Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do many teams take an off-day the day after OD?

Re: Why do many teams take an off-day the day after OD?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    7 Games today, not to mention a full slate of NHL.

Lots of baseball out there aside from the Reds, I enjoy not being emotionally involved in games, plus it's a chance to watch someone else besides the Reds, some folks around here need to do that now and then, adds levity to the potential to rant.
    This is true. I absolutely love the EI package. I've learned that if I hadn't been basically raised to be a Reds fan, I would be an Angels fan. There is alot of exciting baseball out there that is played without the Reds.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

2. Turn Off Ads?

When you watch other games you come to realise it's not only the Reds who make errors, leave runners on base, or throw fat pitches.

I'll definitely be watching some other games tonight. The Yankees/Red Sox are on MLB Network at 7:10. John Smoltz is announcing that game, IIRC.

To make things worse, I have to bowl in my league tomorrow night from 6:30 to about 9:15 so I'll miss some of the game. Thankfully there are quite a few Reds fans in the league so they'll most likely have the TV tuned in to the Reds game.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I'll definitely be watching some other games tonight. The Yankees/Red Sox are on MLB Network at 7:10. John Smoltz is announcing that game, IIRC.

To make things worse, I have to bowl in my league tomorrow night from 6:30 to about 9:15 so I'll miss some of the game. Thankfully there are quite a few Reds fans in the league so they'll most likely have the TV tuned in to the Reds game.
    Weather forecast is not too good for tomorrow night. You may not end up missing too much.

Free EI this week.

All Baseball, all the time. Reds or not.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

I want to see 162 games played, in a row.

Go Gators!

Haunted by walks

I've heard the only two days of the year when there's not a game from the four major sports are the day before and the day after the All-Star Game.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    I've heard the only two days of the year when there's not a game from the four major sports are the day before and the day after the All-Star Game.
    Now that's a boring week right there.

Maybe that's when they should have the Pro Bowl.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Some people technically count the home run derby as there being baseball, but yea I have often heard that Wednesday referred to as Black Wednesday. Sportscenter can be a little interesting that Thursday morning

I was wondering this myself and do just about every year. Scheduling an off day the day after Opening Day as a back-up for a rainout just doesn't make any sense. You wait 6 months to play a real game, then you take a day off immediately after the first one. Dumb.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

I was curious, so I went and looked it up - the last time the Reds played on the Tuesday following Opening Day was on April 3rd, 2001, a 3-2 win over the Pirates. Osvaldo Fernandez allowed two runs in 6.1 innings for the win and Danny Graves recorded the save. Also making appearances were Dennys Reyes, Scott Williamson, and John Riedling.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...00104030.shtml

For some odd reason, the Reds opened that season up with the Braves in town for Opening Day, then the Pirates came to town for a three game series. That's the only one game series I can recall in my 15 or so years of watching baseball.

If the game gets rained out and there is a game scheduled for the next day, wouldn't that still be opening day?

Just make it another day game.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Back before Selig began bastardizing this game...the Reds would play 4 games at home to open the season ...I remember mainly in the middle 70's through most of the 80's. Then it became 3 games.... then of course you have to do the opening game on Sunday night...as if this was football.

I think they were more open to playing DH back before the 90's and willingly bunched the games together and figured they would just play a DH...if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Back before Selig began bastardizing this game...the Reds would play 4 games at home to open the season ...I remember mainly in the middle 70's through most of the 80's. Then it became 3 games.... then of course you have to do the opening game on Sunday night...as if this was football.

I think they were more open to playing DH back before the 90's and willingly bunched the games together and figured they would just play a DH...if need be.
    Correct me if I am wrong but the Reds opened up at night years ago. They continued to offer the Reds the first game of the year. Marge Schott accepted it the first year but still maintained that OD was the first day game and conducted the OD parade for the first day game. After that first year Schott refused to open up at night and MLB found two other teams. IIRC the Cards player homered in the 1st at bat.

Turn Off Ads?