Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Sheldon: Mike Leake named 5th starter

Re: Sheldon: Mike Leake named 5th starter

Are there specific events or is it all just relying on Walt's quotes, some spring training performances and "feelings".
    Some is anecdotal. Some is based on his performance record. Don't forget, his college numbers -- in a top conference -- were unearthly good in 2009. Pitched well in the AFL (vs top minor league hitters) and in ST. In other words, the kid has delivered in every opportunity so far.

You don't think Bryan Price knows what he's looking at?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Some is anecdotal. Some is based on his performance record. Don't forget, his college numbers -- in a top conference -- were unearthly good in 2009. Pitched well in the AFL (vs top minor league hitters) and in ST. In other words, the kid has delivered in every opportunity so far.

good point about Price. i suspect he had major input into keeping Leake & sending Wood & Chapman to AAA. i suspect not all the Reds Brass are the idiots so many think they are & some of them may even know more than us fans.

You know, I get the standpoint of those who think Leake is perhaps being unjustly rushed. But, at worst, this will make the current state of the team more interesting to watch. That does mean something to me who has to sit there and watch 150 games a year. For the time being it's nice to actually have another reason to want to watch a game.

As for the actual merits of the deicsion, we're not talking about a 19 year old who lacks experience. Leake may have not pitched professionall yet, but he's 22 and has been scouted as being near major league ready at the time of the draft. If he's not in the majors, he may as well be in AAA. He is that polished, so I see this as basically skipping one level. He would hardly be the first guy to make that type of jump successfully. He may be doinh it in a different way than the norm, but again, he's not 19 years old. based on where is developmentally, the amount of lessons he would learn in AAA are probably pretty minor.

Sure, he's likely to have some bumps in the road in the majors, but that's true for just about any pitcher. He may as well take them now if he looks ready. In the end, you might find that come mid year, he is ready to be a GOOD major league pitcher because of the development he gets in the majors right now. Development doesnt end in AAA, quite the opposite really. He needs to transform into a big league starter at some point, so I don't understand why that transformation cant happen right now for a 22 year old that is widely considered the most polished prospect in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    good point about Price. i suspect he had major input into keeping Leake & sending Wood & Chapman to AAA. i suspect not all the Reds Brass are the idiots so many think they are & some of them may even know more than us fans.
    But none have much experience running a guy out there right out of college, so how can they know much more than anybody?

FWIW, performance is the last thing I'm worried about. I expect every young starter is going to get cuffed around for about his first 200 big league innings or so (any that skip the lump taking I consider a nice surprise). From that standpoint, I'm glad we're getting a big chunk of that out of the way. Its just health that concerns me. I'm not even worried about the inning load for the season, I just don't want him to have to pitch in a big league race while he adjusts to the 5 man routine. Circumstances with the rest of the staff may force him to stay in too long when he should be going slow during the adjustment. After he's adjusted, turn him loose, but until then, I don't see why taking a risk with one of the team's core players is worth it when there are plenty of other options to buy some adjustment time.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Can we all remember that when Maddux came up, he threw 95?

The next time Mike Leake throws 95 will be the first time.

I see him more as a right handed Jamie Moyer. That ain't bad. but i don't think he's there yet.

A pretty smart poster, that almost never posts here anymore said it best... coddle thy pitchers.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post

I see him more as a right handed Jamie Moyer. That ain't bad. but i don't think he's there yet.
    Maddux could throw 95, but he didn't do it often. Just like Leake can throw 94, but doesn't do it often. Surely there should never be a comparison until Leake you know, goes out and puts up an all time great season or 3.

A pretty smart poster, that almost never posts here anymore said it best... coddle thy pitchers.
    Not saying Leake should even be mentioned with Greg Maddox, but Maddox could hit 95, but stayed at around 90-92. Leake can hit 94, but stays at 89-91. Really not a whole lot of difference in their velocity.

There is a difference in that far fewer pitchers threw 95 when Maddox came up, so Leake at 94 should be less effective that when Maddox first came up and hit 95.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

But none have much experience running a guy out there right out of college, so how can they know much more than anybody?
    Pitchers are pitchers. They know what they're looking at.

Pitchers are pitchers. They know what they're looking at.
    Maybe from a performance standpoint, but from a health risk standpoint, its pretty uncharted water. Why risk it?
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Maybe from a performance standpoint, but from a health risk standpoint, its pretty uncharted water. Why risk it?
    It isn't really uncharted for a guy to be drafted June of XXXX year and debut in April of XXXX+1 year.

Some would say the smart play from a health perspective is to get as many major league innings as you can from a pitcher who looks as if he may be ready. (In other words, err on the side of promoting too soon instead of too late.)

I see no difference in the injury risk whether Leake's in the majors or minors.

Pitchability has no relation to who the hitters are. It describes a pitcher's ability to command multiple pitches well -- any pitch in any count.
    All well and good. Let's see how well he commands his multiple pitches once he's facing actual MLB hitters in actual MLB games. You can't say the guy has great MLB command when he hasn't pitched a single MLB inning.

The world is littered with guys who tore up collage and the minors and flamed out at MLB level despite their 'pitchability' (which might be the dumbest word ever).

You don't think Bryan Price is the only guy who made the decision do you? Besides this is the Reds we are talking about. It's not like they have a stellar track record this century of making rock solid decisions.

You make piss poor decisions long enough you really ought not be surprised when the all the buying public doesn't slurp up your every last word as gospel truth anymore.

Someone else pointed out that at least he's the 5th starter so it's not like he's the #1 guy, but yea....if this kid is THAT good wouldn't you want to do everything you can to make sure he's around for as long as possible?

You can't say the guy has great MLB command when he hasn't pitched a single MLB inning.
    The kid has command. It's like saying Chapman throws hard.

The world is littered with guys who tore up collage and the minors and flamed out at MLB level despite their 'pitchability' (which might be the dumbest word ever).
    Name a couple. Yeah, they're out there, but you're just vomiting bile.

You don't think Bryan Price is the only guy who made the decision do you? Besides this is the Reds we are talking about. It's not like they have a stellar track record this century of making rock solid decisions.
    Bitter, table for one?

Opening day is tomorrow, and you're miserable. Must suck.

He wasn't my choice for 5th starter. I think the potential for harm outweighs the POSSIBLE benefit he brings. I think sending him to AA or AAA for three months and telling him he needs to learn a few things isn't a bad idea. In fact I think its the smartest idea. The Nats have the consensus best pitching prospect in baseball, and they are sending him to AA. There are things to learn. subtleties of the game, the routine, the grind etc. He's missing an opportunity to learn from a guy like Lehr. Instead he's being given the keys to the team sportscar the week he gets his license.

He might not crash. but would you give your teenager the keys his first week as a licensed driver? Maybe for an older car, say a 1994 Ford Tempo. you gradually ease him up to the Mustang.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

He wasn't my choice for 5th starter. I think the potential for harm outweighs the POSSIBLE benefit he brings. I think sending him to AA or AAA for three months and telling him he needs to learn a few things isn't a bad idea. In fact I think its the smartest idea. The Nats have the consensus best pitching prospect in baseball, and they are sending him to AA. There are things to learn. subtleties of the game, the routine, the grind etc. He's missing an opportunity to learn from a guy like Lehr. Instead he's being given the keys to the team sportscar the week he gets his license.

He might not crash. but would you give your teenager the keys his first week as a licensed driver? Maybe for an older car, say a 1994 Ford Tempo. you gradually ease him up to the Mustang.
    And that guy in Washington isn't there for opening day because of monetary reasons, that's it.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Turn Off Ads?