Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Louisville pitching staff

Louisville pitching staff

I'm curious how the pitching will shake out at Louisville now. It seems as though there are too many arms for the roster. Most of the principals--actually, I'd say just about ALL--seem to have outgrown AA.

I don't know if Thompson and Bray are ready to go or will start the season on the DL. But for now, I'll count them in the mix.

Starters:
    Wood
    Chapman
    Lehr
    Maloney
    Klinker
    Lecure
    Jukich
    Thompson

That's eight. Seven if Thompson isn't ready. Or Thompson could go to the bullpen. So could Jukich. And it's feasible that Maloney may, as well, considering how he was used at the end of spring training. But it's not like there's a lot of room in the pen, either.

Relievers:
    Burton
    Fisher
    Adkins
    Del Rosario
    Bray
    Viola
    Krebs
    Young

That's eight before you get to Maloney, Thompson or Jukich. Bray or even Fisher might be DL candidates, I suppose. But it's still a surfeit, seems to me. Bear in mind, the active roster limit is, I believe, 24.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Louisville pitching staff

Yep. This problem is all around.

Catcher: Denove, Miller, Yarbourough, Castillo

IF: Alonso, Burke, Sutton, Valaika, Cozart, Frazier and eventually Francisco also maybe Eyman and Griffin.

OF: Heisey, Anderson, Terrero, Dorn, maybe Henry

I think some guys will be let go.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

FWIW, Eymann and Henry are listed on the Carolina roster.

But yeah, I was going to get to the everyday guys. Something's got to give, it would appear.

According to Matt Klinker, he'll begin the season in Double-A Carolina.

From Redleg Nation:

Two days left in spring training and I received my assignment today: starter for the Carolina Mudcats. I left the complex on Thursday thinking my chances of breaking with Louisville were about 50/50. I felt good about my performance in camp, but with the number of guys still in big league camp fighting for the fifth spot, I had a sinking feeling things were about to flow downhill.
    http://redlegnation.com/2010/04/02/j...g-to-carolina/

Interesting. This is the kind of thing that reveals the Reds in a very compelling position. I mean, Klinker had five starts at AAA toward the end of last season, and in 29 innings put up a 2.48 ERA with 30 K. And there's no room for him. That's pretty impressive.

Starters: Apparently Wood, Chapman, Maloney, Lehr, Lecure. Jukich is not quite ready to go due to inactivity while with St. Louis. Bullpen: Burton, Fisher, Del Rosario, Viola, Reineke, Adkins, Delgado, Baez, still a move or two to make.

Klinker joined in Carolina rotation by D. Thompson, who has looked great according to observers, Buck, not sure of the rest. J. Smith is the closer there.

Lynchburg rotation looks like Boxberger, Fairel, Janke, Partch and one more.

Dayton has Ravin, Sulbaran, Pearl, Villarreal, and Johnson.

Not sure where Horst and Webb are fitting in.

How has Dallas Buck looked this spring, 72?

I'm glad to see the Reds have moved Jordan Smith to the bullpen. His stuff is better suited for that role, IMO. According to C. Trent, Reds officials were impressed with Smith and think he has a chance to be a good major league reliever.

Also glad to see Brad Boxberger starting instead of relieving. While his future role may eventually be in the bullpen, it doesn't hurt to give him a chance at starting.

I'm interested in seeing how Brian Pearl handles a starting role. He was impressive out of the bullpen with Billings last season, as he struckout 43 batters in 28.2 innings (13.5 K/9). I'm looking forward to following Jacob Johnson as well. He pitched well in his pro debut last season and has a nice pitchers frame.

Is Daniel Corcino beginning the season with Dayton? I was hoping they would use him as a starter.

Thanks for all the great info, 72.

Another question for ya, 72. Where will Donnie Joseph start the season?

Personally, I'd rather see Jukich as a starter rather than LeCure. He's performed better than Lecure and he has struggled while coming from the pen. But until he gets back into rotation shape I guess it's a moot point.

Still can't believe Klinker is back in AA. I like Justin Lehr's story and all, but I just can't put a 30 something in a rotation over a guy like Klinker who can throw up to 94 who flat out dominated last season.

Klinker hasn't proven he can handle a starter's workload. If he can put up good numbers over a full season at AA-AAA, he becomes a legitimate starting prospect, IMO. Until then, he remains unestablished. It's likely starters from AA will eventually be needed at AAA, so let's see if he can lead that staff down there and earn the first callup to Louisville.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Hard to say how long all these guys will be on the AAA Roster, but this team is loaded in all areas. I think the decisions concerning Louisville's roster may be tougher than those in Cincy.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Wonder if Serrano is the other starter at Lynchburg? Oops just saw Serrano not ready to start season. Wonder why? I saw him pitching a couple weeks ago
    Last edited by JaxRed; 04-03-2010 at 10:01 AM.

Disappointed to see Joe Krebs get stiffed, if that's the case. He has done everything asked of him and deserves to be in Louisville. But there are bound to be some tough calls made there. 72, you didn't mention Bray. Will he start on the DL? Terrell Young? I forgot about Reineke.

I suspect Horst would be in the Carolina rotation. Hope so, at least.

Don't know the answers to some of those questions. Serrano...they have the pitchers on a progressive program throughout spring training, step by step, to be ready for opening day. Serrano had some kind of a set-back. Don't think its major.

Corcino to extended. Just too young. Did not come close to making the Dayton staff. Throws hard though. Joseph will be the closer in Dayton. Boxberger is on the Zach Stewart plan. Probably will be a reliever eventually.

Bearing in mind that spring training can be very, very misleading...two guys that garnered a lot of talk were Villarreal and Christiani. Villarreal was a fairly high pick that had an injury...getting velocity back...could get into mid 90s...Christiani will help Joseph close.

Important year for Josh Ravin. Can he build on his progress of '09? Will lead the Dayton rotation.

We got off topic here but there were some questions to answer.

Turn Off Ads?