Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does everyone think of the opening roster?

What does everyone think of the opening roster?

Pitchers (11): Bronson Arroyo, Homer Bailey, Francisco Cordero, Johnny Cueto, Aaron Harang, Daniel Ray Herrera, Mike Lincoln, Nick Masset, Logan Ondrusek, Micah Owings, Arthur Rhodes.

Catchers (2): Ryan Hanigan, Ramon Hernandez.

Infielders (7): Orlando Cabrera, Miguel Cairo, Juan Francisco, Paul Janish, Brandon Phillips, Scott Rolen, Joey Votto.

Outfielders (5): Jay Bruce, Chris Dickerson, Jonny Gomes, Laynce Nix, Drew Stubbs.

I like it. Honestly, not keeping up with spring training much, I didn't even know Cairo was on the team, LOL. A lot of people complaining about that decision I've seen in the other threads, but whats the big deal? 25th spot on the roster is always going to be a meh player may as well be a veteran emergency utility guy who may at least be a good guy in the locker room for the time he's here, which I doubt will be for the entire year. Overall, I'm as excited for this Reds team as I've ever been, and I hope we have some good offensive firepower.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What does everyone think of the opening roster?

I was disappointed that they chose Nix over Wlademier... I have never been a big Nix fan.

I am glad they chose Nix. I still think he has the chance to be the stud he was before he ran into that wall in Texas.

I also kind of wish Miles would accept a trip to Louisville. Looking at his career, he was a good player until he got hurt. Maybe he just needs some down time to get it back. Only reason I care is that the Reds can't afford to throw away 2.7 million. Though it's better than throwing away 4 million of Willy.

Burton needs to get his s*** together. I think a lot of these older guys who we've depended on in the past need to realize we've got a great team in Louisville now. We aren't picking off the scrap heap anymore, so get busy winning or get busy looking for a job.

Overall I like it. Kind of wanted to see Francisco get a couple hundred at bats in AAA, but that's why I'm sitting here and Dusty and Walt aren't.

I'm as excited as I've been for 10 years, so I hope it doesn't all go down the drain. Go Redlegs!

I dislike Cairo and Nix making it but other than those 2 they picked the best players and its good.

seems ok to me.
    please check out my baseball site.plenty of reds,phillies and astros pictures.http://shannonsbaseball.webs.com/

jredmo2

Who's getting sent down when Leake comes up?

Quote Originally Posted by jredmo2 View Post
    Who's getting sent down when Leake comes up?
    Francisco

I think our pitching staff is one of the best in the bigs. Rotation and bullpen is solid from top to bottom.

We just need our guys to hit and we can do some damage.

Don't understand Cairo unless he's the one slated to go when Leake comes up. Why not Sutton?

But they picked the best 12 arms. At some point when Burton figures it out I expect he'll replace Lincoln.

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    Don't understand Cairo unless he's the one slated to go when Leake comes up. Why not Sutton?

But they picked the best 12 arms. At some point when Burton figures it out I expect he'll replace Lincoln.
    Apparently Cairo is a real big "clubhouse guy." Last night on MLB Tonight, Eduardo Perez was asked to name his favorite old face which was in a new place. He picked Cairo and said he is a true clubhouse leader which should help a young Reds team. Said some really positive things about him.

Also, John Fay reported Friday that Dusty and Walt said this about Cairo:

“He has a very important role to fill on this club. He’s an experienced bench guy who’s been on championship clubs. He’s been on the Yankees. He’s been on the Phillies. He knows how to prepare to be ready in a situation he’s going to be needed in. He can play first and third. He can play the outfield. He can play second. He’s a guy who experienced. His veteran-type leadership was something we were looking for all winter. That’s why we brought Miles, Burke and Cairo in here. We wanted guys with playoff experience. He knows what it takes to win.”
    I think it is exactly what this team needs. I remember sometime during the offseason that Brandon Phillips said that there wasnt any true leader in the clubhouse last year and that he felt that he was going to have to take on some of that role but he also said that it wasnt really his personality but he would do it for the sake of the team. It seems like the front office realized that too and went looking for that and Cairo would seem to be their answer.

The best opening day roster in years! So much young talent, yet so much veteran leadership. If we can mesh together and stay healthy and that is a huge IF we can compete in this division or atleast for the wild card. Even if we have a subpar .500 season, I have a feeling this franchise is on the right track finally. I couldn't say that a few years ago when we started Hatteburg, Aurilla, Griffey and Dunn on opening day.

other than the weak bench im happy. i wish we had 1 high obp guy (dickerson qualifies but im hoping he starts quite a bit). other than that i see quite a few Ks by pinch hitters.

Sure beats the days of Paul Householder! Actually think this is the most young talent since EDavis, Lark, Kal Daniels, et al were coming up at the same time. Best part is this is the best set of arms since the days of Danny Jackson and Jose Rijo.

Cairo is the perfect 25th man ... play everywhere with decent glove, clubhouse guy. Championship teams have a guy like him around. The 5th outfielder thing - not a difference maker.

Agree that this is the best opening day roster in years.

I have no problems with it, though I'm surprised that Mike Leake will be the 5th starter. They must think he's incredibly special--special enough to forgo the minor leagues entirely. Is he THAT good? I know he's poised, but without a dominant fastball, can he get big league hitters out?

Quote Originally Posted by mlh1981 View Post
    I have no problems with it, though I'm surprised that Mike Leake will be the 5th starter. They must think he's incredibly special--special enough to forgo the minor leagues entirely. Is he THAT good? I know he's poised, but without a dominant fastball, can he get big league hitters out?
    His fastball moves a lot and its still a 88-91 MPH pitch.

Turn Off Ads?