Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: How do you pitch to Albert Pujols in the 1st on Wed?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hit him with the 1st pitch.

15 17.86%
  • Pitch to get him out.

33 39.29%
  • Throw near him just to send a message.

10 11.90%
  • Walk him, but do not try to hit him.

14 16.67%
  • Intentional walk.

12 14.29%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pujols' 1st AB Wednesday

For a Level Playing Field

Pujols' 1st AB Wednesday

I do not want to hear any crying about bush league and that crap. What do you do if you are the manager?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Pujols' 1st AB Wednesday

4 pitches out of the strike zone for me, if it was Barry Bonds would Dusty have walked him?

Anyone on base?

I think you have to go after him. Be cautious, but don't back down. You have to make him beat you even though he often will. I've never been a fan of the intentional walk or the "unintentional" intentional walk. He is a great hitter but you will still get him out 60% of the time.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Pujols first HR yesterday was a 94 mph fastball right over the fat part of the plate. Harang missed his spot by a foot.

I'd say don't throw the man fastballs down the middle, as a start.

One pitch up and in--then away, away, away. If you walk him oh well.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I would take the Bob Gibson route. Knock him down four straight times. That could have set the tone for the season that the Reds are here to play for keeps this season.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I'd intentionally walk him every at bat from this point forward. Take the game out of his hands and force the rest of the Cardinals to beat you.

At the very least, it's time to break out the "When should you pitch to Bonds?" chart. He's reached that level of productivity.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I believe the count was 2-2 and Harang struck out the first two batters prior.

Opening Day with the crowd roaring to K the side, Harang just forgot who he was and missed his spot. Harang hit his spot in Pujols third at bat and he still hit it a ton; it just stayed in the ballpark. Game of inches.

Personally, I don't pitch to him EVER. However I can understand Dusty's decision with his supposed ACE and it being the 1st inning.

I see Holliday burning us on a few IBB of Albert throughout the year, but let him be beat you. The odds are much better.

If bases are empty, then pitch to get him out, but mix it up and work out of the stike zone, inside, outside and down. Don't worry if you walk him.

If you leave it over the plate or throw something he is expecting and he will crush it. Not only is he a great hitter but he comes prepared every game and every at bat.
    Last edited by puca; 04-06-2010 at 08:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I would take the Bob Gibson route. Knock him down four straight times. That could have set the tone for the season that the Reds are here to play for keeps this season.
    We've been wanting someone to do this to the likes of Albert, Derek Lee, and Berkman this entire decade. Either Reds management has always deemed it "bad baseball" or no one has the stones to do it. Either way, the Reds continue to get burned by the same players year in and year out.

I've always felt each of these three players were much too comfortable in the box.

I choose two of the above options. Throw near him as part of a sequence in which you are trying to get him out. Ex. Fastball away, fastball in (groin height), curve in and high, slider away, slider away. Change heights, speeds, location. Be untraditional, try not to groove anything and duck if you do.

Hit him. Send a message. Then pitch him way inside and outside the rest of the game (season).

I'm still not sure what the message is supposed to be by hitting him. The Reds pitchers simply need to do a better job against him owning the inside corner and just inside off the plate. They can do that without throwing at him. If they continue to refuse to work inside, he will continue crushing them.

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

I agree with icehole3- 4 pitches clearly out of the strike zone. Pujols is one of the best of all-time so why pitch to him? In the pregame they mentioned Harang doesn't like to pitch to Pujols (who does???) but loves pitching to Holiday. It's a no-brainer. I mean how many times do the Reds have to be burned by Pujols til you try something else?

Turn Off Ads?