Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Getting An IPad?

Re: Anyone Getting An IPad?

I don't need an Ipad. Just last week I taped my Ipod touch to the top of my laptop.
    My name is Cheesy Beef Burrito

2. Turn Off Ads?

If you don't think of it as a computer and instead of just a really nice media consumption device, you'll be much less disappointed.

Want to watch movies on a plane? Want to read books on the train? Want look up an actor IMDB while watching a movie on your sofa? Laptops are clunky for all of those things. The kindle is extremely limited. As a media consumption device, it is incomparable.

As for the lack of flash, I think you're going to see most big flash sites recoding in HTML 5 sooner rather than later.

That said, I'm certainly waiting until there's more public reaction and for google to announce their tablet.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 04-01-2010 at 12:33 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    If you don't think of it as a computer and instead of just a really nice media consumption device, you'll be much less disappointed.

Want to watch movies on a plane? Want to read books on the train? Want look up an actor IMDB while watching a movie on your sofa? Laptops are clunky for all of those things. The kindle is extremely limited. As a media consumption device, it is incomparable.

As for the lack of flash, I think you're going to see most big flash sites recoding in HTML 5 sooner rather than later.
    I hope it has a better battery than my Iphone if you want to do any of those things for very long.

I'm just very surprised by some of its' flaws.... and I LOVE my Iphone
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post

The next question is: when you take that plane ride will you be willing to leave your Macbook (or netbook) at home or will it become an additional device to carry? Some will, but I would guess that many will not. The Kindle has a narrow purpose, but it's price point is also within people's expectations for such a device.

For use at home, a netbook or laptop may be more clunky but a lot of people have them already and the iPad lacks their versatility, and their more affordable price.

I like the concept of the iPad...and the look. Now, if it had the webOS platform (recent Palm devices) that allows multitasking and, in the near future, Flash support, it would be more appealing to me. Well, and the price would have to come down to the netbook price range.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Namely no multitasking, USB or Flash. Dumb.
    What amazes me is that I got to play around with a prototype Apple tablet at a conference seven years ago, and the current ipad shows shockingly little improvement over said concept. I think Apple is simply using first gen sales to cash in before adding the necessary features for round two. And it will probably work.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I hope it has a better battery than my Iphone if you want to do any of those things for very long.

I'm just very surprised by some of its' flaws.... and I LOVE my Iphone
    The last review I read said he got 12 consecutive hours of video play.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    The next question is: when you take that plane ride will you be willing to leave your Macbook (or netbook) at home or will it become an additional device to carry? Some will, but I would guess that many will not. The Kindle has a narrow purpose, but it's price point is also within people's expectations for such a device.

For use at home, a netbook or laptop may be more clunky but a lot of people have them already and the iPad lacks their versatility, and their more affordable price.

I like the concept of the iPad...and the look. Now, if it had the webOS platform (recent Palm devices) that allows multitasking and, in the near future, Flash support, it would be more appealing to me. Well, and the price would have to come down to the netbook price range.
    Unless I needed to do some heavy content development, beyond email, I'd have no problem leaving my laptop at home.

It is not and is not meant to be a device that makes the laptop irrelevant, but frankly, I found netbooks to be virtually useless, the worst of both worlds if you will. From a functionality perspective, they still are poor excuses for a full-sized functioned computer, which is what I'd want to use do video editing, presentation creation, data analysis or what have you. And the form factor is still inconvenient to use in many places, particularly when you're not sitting down. I personally find tracking pads and button cursors relatively clunky to use and love the touch interface for the type of interactions you have when consuming media or playing games.

I'm not an apple fanboy, and I still would like to see them included some sort of keyboard (perhaps on the back of the device where your fingers would go when holding it two-handed), but I think people generally don't appreciate the trade-off apple chooses to make. Yes, you give up the last 10-20% of functionality, but that is more than made up for by a much better experience for the stuff you do most often.

In any event, it will be interesting to hear the reactions once people get it in their hands.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 04-01-2010 at 01:38 PM.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Everyone is predicting multi-tasking support will be available in iPhone OS 4.0, which is rumored for release this summer.

And, as someone already said, Flash is kind of on the way out -- lots of sites are announcing support for HTML5 (some for the express reason of supporting the iPad).
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

High five!

It's going to be a pretty interesting device in my world. I'm doing a gig in two days where an iPad, given the software and hardware, would be incredibly useful. My iPhone can almost do it but it's just too small to see certain things. Instead, I'll be using my wife's Macbook.

Interestingly, my wife has shown the most interest in the iPad; it would suit her computer needs almost perfectly.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Big iPad news today -- Netflix will have an app available for the iPad at launch that will support streaming video to the device:

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/04/01/...reaming-video/

As noted by AppAdvice, one of the launch apps for the iPad App Store will be a Free Netflix application that will allow current Netflix customers to stream video directly to their device. The authenticity of the app is confirmed on AppShopper. From the app description:
    Get Netflix on your iPad. Just download this free app and you can instantly watch TV shows & movies streaming from Netflix.

- Watch as often as you want
    - It's part of your unlimited Netflix membership
    - Resume watching where you left off on your TV or computer
    - Browse movies and manage your Queue right from your iPad

Not a Netflix member? Join today and get a 2-week free trial.

The Free Netflix application will be available in the iPad App Store on launch.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I think Apple can market this to college students if they can get textbook companies to publish e-books on the I pad. Than all a student would need is one of these and they'd have a laptop, their book, and all the diversions necessary for class.

This I can see, however you can get textbooks electronically already. I've tried it and honestly sometimes it is just a lot easier to have the physical book. I don't think it can really replace a laptop either. Typing on a touch screen is just way too inconvenient for my tastes. Then there is the whole multi-tasking issue. I'm not an Apple fan admitedly, but I see this as just another product that they are trying to produce hype about and get as many people as possible to shell out some big bucks because it is a new Apple product and that means its cool. Obviously, I'm not saying you are a fool for buying it or being an Apple fan. Most of the Apple products have a very useful place in the tech world.

Amazingly, this product seems devoid of any real advantages to what Apple already makes other than being a bigger screen for an IPod touch. Sure, it could find a place as and eReader, but that seems rather underwhelming for such a machine considering it is already done on other platforms such as the Kindle. I guess I could just be obtuse, but I really don't understand why someone would shell out the money for this product.

iPod and iPad exist.

Which one will be next in Apple's product line?

iPed
    iPid
    iPud
    or
    iPyd

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I think Apple can market this to college students if they can get textbook companies to publish e-books on the I pad. Than all a student would need is one of these and they'd have a laptop, their book, and all the diversions necessary for class.
    And I still won't let them use it in my class.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

There is rumored to be a second version of the iPad in the pipeline that will run the full-blown Mac OS. Don't know if it will have USB, but that would address the other two limitations you pointed out.

Personally, I've been primarily a Mac user for 20+ years, but I'm quite content to use a Windows XP netbook for my mobile and living room computer/Internet needs. The netbook has over 3 hours of battery life, weighs less than 2 pounds, and it cost me less than half of the list price for the cheapest iPad.

I already have an iPod Touch, so I know the limitations of that OS. I was hoping that the first release of the iPad would run the Mac OS. That would have made it hard for me to resist.
    Last edited by Unassisted; 04-01-2010 at 03:12 PM.
    /r/reds

I think apple is using the IPad to attack several different products. They are going after the Kindle and Netbooks mainly. There will be some flaws corrected by the second version of the IPad. I just don't see this product flopping.

Turn Off Ads?