad fills, other than the desire to be cool by owning a device that is in a class all its own.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Frankly, we're not sure what need the iPad fills, other than the desire to be cool by owning a device that is in a class all its own.
    It's a sandbox device -- the utility of the device will come from software written. The potential is enormous. Maybe it's not what you need or doesn't fill a need at this very second, but to dismiss it out of hand the way lots of people are is amusing.

It's very much like reviewing a video game console based just on whatever game is packed in and claiming that it'll never amount to anything more.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

It's a sandbox device -- the utility of the device will come from software written. The potential is enormous. Maybe it's not what you need or doesn't fill a need at this very second, but to dismiss it out of hand the way lots of people are is amusing.

It's very much like reviewing a video game console based just on whatever game is packed in and claiming that it'll never amount to anything more.
    I'd love to have one. I think it'd be great. However, what I really need is a new laptop for work and that's where my money is headed.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I use my phone extensively, especially in my job. I find myself cursing the lack of multi-tasking regularly..... to the point that if the 4g does not have it I will switch back to Verizon and get the droid.
    Your wish has, apparently, been answered by Apple. Multi-tasking support coming to the iPhone this summer w/ iPhone 4.0.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Your wish has, apparently, been answered by Apple. Multi-tasking support coming to the iPhone this summer w/ iPhone 4.0.
    Quick- wish for the iPhone to come to Verizon!

I'm toolsy.

But only if you own the newest 3GS version. 2G and 3G phones will get part of the update, but not the multitasking function. Also, a new 4G phone is due out this summer / fall. I haven't seen any articles yet with solid info on the features of the new phone.

It's multi-tasking "lite." You can have multiple programs open, but they're not going to be fully functional in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    It's multi-tasking "lite." You can have multiple programs open, but they're not going to be fully functional in the background.
    Ricky Bobby: "Why do you need the stereo and the TV on at the same time?"
    Cal: "Cuz I like to party."

That's probably adequate on a phone for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    That's probably adequate on a phone for the most part.
    For a lot of current smartphone users, you're probably correct. On the other hand, the iPad is not a phone so people expect it to do more (and should, for the asking price).

I'm partial: I use Palm's webOS which features true multi-tasking. It's one of those things that, after you use it, you'll be astonished at how much it improves the user experience.

For a lot of current smartphone users, you're probably correct. On the other hand, the iPad is not a phone so people expect it to do more (and should, for the asking price).

I'm partial: I use Palm's webOS which features true multi-tasking. It's one of those things that, after you use it, you'll be astonished at how much it improves the user experience.
    I hear you on the Ipad, as for the phone, it's not like I'd be running batch task in the back ground like I would with a computer although I could see it mattering if you had some sort of biz app that you were running.

-
    Last edited by durl; 04-09-2010 at 02:19 PM.

Turn Off Ads?