Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: No [real] cuts today

  1. #1
    Tired of talk. Win! Joseph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Commonwealth
    Posts
    8,350

    No [real] cuts today

    Fisher and Miller were reassigned to minor league camp. The 5th starter job waits another day to be decided.

    Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,722

    Re: No [real] cuts today

    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Fisher and Miller were reassigned to minor league camp. The 5th starter job waits another day to be decided.
    Wouldn't Fisher need to be optioned? He's on he 40 man roster.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  4. #3
    Tired of talk. Win! Joseph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Commonwealth
    Posts
    8,350

    Re: No [real] cuts today

    You are correct.

    Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

  5. #4
    Member GOYA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    5,143

    Re: No [real] cuts today

    Hmmm. I'm seeing that Fisher was optioned to Louisville but nothing on Corky. Louisville's roster already lists Castillo and Denove as catchers.

  6. #5
    Member icehole3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Posts
    3,109

    Re: No [real] cuts today

    there's Leake's spot on the 40

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Shelburne Falls, MA
    Posts
    10,070

    Re: No [real] cuts today

    there's Leake's spot on the 40
    Optioning Fisher does not take him off the 40-man.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

  8. #7
    Member membengal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    8,991

    Re: No [real] cuts today

    Need a Mr. Mackey voice from South Park:

    Cuts are hard, mmmmkay?

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,155

    Re: No [real] cuts today

    I may be wrong, but I don't think the 40 is a problem. I count 41 now including Volquez and Bray. Volquez is already on the 60 DL and I would expect Bray will be also. That leaves one opening before they need to DFA someone. A problem would occur only if they decided to add both Leake and Lehr.


    http://reds.mlb.com/team/roster_40man.jsp?c_id=cin

    Damn, it would be fun to be a fly on the wall in the meetings. There are so many dimensions to consider....putting best team on the field based on spring showing, contracts and FA, giving the benefit of a doubt to veterans who have not had a good spring, trying to work a trade rather than releasing a player.......

  10. #9
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,722

    Re: No [real] cuts today

    Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    I may be wrong, but I don't think the 40 is a problem. I count 41 now including Volquez and Bray. Volquez is already on the 60 DL and I would expect Bray will be also. That leaves one opening before they need to DFA someone. A problem would occur only if they decided to add both Leake and Lehr.


    http://reds.mlb.com/team/roster_40man.jsp?c_id=cin

    Damn, it would be fun to be a fly on the wall in the meetings. There are so many dimensions to consider....putting best team on the field based on spring showing, contracts and FA, giving the benefit of a doubt to veterans who have not had a good spring, trying to work a trade rather than releasing a player.......
    IIRC, Bray was optioned and counts on the 40 man. If he goes on the DL it will be as a minor leaguer to avoid accruing service time and it doesn't clear a spot.

    Team needs to find a taker for guys like Lincoln and Miles and I'd guess its what is holding things up.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Shelburne Falls, MA
    Posts
    10,070

    Re: No [real] cuts today

    Team needs to find a taker for guys like Lincoln and Miles and I'd guess its what is holding things up.
    Bunch of teams are in the same spot with players they don't want. In almost all cases, teams will end up having to keep those guys or release them. Very few trades will be made.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

  12. #11
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,722

    Re: No [real] cuts today

    Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Bunch of teams are in the same spot with players they don't want. In almost all cases, teams will end up having to keep those guys or release them. Very few trades will be made.
    Probably right, but I think they are holding out until they absolutely have to make the moves.

    Not sure why they can't go ahead and make moves with guys like Burke, Cairo and Wells though. Maybe their tickets for AAA are in doubt in case the team ends up with Lincoln and Miles there.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,155

    Re: No [real] cuts today

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    IIRC, Bray was optioned and counts on the 40 man. If he goes on the DL it will be as a minor leaguer to avoid accruing service time and it doesn't clear a spot.
    Thanks, 123. That's informative. I'm trying to learn the ins and outs of this.

    The Reds faced a decision of freeing up a 40 man spot and allowing Bray to earn ML service time, or optioning him and keeping him on the 40 man roster. What makes this decision even more interesting is that Bray has 2.091 years of ML service. An entire year of ML service would breach the 3 YR threshold, and make him arbitration eligible in 2011. Could the Reds recall him in May and immediately put him on the 60 DL? That would delay attaining 3 YRS until the 2011 season and postpone arb eligibility until 2012.

  14. #13
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,722

    Re: No [real] cuts today

    Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    Thanks, 123. That's informative. I'm trying to learn the ins and outs of this.

    The Reds faced a decision of freeing up a 40 man spot and allowing Bray to earn ML service time, or optioning him and keeping him on the 40 man roster. What makes this decision even more interesting is that Bray has 2.091 years of ML service. An entire year of ML service would breach the 3 YR threshold, and make him arbitration eligible in 2011. Could the Reds recall him in May and immediately put him on the 60 DL? That would delay attaining 3 YRS until the 2011 season and postpone arb eligibility until 2012.
    Good thought, but if he has 2.091 and was put on the 60 day in May and stayed there or up for the rest of the year, he'd probably be a Super two anyway. If they waited until July it might work, but I hope he's pitchiing and helping the team by then.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25