Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I expect Harang and Arroyo to have big years..here's why

I expect Harang and Arroyo to have big years..here's why

Now that this organization is literally oozing with young pitching talent I think it's putting more pressure on the veterans Harang and Arroyo to perform. They've got to be thinking in the back of their head if they mess up at the beginning of the season they could be traded and have their spot filled with a youngster who could do just as well.

Competition breeds excellence..these two are gonna be more focused than ever.

GO REDS
    Follow me on twitter @EricLilly7

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I expect Harang and Arroyo to have big years..here's why

I do wonder if they are worried about getting traded. If anything it would be an annoyance. Either way, they are getting paid. I would think nearing the end of a contract would be more of a motivator for them than competition from youngsters.

I have a feeling they will both put up similar numbers from what they have the past couple of years. They both seem kind of laid back in that they aren't going to get too distressed or motivated by the possibility of a trade or the competition from youngsters. Both of them, Harang especially, have been the rumors of trades for the past couple seasons. I see both of them hanging around the 4.00 ERA mark for most of the season.

Perhaps I will be wrong though and they will be much more motivated. I'd love to see it.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Contract year, since everyone knows the Reds will not pick up their option.

Most players do well in their contract year to guarantee another big contract.

Still wish we could unload Harang and keep Arroyo at a lower price.

i hope they step it up.
    please check out my baseball site.plenty of reds,phillies and astros pictures.http://shannonsbaseball.webs.com/

If they both step it up, this could be a good year.
    Follow me on twitter @EricLilly7

This really is such a completely different team than last year I don't know what to expect from them "as a group".

Dusty's in a contract year, too.

Contract years have a way of bringing out the best in professional athletes. Of course if your stuff is gone it doesn't matter.

If they don't step up I have a feeling not alot of patience will be given to them. Especially Harang. We have to many hungry arms down in the minors ready to take their spots. Although I think Arroyo will have a larger leash on him than Harang

What happens if the two vets have great years and the young guys regress? Do you re-sign Harang and Arroyo for 2011-??? Trade Homer / Cueto for a change of scenery? Send Cueto down and bring up Wood / Chapman?

Intriguing.

What is Arroyo's option worth? If he isn't traded (which means the Reds are competitive), I wouldn't be shocked if they picked up his option. A veteran pitcher is a good thing to have.

Harang could be extremely motivated and all that, but it's moreso a question of what does he have left? If he can't get back his old stuff, then all the motivation in the world won't matter.

I'm penciling in Arroyo for another typical year. We all know what he's going to do. He will have his usual awful starts mixed in with some gems.

Quote Originally Posted by double21d View Post
    What is Arroyo's option worth? If he isn't traded (which means the Reds are competitive), I wouldn't be shocked if they picked up his option. A veteran pitcher is a good thing to have.
    Arroyo will get $11 million in 2010. There is a club option at $11 million for 2011 with a $2 million buyout. The option can escalate to $13 million, based on innings. (Harang's option is $12.75MM, also up to $13MM based on incentives)

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I think this is it for Harang. Hope I am wrong but I've lost all faith in him. He's not a #1 anymore. We really don't have a #1 as of now.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5
    2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Contract year, since everyone knows the Reds will not pick up their option.

Most players do well in their contract year to guarantee another big contract.

Still wish we could unload Harang and keep Arroyo at a lower price.
    You are not going to get Arroyo cheap, he is always among the leaders in quality starts. Over the last 4 seasons who has more QS in the NL than Arroyo?

Turn Off Ads?