Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring training too long?

Spring training too long?

I'd rather they lop off a week, start/end a week earlier and add another round to the playoffs. Two more wildcards (per league) and a bye to the Division Champs with the Best rcords. The other Division an the other divison champ and the top WC team host the Wildcard Series
    Last edited by corkedbat; 04-03-2010 at 07:58 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Spring training too long?

I do not want to see any more rounds in the playoffs

Or cut off a week and just end the world series a week earlier

They need the time for the pitchers. These guys are just now getting to the point of working 5 or 6 innings. An extra week of monotony is a small price to protect those arms.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

I agree with Jax and mth about this.

It's my favorite month of the year. I'm a freak and enjoy spring training and minor league games more than regular season ones. So I'm all for extending it to 6 weeks.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Too long for fake games, too long for the hype, too long for the players to get ready? I have no idea.

The first day of the season trumps spring training by 10 am in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I do not want to see any more rounds in the playoffs
    Agreed. Let's not turn this into the NBA where half the teams make the playoffs, including some with below .500 records.

no. they may think so, but they really need the "warm up" time after the off season. And for the person who said make it 6 weeks... isn't it 6 weeks already?

I totally agree about the playoffs. It's good the way it is. More teams would make it too diluted.
    Last edited by TeamBoone; 04-04-2010 at 05:51 PM.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Spring training is goofy in its current form, how bout a month of the team training near where it plays instead of this outdated silliness of Florida/Arizona.
    Go Gators!

Nothing like training in 40 degree weather with no other teams around.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Nothing like training in 40 degree weather with no other teams around.
    Yeah, while I'd love to have the ST site closer so I could see a few games live (can't manage a trip this time of year), the main objective for concentrating it in Fla/Ariz is for the warm weather to get the work in and limit travel expenses to lightly attended games - not fan convenience.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Agreed. Let's not turn this into the NBA where half the teams make the playoffs, including some with below .500 records.
    I believe sports work best when ~25% or so of the teams make the post season. The really old way in which the AL & NL pennant winners met for the world series title is too extreme as is the modern NHL/NBA system where 50% of the teams make the playoffs. the current form in baseball works well. it keeps more teams in the playoff hunt & keeps fans interested. the only changes i would make to baseball would be to make the first playoff round seven games & eliminate all the ridiculous off days in the post season. make a team actually have to have more than two quality starters to be the league champs. last year it seemed like CC pitched every other game.

Haunted by walks

Team 96 in next year's NCAA tournament says Hi. Team 97 pouts and says there's an East Coast bias.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    I believe sports work best when ~25% or so of the teams make the post season. The really old way in which the AL & NL pennant winners met for the world series title is too extreme as is the modern NHL/NBA system where 50% of the teams make the playoffs. the current form in baseball works well. it keeps more teams in the playoff hunt & keeps fans interested. the only changes i would make to baseball would be to make the first playoff round seven games & eliminate all the ridiculous off days in the post season. make a team actually have to have more than two quality starters to be the league champs. last year it seemed like CC pitched every other game.
    Personally I think the NBA and NHL seasons are just right. 50% means that being in 1st guarantees you a relatively weak opponent. There's interest throughout the season for teams in the middle to bottom of a conference in trying to make the playoffs, and there's interest from the top of the brackets in trying to play the very worst team.

In the NHL it doesn't work as well because an 8 seed isn't that much worse than a 1 seed, but how often has an 8 seed won a 1st round matchup in the NBA? 4 times in 20+ years?
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Turn Off Ads?