Turn Off Ads?

Thread: No [real] cuts today

No [real] cuts today

Fisher and Miller were reassigned to minor league camp. The 5th starter job waits another day to be decided.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: No [real] cuts today

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Fisher and Miller were reassigned to minor league camp. The 5th starter job waits another day to be decided.
    Wouldn't Fisher need to be optioned? He's on he 40 man roster.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

You are correct.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Hmmm. I'm seeing that Fisher was optioned to Louisville but nothing on Corky. Louisville's roster already lists Castillo and Denove as catchers.

there's Leake's spot on the 40

there's Leake's spot on the 40
    Optioning Fisher does not take him off the 40-man.

Need a Mr. Mackey voice from South Park:

Cuts are hard, mmmmkay?

I may be wrong, but I don't think the 40 is a problem. I count 41 now including Volquez and Bray. Volquez is already on the 60 DL and I would expect Bray will be also. That leaves one opening before they need to DFA someone. A problem would occur only if they decided to add both Leake and Lehr.

http://reds.mlb.com/team/roster_40man.jsp?c_id=cin

Damn, it would be fun to be a fly on the wall in the meetings. There are so many dimensions to consider....putting best team on the field based on spring showing, contracts and FA, giving the benefit of a doubt to veterans who have not had a good spring, trying to work a trade rather than releasing a player.......

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    I may be wrong, but I don't think the 40 is a problem. I count 41 now including Volquez and Bray. Volquez is already on the 60 DL and I would expect Bray will be also. That leaves one opening before they need to DFA someone. A problem would occur only if they decided to add both Leake and Lehr.

http://reds.mlb.com/team/roster_40man.jsp?c_id=cin

Damn, it would be fun to be a fly on the wall in the meetings. There are so many dimensions to consider....putting best team on the field based on spring showing, contracts and FA, giving the benefit of a doubt to veterans who have not had a good spring, trying to work a trade rather than releasing a player.......
    IIRC, Bray was optioned and counts on the 40 man. If he goes on the DL it will be as a minor leaguer to avoid accruing service time and it doesn't clear a spot.

Team needs to find a taker for guys like Lincoln and Miles and I'd guess its what is holding things up.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Team needs to find a taker for guys like Lincoln and Miles and I'd guess its what is holding things up.
    Bunch of teams are in the same spot with players they don't want. In almost all cases, teams will end up having to keep those guys or release them. Very few trades will be made.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Bunch of teams are in the same spot with players they don't want. In almost all cases, teams will end up having to keep those guys or release them. Very few trades will be made.
    Probably right, but I think they are holding out until they absolutely have to make the moves.

Not sure why they can't go ahead and make moves with guys like Burke, Cairo and Wells though. Maybe their tickets for AAA are in doubt in case the team ends up with Lincoln and Miles there.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    IIRC, Bray was optioned and counts on the 40 man. If he goes on the DL it will be as a minor leaguer to avoid accruing service time and it doesn't clear a spot.
    Thanks, 123. That's informative. I'm trying to learn the ins and outs of this.

The Reds faced a decision of freeing up a 40 man spot and allowing Bray to earn ML service time, or optioning him and keeping him on the 40 man roster. What makes this decision even more interesting is that Bray has 2.091 years of ML service. An entire year of ML service would breach the 3 YR threshold, and make him arbitration eligible in 2011. Could the Reds recall him in May and immediately put him on the 60 DL? That would delay attaining 3 YRS until the 2011 season and postpone arb eligibility until 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    Thanks, 123. That's informative. I'm trying to learn the ins and outs of this.

The Reds faced a decision of freeing up a 40 man spot and allowing Bray to earn ML service time, or optioning him and keeping him on the 40 man roster. What makes this decision even more interesting is that Bray has 2.091 years of ML service. An entire year of ML service would breach the 3 YR threshold, and make him arbitration eligible in 2011. Could the Reds recall him in May and immediately put him on the 60 DL? That would delay attaining 3 YRS until the 2011 season and postpone arb eligibility until 2012.
    Good thought, but if he has 2.091 and was put on the 60 day in May and stayed there or up for the rest of the year, he'd probably be a Super two anyway. If they waited until July it might work, but I hope he's pitchiing and helping the team by then.

Turn Off Ads?