Bruce
    Nix
    Hernandez
    Harang

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Opening Day lineup announced

wow, the surprises continue...wouldn't have expected to see Nix in there

I'm biting my tongue really, really, really hard right now. I'm in shock right now, but I don't really know why I should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I'm biting my tongue really, really, really hard right now. I'm in shock right now, but I don't really know why I should be.
    why?
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

i like Nix. i feel he is a perfectly servicable 5th outfielder & pinch hitter.

as a starter in LF against a RHP i would rank him behind Dickerson, Balentien & Francisco.

Hi, Lance. nice to meet you again. I would like to introduce you to the whipping post. It's not as nearly comfortable nor nice as it finds. Hope you like it, whether you deserve it or not.

I was one of the bigger proponents of a platoon in CF this year, but even I thought that Stubbs knocked down the door. Kind of surprised he's not in there, but if it means the power guys stick to LF and the two speed guys aren't taking up two OF spots at the same time, I like it.

Now, just need to rearrange the order to get Phillips and Rolen out of the middle and Cabrera down toward the bottom.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I was surprised, but I guess I shouldn't be. Looks like we'll have a platoon in CF and LF. I hope Francisco gets a couple starts in LF while he's up here, if that is indeed the case.

I have no problem with Dickerson/Stubbs platooning, I'm not sure about Nix getting the majority of ABs in LF, though. I guess all this does is remind me that LF is a problem spot for the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    why?
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    i like Nix. i feel he is a perfectly servicable 5th outfielder & pinch hitter.

as a starter in LF against a RHP i would rank him behind Dickerson, Balentien & Francisco.
    That is why. First of all, I don't think he should have made the team, much less be in the opening day lineup.

If this is a sign of things to come, which I fear it is, it is not going to sit well with me that Drew Stubbs is not the Reds starting centerfielder.

I've already been talked off the ledge by a friend that tells me that maybe it's just for one day, so I'll hold off judgement. However, Drew Stubbs has done everything in his power to earn the opening day CF gig, and for this manager to take it away from him infuriates me beyond belief.

Edit: for the record, Laynce Nix has a .277 career OBP. His highest career OBP is .293. Ladies and gentlemen, your 2010 Cincinnati Reds!
    Last edited by Homer Bailey; 04-04-2010 at 06:09 PM.

I remember a game last year where I think Laynce Nix homered off of Carpenter twice in a game the Reds lost. I bet thats why Nix is starting.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I was one of the bigger proponents of a platoon in CF this year, but even I thought that Stubbs knocked down the door. Kind of surprised he's not in there, but if it means the power guys stick to LF and the two speed guys aren't taking up two OF spots at the same time, I like it.

Now, just need to rearrange the order to get Phillips and Rolen out of the middle and Cabrera down toward the bottom.
    i totally missed the fact that Dickerson was in CF & not Stubbs. i suspect this is a 'stack the lineup with LH hitters' vs Carpenter.
    it may not be that Stubbs will sit against all RH pitchers. it may just be that Carpenter is a lot better than your average RH pitcher and Dusty felt this was a poor matchup for Stubbs. in this case you gotta feel a bit for Nix.
    Dusty to Lance: "Son, Chris Dickerson will be platooning with Jonny Gomes in left. You'll be our pinch hitter. The only time you get to start is when we face a Cy Young caliber RH starter"

in this lineup the fact that Nix plays LF over Francisco tells me a couple of things. Walt & Dusty love them some defense. Francisco is AAA bound next Sunday. if he isn't going to start over Nix in the kind of a lineup then he isn't going to get much playing time. send him to AAA to work on his plate discipline & defense.

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    I remember a game last year where I think Laynce Nix homered off of Carpenter twice in a game the Reds lost. I bet thats why Nix is starting.
    I gurantee you if somebody asks Dusty why it's Nix over Stubbs (or Gomes) he'll tell you that's why. He'll say he's protecting Stubbs from the big stage against a tough righty.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

If Drew Stubbs has to platoon this season, it is going to sit very poorly with me. He gets called up last year and plays an above average defensive center field and hits well. He goes into spring training in a competition and OPS'd over 1.000 while leading the team in HR's while his major competition for the spot doesn't OPS .800.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    i totally missed the fact that Dickerson was in CF & not Stubbs. i suspect this is a 'stack the lineup with LH hitters' vs Carpenter.
    it may not be that Stubbs will sit against all RH pitchers. it may just be that Carpenter is a lot better than your average RH pitcher and Dusty felt this was a poor matchup for Stubbs. in this case you gotta feel a bit for Nix.
    Dusty to Lance: "Son, Chris Dickerson will be platooning with Jonny Gomes in left. You'll be our pinch hitter. The only time you get to start is when we face a Cy Young caliber RH starter"

in this lineup the fact that Nix plays LF over Francisco tells me a couple of things. Walt & Dusty love them some defense. Francisco is AAA bound next Sunday. if he isn't going to start over Nix in the kind of a lineup then he isn't going to get much playing time. send him to AAA to work on his plate discipline & defense.
    I think it's pretty clear Francisco will go down in a week, but I don't think Dusty would throw Francisco in there against Carpenter. It's just not the way he handles young pitchers.

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    Nix is 1 for 7 career against Carp with a home run. I imagine Dusty is using his data-snooping bias and will say Nix has been good against Carp in his career.

Again, if this is for one day, I'll be fine, but I fear this is a sign of the times to come, and that's really bad news if thats the case.

Turn Off Ads?