Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Could there be a deal soon?

Could there be a deal soon?

Fay on twitter tonight:
    # John Fay johnfayman

RT @lumedderds: @johnfayman think they may be trying to work a deal, or deals, for some guys? I don't know. Think delay invovles roster. 31 minutes ago via TweetDeck

# John Fay johnfayman

Baker on 5th starter: "A few things we've got to discuss first. We'll see. A lot more to it than being the fifth starter." #reds
    First of all, I think this delay clearly means they like Leake more than Wood. Wood's highest praise in comparison to Leake was that he pitched every 5 days in the minors and Leake has not. I've never heard that come up before as a serious concern. "OMG, can he pitch ever 5 days?!?!"

Like Fay says, the delay involves the roster.

It could be as simple as cutting Sutton or Miles to bring up Leake, but is it that hard of a choice? Does it amount to all this hand wringing?

It seams just as likely that they're considering a proposal from another team involving who knows who...Maloney, Wood, Juan, Yonder, Wlad, C Dick, Burton, Ondrusek, and on and on.

With names like that involved it could go from a meh deal to a sizable one pretty quickly. GM Jr. rumors won't quit, which would make the town go nuts. I don't know, it's probably nothing, but a good deal for the right player would be exciting and relieve some of the roster pressure...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Could there be a deal soon?

I'm ready to know. I guess we will know soon enough.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Interesting. I keep checking back here to see the cuts, and I'm surprised it hasn't happened. I think a deal is in the works. Too many players is a good thing.........so I think they're going to deal a few of them.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I don't see anything major happening. We'll see a player with no options cut if they decide to keep Leake up, but the chances of Leake winning the 5th starter job are slim imo. It'll be Maloney or Wood.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

I think there's a chance they're moving pitching, if they're moving anyone, since Volquez is waiting in the wings this season at at some point.

They may look at it like

Harang/Arroyo
    Bailey
    Cueto
    Volquez
    Leake
    Chapman
    Wood
    Maloney
    Lehr

That's an embarrassment of wealth for next year. Even for this year. Although, none has "proven" much over the course of the last 12 months in the majors, expectations around the league are high.

Of the one's they'd definitely keep: Chapman, Bailey, Leake

Tradable: Harang, Arroyo, Wood, Cueto, Volquez, Maloney

Just my opinion. But if they were planning on stashing their top 3 pitching prospects (Wood, Chapman, Leake) in the minors, like I was expecting, they would have done it by now and sent Maloney up. Now the forcast looks different if Volquez is ready and would bump the young talented 5th starter. Maloney or Lehr wouldn't have hurt as much.

cueto and volquez under tradable? no way.

Volquez is injured, so he isn't able to be traded, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Larkin View Post
    Volquez is injured, so he isn't able to be traded, correct?
    He could be the omnipresent player to be named later, I believe. So, in effect, you could trade him.

But, as in actually including him in a trade currently, you can't really trade a person on the DL.

I found this online.

Players to be Named
    A team may make a trade involving a player to be named at a later date. There are two restrictions on deals involving players to be named. Any transaction made in this manner must be completed within 6 months of the initial transaction. Also the player to be named cannot have played in the same league as the team he is being traded to. A player on the disabled list can be traded as a player to be named. This happens because players on the disabled list cannot be traded while they are disabled.
    So a player on the disabled list cannot be announced in a trade. However, there can be a handshake deal between the two GMs that the player on the disabled list will be the player to be named later. Once the player comes off the DL the trade can be completed. Technically, you cannot trade a player on the DL. Effectively, you can.

I think this happened with Dallas Buck in the Adam Dunn deal. I am sure someone will step up and correct me if I'm mistaken.

Turn Off Ads?