Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Votto Extension?

Votto Extension?

MLB Traderumors calls Joey Votto a prime candidate for extension talks and identifies possible comparables, including Adam Lind, Mark Reynolds, Prince Fielder, Ryan Zimmerman and Kevin Youkilis.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/0...ibilities.html

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Votto Extension?

I would hold off still. Good player, but I still have to wonder about his health.

I agree, need to see if he can go a whole season without the anxiety problems, if he can get thru it yes, this is why you cant trade Alonso

I completely agree. Before signing Votto to an extension lets see if his health problems were a one time incident.

Quote Originally Posted by steig View Post
    I completely agree. Before signing Votto to an extension lets see if his health problems were a one time incident.
    It was twice. But the other time (August), he just played through it.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steig View Post
    I can't help but to disagree. Obviously I will never know the whole story, but his problems seem to have stemmed from the death in his family last year. I would be thrilled to lock him up right this moment. Wait too long and he's going to keep putting up monster numbers and command more and more money.

some people seem to lump all psychiatric issues in a big basket.
    Votto had depression & anxiety/panic attack issues which are now under control. i suspect he is under the care of a therapist. he may even be taking a mild antidepressant temporarilly. this is the kind of issue that can affect almost anyone. he does NOT have some sort of permanent severe psychiatric issue like say paranoid schizophrenia.

sign him now. he is the face of the franchise.

He will likely never be cheaper.

I'm going to disagree.

The reason why you sign young studs like Votto is to roll the dice and invest in a player who you think has good odds of providing a large amount of surplus value over a long term contract. There are going to be risks with a deal of this type, but you need to figure out if it is calculated risk. If you make similar decisions like this every time they come up, will you save money in the long run? That is the calculation that needs to be made.

Sure Votto could have the mental health problems again, but any young player could get injured. That's the risk you take with any long term contract. Yes, Votto is slightly more likely to lose playing time because of these problems than the average player, but only slightly more. I think that the odds of these problems occurring again are low enough that you sign him now.

You can probably use them to get a better deal. If you wait until he plays a full season, you might not get that much of a discount after all, especially if he has another monster year.

And let's say these problems come back. He has shown that he can fight through them, and return his old self rather quickly. Let's say he has the same problem he had in '09, every year of the contract. That would mean that he would be worth around $20M a year.

Right now, you could probably sign Votto to a 5 year $40M contract with ease. So close to worst case scenario, he has his problems come up every year, and only provides $100M of value over the length of the contract. or $60M of surplus value. The only real risk is his problems make it impossible to play at all, but I'd say the odds of that are less than the odds of him getting injured and not being able to play.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    Votto had depression & anxiety/panic attack issues which are now under control. i suspect he is under the care of a therapist. he may even be taking a mild antidepressant temporarilly. this is the kind of issue that can affect almost anyone. he does NOT have some sort of permanent severe psychiatric issue like say paranoid schizophrenia.

When Votto said he deals with it every day back in spring training, or when after he came back last year he noted how he dealt with it again in August, I don't think I can hop on that 'he has it under control' train.

My vote is lock this man up for the next 6+.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post

This is going to be a sensitive issue for a lot of people but depression can be permanent and could cause problems on and off for the rest of his career. We simply do not know and we certainly will never have access to that information.

Votto is still under the control of the Reds and while you can make the argument that he will never be cheaper than he is right now. You can also make an argument that his mental health issues may have made the Yankees and Red Sox not interested in Votto due to the level of stress that comes with playing for those teams and their media attention.

Either way you have to gamble at some level. It's just a matter of when do the Reds choose to roll the dice and the type of year that Yonder has in 2010 may dictate more than anything which route the Reds decide.

A little too early...but if he makes it through half of the season with great production and no signs of issues, go for it.

Senor Votto

Give him a life time contract

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    Give him a life time contract
    Why would Votto want to stay with the Reds?

Toronto is looking good when Free Agency comes up, eh?
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Turn Off Ads?