Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Game thread idea

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Game thread idea

Knowing that the board supports inbound RSS, I'd like to suggest that it take advantage of the newsy Twitter feeds of John Fay and CTrent to contribute to an automated game thread.

Is there a way to use that capability to funnel the RSS of their Twitter feeds into a single thread named "Current Game Thread" that would also serve as the game thread?

http://twitter.com/johnfayman
    http://twitter.com/ctrent

As you can see, both of those guys are now providing the equivalent of what RedsZone considers PBP in the game thread.

To avoid having to direct the feeds into a new thread each day, once that day's game is over, the posts that apply to that game (basically everything in the thread early the next morning) could be moved by any moderator into a dated thread of their own.

Would it work from a technical standpoint? It definitely falls within the new copyright guidelines.
    /r/reds

Re: Game thread idea

I think I understand what you're asking but I'm not sure I like the idea of a moderator having to move posts into separate threads each morning. Someone that's familiar with RSS and vBulletin would have to give me a hand, as well, because I have no idea how to do this.

I know the moderator tools for vBulletin, but have never used the administrator tools. Most of what I know about RSS on it comes from a few minutes of reading the docs and my memories of RedsZone's previous brief attempt at incorporating it.

IMO, it would be well worth the effort to incorporate those feeds, because during games, they would be the equivalent of adding two posters who are sitting in the stadium press box to the game threads. It'd be a real boon to have those contributions in real time.
    /r/reds

Before I look into potentially implementing this, I'd like to get some others' thoughts on this. Please feel free to chime in either way...

I think that would be great. On some other boards, I have seen this done for live chats, etc and really enjoy it.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

If it is reputable guys like CTrent, etc., then I'd be all for it. The more play-by-play in game threads, the merrier, IMO. Especially considering many of those times they would be there in person.

Considering on how fast the pbp goes with a lot of people having access to Extra Innings/MLB.tv/audio of the games, I think it would be overkill to add tweets or whatever for something that probably was posted 3 to 4 times all ready. Maybe in the slower game threads during the afternoon or late at night for west coast games it would be pretty neat.

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    Considering on how fast the pbp goes with a lot of people having access to Extra Innings/MLB.tv/audio of the games, I think it would be overkill to add tweets or whatever for something that probably was posted 3 to 4 times all ready.
    FWIW, those tweets go out quickly. I have been receiving tweets about game events that happen before they are broadcast on the radio stream, which is buffered by 30 seconds or less.
    /r/reds

High five!

I'd just really like for any PBP...err...game situation updates to have a bold, large, colored, something font so it's easy to see when scanning the thread.

I would whole heartedly endorse this. It would take some pressure off guys that do their best to keep up PBP on the board.

I'd especially recommend C Trent as he needs all the pub he can get.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

I looked into this a bit and if I understand correctly, one problem I see is that the smallest amount of time to check the feed is 10 minutes. If we go 10 minutes without PBP, that's a lot of plays that are missed. If I'm missing something here, please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    I looked into this a bit and if I understand correctly, one problem I see is that the smallest amount of time to check the feed is 10 minutes. If we go 10 minutes without PBP, that's a lot of plays that are missed. If I'm missing something here, please let me know.
    I agree. 10 minute intervals wouldn't work.
    /r/reds

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    I agree. 10 minute intervals wouldn't work.
    Maybe if the Reds changed from playing baseball to cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    That's what I was about to ask. This is a great idea if it's faster or as fast as the PBP provided by our own members.

I don't know much about Vbulletin but I did find this:
    http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/rssposter

Reset Last Checked Time
    This control is related to the Check Feed Every... control (see below) and allows you to have vBulletin check the feed the next time the robot checks any feeds, instead of waiting for the next scheduled time.
    If I understand that correctly, you could potentially have 10 different feeds scheduled to check in a rotation, a different one in each minute, and if you had "Reset Last Checked Time" checked off, it would check all ten each minute.

On the other hand, it also says this:
    Warning:
    Bear in mind that checking a feed too frequently could get your server blacklisted by the site hosting the feed.
    My name is Cheesy Beef Burrito

Turn Off Ads?