Turn Off Ads?
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627

Thread: 4/7/10- Reds vs. Cardinals

Re: 4/7/10- Reds vs. Cardinals

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    The Reds score NINE runs in two games off two guys who were 1-2 in the Cy Young Award ballotting last year. Yet we are 0-2. Our pitching gave up 17 runs in two games. Yuck. I repeat Yuck!

No they didn't.

They scored 2 runs off Carpenter on 2 solo HR's. They scored 2 runs off Wainright on a 2R HR. That's 4 runs in 13 IP off those two guys for a 2.77 ERA. The rest were on the Cards pen.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04 View Post
    Francisco.

I don't let Gomes touch a righty with grade A-B stuff like Wainwright, Carpenter, and even Loshe.
    You have to save Francisco for the pitchers spot, which was 2 spots later.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc D View Post
    No they didn't.

They scored 2 runs off Carpenter on 2 solo HR's. They scored 2 runs off Wainright on a 2R HR. That's 4 runs in 13 IP off those two guys for a 2.77 ERA. The rest were on the Cards pen.
    ok. what's your point?

my point is that the Reds scored nine runs in two games started by Carpenter & Wainright. thats pretty darn good IMO & its quite disappointing to be 0-2 when the offense seems to have done its job fairly well.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    You have to save Francisco for the pitchers spot, which was 2 spots later.
    which is when you bring in Owings...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    which is when you bring in Owings...
    You really would rather have Francisco/Owings up than Gomes/Francisco? I wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    You really would rather have Francisco/Owings up than Gomes/Francisco? I wouldn't.
    Gomes was 0-3 against righties on the night with 3 k's... He's a career .224 hitter vs. rhp's.

Meanwhile Francisco has hit righties nearly 40 points better than he hits lefties in his minor league career and is 9 for 19 vs. them in the majors... Consider the fact that Franklin really doesn't miss bats, and he's the right choice here... Owings is a career .300 hitter if it gets that far... still not a bad option, and if he's batting the chances are it's either ending with his AB or ending as a win...

Batting Gomes there though is pretty much waving a white flag.

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

For the record... the 3 strikeouts by Gomes came on only 15 pitches before that AB... and one AB was a 9 pitch affair... That's right... He struck out on 3 pitches in his first 2 ab's... Not like he's even putting up a fight against rhp's at that point.

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    it is interesting to see Gomes in there vs a RHP. i suspect the playing time in CF & LF is 'up for grabs' and whoever plays well gets to play more.

Dickerson's 'laser' throw to the vicinity of home plate monday didn't help his "my glove makes up for my lack of power" case.
    That was a bad throw but Dickerson also made a great throw to second base to hold Pujols to a single earlier in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    THAT is why Janish is not your starting shortstop.

Should silence the haters for a while.
    Why does anyone have to be called a "Hater"? We are all Reds Fans here, we all have our own opinions and try to discuss those opinions with other Reds Fans. Pointing out and discussing a weakness in a player doesn't have to involve hatred. I hate the term/label "Hater".

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    I felt like I got hit in the stomach when the Reds hired Baker. Disliked the move, dislike his lineups, dislike his approach to advanced stats, wish the Reds had almost anyone else...

However, he has hands down been the best manager of a pitching staff, especially the bullpen, the Reds have had since Davey Johnson.
    Because the Reds haven't really had many talented pitchers since Davey Johnson.

I've said it before and will again "The only difference between Dusty Baker and Jerry Narron is Baker has always had more talented players".
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 04-08-2010 at 05:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04 View Post
    Francisco.

I don't let Gomes touch a righty with grade A-B stuff like Wainwright, Carpenter, and even Loshe.
    How about Ryan Franklin? His stuff hardly qualifies.

If you're afraid to end the game with Gomes batting against a RH, then you certainly wouldn't want to put Francisco up in such high pressure. He might never recover.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Turn Off Ads?