Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crazy Theories

Crazy Theories

I tend to come up with crazy, completely unresearched theories on why things happen the way they do. This seems like as good a place as any to post some (of the more appropriate) of them. So, I will post a few and if you have one (or more) post them.

1) Why Facebook/Reality TV is Popular
    -People are inherently nosy (like my wife) and want to see what others are doing without the consequences of actually asking.
    -People are inherently narcissistic. Facebook and (especially) reality TV might be the zenith of narcissism.

2) The "Recession" is actually an economic correction from an unrealistic economic system and more accurately reflects nations financial strength.
    -Again, I have no actual training in economics, but this seems reasonable to me. People were (and still are) living out of their means (aka...the housing bubble/crisis and the credit disaster). The system simply couldn't handle the debt load, and so it fell apart. If someone more schooled in Econ 101 can disprove this, I would be much obliged (so that I don't sound like an idiot)

3) Music fans are more interested in impressing others with their knowledge than actually liking music.
    -This has been happening for years. But, with the internet and Indie movement, it has gone to ridiculous proportions. This applies to a ton of things (Wes Anderson movies, various TV shows, etc...)
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Crazy Theories

I wouldn't call any of these crazy at all. In fact I'd say these are pretty common thoughts.

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    I tend to come up with crazy, completely unresearched theories on why things happen the way they do. This seems like as good a place as any to post some (of the more appropriate) of them. So, I will post a few and if you have one (or more) post them.

-People are inherently nosy (like my wife) and want to see what others are doing without the consequences of actually asking.
    -People are inherently narcissistic. Facebook and (especially) reality TV might be the zenith of narcissism.

2) The "Recession" is actually an economic correction from an unrealistic economic system and more accurately reflects nations financial strength.
    -Again, I have no actual training in economics, but this seems reasonable to me. People were (and still are) living out of their means (aka...the housing bubble/crisis and the credit disaster). The system simply couldn't handle the debt load, and so it fell apart. If someone more schooled in Econ 101 can disprove this, I would be much obliged (so that I don't sound like an idiot)

3) Music fans are more interested in impressing others with their knowledge than actually liking music.
    -This has been happening for years. But, with the internet and Indie movement, it has gone to ridiculous proportions. This applies to a ton of things (Wes Anderson movies, various TV shows, etc...)
    1) People are so hungry for stories they'll take even lame contrived Reality TV narratives.

2) What are you some kind of Marxist? Supposedly it's possible to create wealth by pulling it from the ground, inventing something or increasing productivity, but it does seem that the economy only grows by buying on credit, and a recession is what happens when it's time to pay the bills. Then repeat.

3) That might apply to sports fans too.

My theory: Most sports are pretty silly if you try to think of practical purposes for the skills they reward.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    2) What are you some kind of Marxist? Supposedly it's possible to create wealth by pulling it from the ground, inventing something or increasing productivity, but it does seem that the economy only grows by buying on credit, and a recession is what happens when it's time to pay the bills. Then repeat.
    I like this explanation. But, here is my counter example. How much did most of us put down on our house? What was the percentage? People used to wait and put down 10-20%, and would live on the cheap. Now, we put down very little. We don't and can't wait. That is what I mean by borrowing.

Also, can it be considered real "growth" if it is only on paper?

How about this one:
    -Hippies are more conservative than most conservatives.
    They are the ones trying to save mom and pop joints to keep the money in the local community, as opposed to the more conservative Wal-Mart crowd whose money tends to fly more towards Bentonville, AK. Isn't trying to save the mom and pop joint the essence of conservatism?

Hahaha I'm very much the same. I actually have theories on the same topics:

1) Very much the same as yours but also the "attention" factor. Emo kids can post how they are depressed and have people reply telling them it will be alright.

2)My theory on the recession is soley on the media. It got boring reporting how well the economy was doing combined with the media always running with bad news. I blame them for scaring people into not spending their money.

3)Music, your theory basically just applies to one of my friends, not sure about everyone.

There's a paradox that Keynes and others pointed out -- that as employers cut wages they undercut the consumption of the goods they produce.

In the last 30 years we've been able to mask this with the explosion of consumer credit.

This isn't a recession is a complete restructering.

How about this one:
    -Hippies are more conservative than most conservatives.
    They are the ones trying to save mom and pop joints to keep the money in the local community, as opposed to the more conservative Wal-Mart crowd whose money tends to fly more towards Bentonville, AK. Isn't trying to save the mom and pop joint the essence of conservatism?
    Bentonville, Alaska?

Quote Originally Posted by ochre View Post
    Bentonville, Alaska?
    That is where us conservatives order our baby seal skin boots.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    That is where us conservatives order our baby seal skin boots.
    No, if you're a real conservative you club and skin the baby seal yourself and make your own boots.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

You guys want to back away from political posts before I close this thread down?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I don't believe I have any crazy theories. Some of my opinions may seem strange to others but it's because they're not looking at all the facts.

1) I agree with both of your theories, and they both can be true.

2) A recession can have many underlying causes. I believe the current one is the result of a artificial manipulation of the economy by those who have little (if any) idea of how market economies are supposed to function.

3) I believe music critics fit that description pretty well.

I have one about Art.

You could have a 3 year old splatter a bunch of paint around... say a famous artist painted it, and it will be looked upon as a masterpiece.

1. I think facebook is a success because people are nosy. They want to know what other people are up to. Don't really buy the narcissistic side.

As for reality TV I think it first found its niche and then exploded. I think there is some vicarious feeling to it. Who wouldn't want to be stranded on a tropical paradise? Who wouldn't want to live in a house in a cool city for 5 months with the sole purpose to party? Who wouldn't want to dance with an attractive professional dance partner? Who doesn't think they can sing great in the shower? Etc.

2. I think you are somewhat correct in the economic recession. People have been living outside of their means for a long time now. Too many people were living paycheck to paycheck without saving anything. But I think the trigger was gas prices. People were spending 2-3 times what they had before on gas. If a family had two SUV's and was spending $60/week on gas all the sudden saw that gas expenditure jump to $180 a week that makes a huge difference. That family loses $400-$500 a month which is devastating especially to a family living paycheck to paycheck.

3. Don't really have a comment on your music theory. I listen to what I like and don't really care to impress anybody. I do find it funny in music (and movies) that indie has become a multi-million, maybe even billion, size industry when its supposed to mean independent music. It has become a genre as much as alternative or rock.

I put down 30% on my current house. I'm old, west side German that way.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Turn Off Ads?