Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now you can't even take a carry-on for free!

Now you can't even take a carry-on for free!

Spirit Air to charge for carry-on bags...

http://money.cnn.com/2010/04/06/news..._fee/index.htm

This is getting to be just plain nuts. I already have a "6-hour" rule - if I can drive it in 6, I take the car instead of fly. Might have to raise that to 8 if other airlines get on this particular bandwagon...which no doubt they will.

Next thing they'll want is a fee for taking a jacket or sweater, etc. with you!
    The seven most magic words in all the land...
    "If, in the opinion of the referee,..."

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: Now you can't even take a carry-on for free!

Consumers can speak with their wallets here, and I expect that they will. Once you fly and discover the hidden costs, "discount" fares won't look so good in the future.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

..and Spirit has claimed it is to 'speed things up' when people get on/off the flights.

I would say that Southwest Airlines is smiling big right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    ..and Spirit has claimed it is to 'speed things up' when people get on/off the flights.
    It's actually a fair point -- people struggling through security and onto the plane with giant carry-ons (necessitated by the checked bag fees and/or popular belief that you WILL lose your luggage every time if you check even 1 bag) is one of the primary reasons why the boarding/disembarking process is so slow.

If they eliminated carry-on bags, boarding would be as simple as "everyone gets in line, walks onto the plane and sits down." It'd take 3-5 minutes, tops. Security lines would be a fair bit quicker as well (though not as quickly as if people dressed properly to fly -- shoes that slip on/off easily, no elaborate belts or metal jewelry, etc.).

Though, any time your save would be completely lost by the fact that you'd be stuck in a giant line to check your luggage with the skycap or at the desk.

I don't really mind this. People abuse the carry on allowance way too much. I recently flew down to Florida and I would be shocked if every adult didn't have a carry on. It does need to be reigned in quite a bit. But ultimately the customer will speak with its wallet. If the price of the ticket (luggage included) is reasonable enough then people will fly. If its not then people won't fly Spirit.

I'd rather they made people pay for carry ons and not to check bags as they have. Ever since most airlines started charging to check bags it has made flying an even bigger PITA. Thankfully most of the time I fly it is for work and I just bill my clients for checking the bags.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Airlines should just make it simple and include the fees in the price of the ticket. One straightforward price. True the number on your screen would be higher, but at least there wouldn't be any surprises. The problem is not all airlines would go along with it, so the ones which did not would still look less expensive in the eyes of the consumer.
    The seven most magic words in all the land...
    "If, in the opinion of the referee,..."

Quote Originally Posted by LawFive View Post
    Airlines should just make it simple and include the fees in the price of the ticket. One straightforward price. True the number on your screen would be higher, but at least there wouldn't be any surprises. The problem is not all airlines would go along with it, so the ones which did not would still look less expensive in the eyes of the consumer.

I would be willing to bet that a consumer would be more prone to pay $200 for a ticket up front and the a month later play $40 for luggage than pay $230 at the time of the purchase.

FWIW I think Frontier had a couple of different ticket prices. One was just for the flight and one included luggage. I think they were somewhat different because of the number of skiers they flew. When you travel with ski gear you are forced to check more luggage.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I would be willing to bet that a consumer would be more prone to pay $200 for a ticket up front and the a month later play $40 for luggage than pay $230 at the time of the purchase.

FWIW I think Frontier had a couple of different ticket prices. One was just for the flight and one included luggage. I think they were somewhat different because of the number of skiers they flew. When you travel with ski gear you are forced to check more luggage.
    yup, I work in the Travel technology business and on the web it is all about getting the consumer to accept the "teaser" price and click through to book. Unless everybody did this, then those who didn't would suffer. That's why once once airline starts un-bundling, everyone soon follows suit. Pretty soon you'll have to pay to use the bathroom.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    yup, I work in the Travel technology business and on the web it is all about getting the consumer to accept the "teaser" price and click through to book. Unless everybody did this, then those who didn't would suffer. That's why once once airline starts un-bundling, everyone soon follows suit. Pretty soon you'll have to pay to use the bathroom.
    "Truth in fare advertising" is probably you'll see something the FAA tackle or Congress tackle, at some point. It's already reached an absurdity point and heading even further south.

Pretty soon you'll have to pay to use the bathroom.

Not me.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

You guessed it

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/04/07...ex.html?hpt=T2

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

The good thing about this is that people will check bags they should have checked in the first place.

I'm surprised that the airlines didn't start this move from fare to fees sooner, since the tickets themselves are so heavily taxed.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierRedsFan View Post
    They charge to use public restrooms in Europe as is so I don't see this as a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Though, any time your save would be completely lost by the fact that you'd be stuck in a giant line to check your luggage with the skycap or at the desk.
    And at the baggage claim carousel, which is already miserable.

The only people who will save any time are the ones who only fly with the clothes on their backs. I don't know many people like that.

If an airline is making be pay for bags whether they are carry-or or checked, I'm going to carry on every time. And I'm going to start using bigger carry-on bags.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?