Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: You Play to Win The Game

You Play to Win The Game

I thought Chris Welsh made a great point about Tony Larussa tonight.

Keels asked him why Franklin pitched the 9th on Monday when it wasn't a save situation. Welsh said he didn't think Larussa cared about what players wanted and that he "played to win the game" above all other things.

He said "winning" comes first.... players come second" to Larussa.

It was noticeable to me that it was quite tongue and cheek when Welsh said it. Obviously, to teh Dust his players come first and winning comes second. I'm sure he would tell you differently, but is whole career he's been pegged a solid "player manager."

I despise Tony "Evil Genius" Larussa just as much as the next guy. But the guy wins year in and year out. I'm starting to come around to FCB land. The Cards are a great team.

*Please cue Herm Edwards now: "YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME"

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar

Re: You Play to Win The Game

Honestly, I can't help but think that if Dusty managed the Cards and LaRussa managed the Reds tonight, the Reds win hands down. Probably a lot of bias in that after a nasty loss, but I can't shake the feeling it's the truth.

It's just the little things that drive me crazy about this team. The things that well coached teams just don't do. The infield debauchery tonight, making Wainwright put in zero work for 6 innings, swinging at poor pitches, etc. I just think the general Dusty "clogging up the bases" philosophy of hit the ball and don't take the walk has had a huge negative impact on this team.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Dusty ain't out there flailing wildly at Wainwright's curveball (which he hung more than a few times) or throwing 93 MPH fastballs right down the middle of the plate to the heart of the Cardinals order.

It all starts with executing, and the Reds aren't executing on offense or on the mound right now.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

"Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04 View Post
    I thought Chris Welsh made a great point about Tony Larussa tonight.

Keels asked him why Franklin pitched the 9th on Monday when it wasn't a save situation. Welsh said he didn't think Larussa cared about what players wanted and that he "played to win the game" above all other things.

He said "winning" comes first.... players come second" to Larussa.

It was noticeable to me that it was quite tongue and cheek when Welsh said it. Obviously, to teh Dust his players come first and winning comes second. I'm sure he would tell you differently, but is whole career he's been pegged a solid "player manager."

I despise Tony "Evil Genius" Larussa just as much as the next guy. But the guy wins year in and year out. I'm starting to come around to FCB land. The Cards are a great team.

*Please cue Herm Edwards now: "YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME"
    i was going to post something like this but though i would get pelted with rotten fruit.

my wife said the EXACT same thing after watching Lincoln pitch on opening day. she said 'its nice for Lincoln for Dusty to show some confidence in him but it seems like Dusty is more interested in keeping players happy than winning. he doesn't have the fire in the belly.'

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Dusty ain't out there flailing wildly at Wainwright's curveball (which he hung more than a few times) or throwing 93 MPH fastballs right down the middle of the plate to the heart of the Cardinals order.

It all starts with executing, and the Reds aren't executing on offense or on the mound right now.
    But isn't it the manager's job to get in the ear-hole of those that don't execute? Certainly this is a much better tactic then "get em next time dude."

How can you even trust a manager that uses the word "dude" in everyday language?:

Dusty makes me nauseous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

The bullpen and the defense was supposed to be two of the Reds strong points this season. So far, both have been terrible. The bullpen has allowed 11 runs in two games.

My spring optimism has quickly worn off after these first two games. I forgot how frustrating Dusty Baker can be. He's already got me pulling my hair out after two games. First, he brings in Mike Lincoln in a two run game on Opening Day. Then tonight he brings in the rookie Ondrusek in a tie game and that move backfired just like it did with Lincoln. I also hated the move to attempt a steal with Phillips with a 3-1 count on Rolen. Even though he appeared to be safe, that caught stealing ruined a potentially big inning.

As for the defense, it's been disappointing so far. On Opening Day, Aaron Harang gave away a run with a poor pickoff throw. Chris Dickerson had a runner out at the plate by 20 feet but airmailed the throw over Hernandez's head, and Orlando Cabrera showed well below average range. Tonight, Votto botched a routine grounder that led to a run. It was ruled a hit but it was clearly an error. More on that in a minute.

In that same inning a routine grounder somehow made it in to left field because of Cabrera's poor range. Back to the the Votto error. I find it hilarious that the official scorer ruled that a hit. It was a routine groundball. If that's a hit then baseball just needs to abandon the error and rule everything a hit. Some of these official scorers are an embarrassment to baseball.

On the brightside, Johnny Cueto pitched well. Only one of those two runs should have been earned, and a couple of the hits were bloopers. He did walk three hitters but a couple of them could've easily been strikeouts, IMO. I thought Cueto and Wainwright were both squeezed at times tonight.

Hopefully Arroyo can pitch well tomorrow and the Reds come away with a win. You don't want to start the season out 0-3.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 04-08-2010 at 12:10 AM.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04 View Post
    But isn't it the manager's job to get in the ear-hole of those that don't execute? Certainly this is a much better tactic then "get em next time dude."
    So shouting at players on night 2 of a 162 game season is what a good manager should be doing?

Sorry, I just don't see it.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

Let's go pound some Budweisers.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    i was going to post something like this but though i would get pelted with rotten fruit.

my wife said the EXACT same thing after watching Lincoln pitch on opening day. she said 'its nice for Lincoln for Dusty to show some confidence in him but it seems like Dusty is more interested in keeping players happy than winning. he doesn't have the fire in the belly.'
    Smart Lady.

My wife said the same thing about bringing in a rookie to face Pujols and Holiday in a tie ballgame.

I don't know Baker personally and for all intensive persons he sounds like a great baseball personality. But give me Larussa on a bad day before Dusty Baker.

Some will say "well if Ondrusek throws a perfect inning" then Dusty looks like a genius. No he doesn't. Half of the ballpark is already mumbling about this move before it even happens. The booth is mumbling about it before it happens.

It wasn't the only poor thing he did all night. The first thing was starting Gomes over Dickerson. He wanted to start Gomes and Stubbs not because they were better at the position but he was trying to keep everyone happy in the outfield. We're not talking about Clemente, Bonds, and Ruth out there. We're talking about guys like Laynce freaking Nix, Chris "almost 28" Dickerson, and Johnny "Nobody but the Reds wanted me" Gomes. These guys don't have egos to smooth over, their lucky to be on a major league club!

All I ask is to field the best 9 you have day in and day out, give pitchers a chance to succeed, and TRY to look at the numbers. He does neither time and time again.

Just don't get swept and everything is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Just don't get swept and everything is fine.
    1 out of every 3 is a golden ticket to 60 wins

WOO!
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    So shouting at players on night 2 of a 162 game season is what a good manager should be doing?

Sorry, I just don't see it.
    And I don't need to convince you because I wasn't saying a yelling manager immediately gets good results.

And does Night 2 really differ from 162? They all count.

Turn Off Ads?