Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 issues with Dusty and only one game has been played!

4 issues with Dusty and only one game has been played!

Stubbs not starting in CF? Stubbs was the hottest hitter in the last 2 weeks coming out of spring training.

Dickerson/Gomes to platoon in LF...so play Nix?? What?? This is the same guy that most expected to not make the team.

Lincoln's the first option out of the pen. I get it, long relief, but Lincoln 7.20ERA and a .346BAA against the Cards is the first choice??

Arroyo's ERA in night games are better than day games. So skip his start Wednesday night and let him start the day game Thursday? REALLY? REALLY!?!

I really wanted to wipe the slate clean with Dusty this year. Maybe it's Jocketty wanting not to waste Lincoln's $2+mil in the minors or give Nix on last chance to show why he should stay before he could be DFA for Leake. Whatever it is I don't think I have ever been more frustrated after the first game, EVER! Hell, I loved the game even if they lost.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 4 issues with Dusty and only one game has been played!

Starting to think he is trying to get fired, hard to believe someone in his position can be this stupid.

Without question the worst manager in the big leagues.

Save the season, fire Dusty now.

yeah i said the same thing.

This has to be the most frustrated i have ever been about a manager after the very first game. :thumbdown

I am not one to apologize for Dusty, but I disagree on some of these.

On some level, you have to admit his plan with Stubbs basically worked. He thought the kid would struggle with Carpenter, and instead he was able to start his season with 2 hits and play almost half the game anyway. Whether it was smart on paper or not, I actually think he had a plan to help Stubbs succeed out of the gate and so far it has worked.

1st out of the pen was likely going to be Lincoln or Masset. I probably would've gone Masset, but he ended up looking even worse.

I agree with you that Nix over Gomes is odd, but its not a huge deal to me.

I could go either way on Arroyo pitching Thursday. In theory, I agree with Dusty that using an innings eater like Arroyo 3rd before your back end of your rotation needs your bullpen badly makes some sense. In our case though, I'm not sure 1 of our starters is any more likely to give us innings than another. Its pretty balanced for better or worse.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

If we have a losing record after like, say 40 games, do you think they would fire him?

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    If we have a losing record after like, say 40 games, do you think they would fire him?
    Hopefully. Only reason he is still here is $. Definitely wouldn't be here if the club was only worried about winning.

He makes a smorgasboard of bonehead moves every season.

Dusty is the only issue I have with this team.

Dusty did say that Dickerson was 5 for 10 against Carpenter in his career. Those are fairly solid numbers.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by Redsnake View Post
    Stubbs not starting in CF? Stubbs was the hottest hitter in the last 2 weeks coming out of spring training.

Dickerson/Gomes to platoon in LF...so play Nix?? What?? This is the same guy that most expected to not make the team.

Lincoln's the first option out of the pen. I get it, long relief, but Lincoln 7.20ERA and a .346BAA against the Cards is the first choice??

Arroyo's ERA in night games are better than day games. So skip his start Wednesday night and let him start the day game Thursday? REALLY? REALLY!?!

I really wanted to wipe the slate clean with Dusty this year. Maybe it's Jocketty wanting not to waste Lincoln's $2+mil in the minors or give Nix on last chance to show why he should stay before he could be DFA for Leake. Whatever it is I don't think I have ever been more frustrated after the first game, EVER! Hell, I loved the game even if they lost.
    1. I would have started Stubbs, he had been on fire,not that I put much into spring training numbers but I would have started him. One game is not the end of the world but I get the angst over this move.

2. Pretty much same issue as number 1, should have been Stubbs and Dickerson playing.

3. This is the spot where bad middle relievers pitch. It was the sixth inning and your team is losing. That is when you pitch a guy like Lincoln. Biggest issue is why is he on the team and that is a Walt thing.

4. Totally disagree. The slotting of the pitchers is not about setting up matchups for a single series. It is about putting guys in place that makes the most sense for your team for an entire season. They are trying to separate the veteran innings eater guys and separate the young guys who are most similar to help with the bullpen. This makes perfect sense to me. I think Dusty has done so many questionable things that he is criticized for perfectly rational decisions.

5. The biggest issue from yesterdays game is Nick Masset. Was this a one game blow up or is he the latest in a line of relievers who have one good season and then stink. Obviously, it is foolish to make any judgemets based upon one game but if I were so foolish this is the one thing about yesterdays game that Reds fans should actually be concerned about. If Masset struggles this season, there bullpen looks totally different and we could be back to the eighth inning problems that looked to be solved by Jared Burton a couple of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Yes, if Walt feels the team is underperforming I think he will make a move. 40 games is when general managers start to make judgments that fans apparently make after one. This is the first team that the Reds have had in about 10 years that has a legitimate chance to succeed and if they are say 15 and 25 after 40 I could see Dusty getting fired. If they are a couple games under .500 based upon their schedule I don't think it is likely at all that he will get fired.

[QUOTE=kfm;2048045]1.
    4. Totally disagree. The slotting of the pitchers is not about setting up matchups for a single series. It is about putting guys in place that makes the most sense for your team for an entire season. They are trying to separate the veteran innings eater guys and separate the young guys who are most similar to help with the bullpen. This makes perfect sense to me. I think Dusty has done so many questionable things that he is criticized for perfectly rational decisions.

You totally disagree that Arroyo's ERA in the day time is worse than at night?!

I understand that seperating inning eaters like Harang and Arroyo makes sense, but now you put a pitcher who stated (correct me if I'm wrong mentioned this Monday) he doesn't like pitching in day games and would have rather pitch at night. Now if he goes out and shuts them down Thursday afternoon I'm all for eating some crow. However he gets shelled, in the back of our mind we will think....maybe Arroyo was right about not wanting too pitch day games and Dusty made a mistake.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
    He makes a smorgasboard of bonehead moves every season.
    You know as well as I that there is a lot of thought and deliberation that goes into that smorgasboard.

Cause Toothpick tells us so.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

[QUOTE=Redsnake;2048047]
    Quote Originally Posted by kfm View Post

You totally disagree that Arroyo's ERA in the day time is worse than at night?!

I understand that seperating inning eaters like Harang and Arroyo makes sense, but now you put a pitcher who stated (correct me if I'm wrong mentioned this Monday) he doesn't like pitching in day games and would have rather pitch at night. Now if he goes out and shuts them down Thursday afternoon I'm all for eating some crow. However he gets shelled, in the back of our mind we will think....maybe Arroyo was right about not wanting too pitch day games and Dusty made a mistake.
    I don't disagree that his era is worse during the day, it obviously is and that is a fact. I disagree with deciding to slot him in the two hole soley so his first start of his 34 starts the first week of the year is not a day game. You seem to agree with separting the young guys,separating the innings eaters and then separating guys with the most similar pitching styles. I just disagree with deciding to go against every reason to pitch him 3rd on the single basis that one of his 34 starts will be a day game. Having said all of this,if the Reds were in the playoffs I would definitely pitch Arroyo at night because now you are talking about what's best for five or seven games not 162. I hope that is clear. Over the course of an entire season every one of their starters is going to have to start a few day games. That is just the nature of the schedule.

My big issue continues to be this: Batting about the worst hitter on the team 2nd. SS all the time. Idiot. Complete idiot, that Dusty. Janish or Cabrera should never bat higher than 7th or 8th. Ever. I like Stubbs, then Dickerson (gets protection from Votto.) But anyone else is better and I think it will contiue to play out that way cuz OC has never gotten on base at a high rate.

And Rhodes should have been up and ready when Masset was getting into trouble in the 8th. He could have faced Rasmus who cannot hit lefty pitching (see at-bat against Hererra). Instead he leaves Masset in there for 5 runs, 3 hits, and 2 walks. Nice job jackass.

Nix should come off the bench early in the year and it should be Stubbs, Dickerson, or Gomes 95% of the time.

It's one game and I'm more convinced than ever that DB is the worst manager in the game today.

No offense, and not a Duhsty fan, but who doesn't play the odds LH hitter vs. right handed pitcher? and in this case both LH hitters vs Carp (one of the best RHP in the league).

Harang was so-so, nothing spectacular, Masset and Stincoln(Lincoln) looked awful and had bad days, that's the breaks on day 1. I dont mean to second guess anyone, but I might have done the same thing DUHSTY did, but I am not a Manager of a big league team, and maybe Duhsty isnt either????
    Bowled 12, 300 games, I'm BACK!!

Bowling a 300 game never gets old

Turn Off Ads?