Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carolina Mudcats roster announced

Carolina Mudcats roster announced

Pitchers:

Dallas Buck, Tom Cochran, Jesus Delgado, Jerry Gil, Daryl Harang, Matt Klinker, Joseph Krebs, Ruben Medina, Alexander Smit, Jordan Smith, Daryl Thompson, Philippe Valiquette

Catchers:

Chris Denove, Brandon Yarbrough

Infielders:

Yonder Alonso, Jose Castro, Eric Eymann, Jake Kahaulelio, Kris Negron, Logan Parker

Outfielders

Sean Danielson, Sean Henry, Carson Kainer, Denis Phipps

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...=t_ros&cid=249

Even though Alonso is listed as an infielder, he supposedly will be playing left field.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Carolina Mudcats roster announced

Thanks for the post, I just saw this. Alonso back in Carolina. I really didn't see this coming but it makes sense.

Denove back in AAA is the one that surprises me (since Redsof72 had hinted about the Alonso move)

Take out Alonso, and that is one weak Infield group.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

If you're a Mudcats fan, this is pretty much the best case scenario you could have expected. Going into the year, it looked like there was a very good argument for guys like Yonder Alonso, Chris Denove, Sean Danielson, Sean Henry, Eric Eymann, Matt Klinker, Joe Krebs, Jordan Smith, Daryl Thompson, et al to be sent to Louisville.

What surprises me most is the pitching staff. Where are the older guys going to play if not in Carolina?

Luis Montano - 25 years old; has already succeeded at A+ (and is the cousin of Francisco Cordero)
    Misael DeJesus - 25 years old; has already succeeded at A+
    Derrik Lutz - had a good year in AA; will turn 25 in about two weeks; has battled injuries
    Ramon Geronimo - 26 years old; has already dominated A+
    Sean Watson - 24 years old; the way he has pitched lately, he doesn't even deserve a spot on a rookie squad, but his numbers say otherwise
    Scott Carroll - 25 years old; has already done very well in A+

OOOOH YEEEAHHHH!! CarolinaRedleg's Avatar

Looks like Alonso's going to be working on a new position while in Carolina....

http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/archi...a_play_lf.html

Iffy crew, and Alonso now has something to prove both offensively and defensively. Kids who take a step forward in Lynchburg will be here in place of guys who stagnate.

Kind of interested in Negron and would love to see Buck be effective and healthy.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaRedleg View Post

I like it!!!!

Yonder's future with the Reds isn't at 1b. He potentially could help this team in LF if his bat is for real and he beats on Francisco, Frazier, and Heisey.

I wasn't familiar with Jesus Delgado, or how he got to the Reds, but it looks like he's organizational bullpen depth. So I suppose the starting rotation would be Klinker, Buck, Thompson, Cochran and Smit. That would seem to be the strength of the team--along with Smith, Krebs and Valiquette in the pen.

And of course Alonso's bat, which will need protection. Danielson, Henry, Eymann and the catchers should be solid (if unspectacular) players at this level.

But c-golf brings up a great point about the other veteran pitchers. Lynchburg?

Edit: Actually, in looking at the Lynchburg roster as currently constituted, there's no room for these guys. And obviously, there's no room at Louisville. So what's up? I wouldn't expect somebody like Scott Carroll--or, for that matter, any of them--to be released. Maybe some people will suddenly go on the DL. Curious.
    Last edited by mace; 04-07-2010 at 11:40 AM.

Is Smith in the pen for good now? Also, is little Harang a reliever or starter?
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    I wasn't familiar with Jesus Delgado, or how he got to the Reds, but it looks like he's organizational bullpen depth. So I suppose the starting rotation would be Klinker, Buck, Thompson, Cochran and Smit. That would seem to be the strength of the team--along with Smith, Krebs and Valiquette in the pen.

And of course Alonso's bat, which will need protection. Danielson, Henry, Eymann and the catchers should be solid (if unspectacular) players at this level.

But c-golf brings up a great point about the other veteran pitchers. Lynchburg?

Edit: Actually, in looking at the Lynchburg roster as currently constituted, there's no room for these guys. And obviously, there's no room at Louisville. So what's up? I wouldn't expect somebody like Scott Carroll--or, for that matter, any of them--to be released. Maybe some people will suddenly go on the DL. Curious.
    Carroll will be on the DL to start the year. Not sure about the others.

I hope that Alonso works out (ie. does well) in LF. Although, you have to believe that at this point, he's trade bait. I just don't see him advancing past JF and Heisey. Hey, I hope he proves me wrong, but ATM, I do think he's behind them and, therefore, bait.

So where do these guys play:

Michael Griffin
    Chad Reinke
    Lee Tabor
    Federico Baez
    Bill Bray

I dont see how there is any room for them on the Louisville Roster.

Quote Originally Posted by batsfan View Post
    So where do these guys play:

Michael Griffin
    Chad Reinke
    Lee Tabor
    Federico Baez
    Bill Bray

I dont see how there is any room for them on the Louisville Roster.
    Last I heard, all those guys are slated for AAA, but there are still some roster moves that have to be made.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaRedleg View Post

Can't see any other reason for him to be in Carolina.

Walt painted himself into a corner by drafting a player who can only field one position. When you do that, and you're a National League team, you're assuming that everyone ahead of him would fail at 1st Base, or not be good enough to be able to say where they are going to play (apparently Votto has the ability to say where he's going to play).

Should have taken Gordon Beckham, Walt. But, he loves those left-handed power guys when you can get one like Alonso.

They'll turn Alonso into a Manny-esque "serviceable" Left Fielder, and we'll live with that. It will also increase his trade value, if they go that route.

Bottom line: This buys Walt another full season to see what happens with Alonso without having to trade him at a time when his trade value is 1/4th of what it's going to be two years from now.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 04-07-2010 at 07:01 PM.

Turn Off Ads?