Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Alonso in LF

Alonso in LF

So as we know via Jocketty, Alonso will be starting the season off at AA playing LF predominately in the hopes that he will occupy the often changing LF spot at The Show.

The question is, will it work?

LF is the easiest spot on the field to play (IMO) and certainly the easiest outside of 1B. But we've all heard on RZ Alonso is "slow" and "not athletic" and could only play 1B. I think we'd all agree that the likelihood of Alonso being a positive defender is unlikely, especially for a while. But the question is, can he at least be a neutral defender quickly? Can he be better than Dunn in LF (as a defender--not a hitter)? And even with negative defense, can he still add value to the team in LF? Can he be more valuable in the LF than Heisey would be? Or Dickerson/Gomes for the matter?

I think starting him at AA this year is definitely the right move so that he can adjust to LF with lesser competition while getting trying to get some ABs. I imagine if he's raking he'll be in Louisville quickly and maybe best case scenario, he gets a September callup or makes the team next year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Alonso in LF

I don't think he can be as good as Dunn was in Left Field.

I'm thinking Manny Ramirez for an "upside".

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

It is certainly going to be interesting to see it play out. I think he could at the very least be as good as Dunn was toward the end of his Reds career. Its almost impossible to be any worse than that. With that said, he needs to be better than that to be a legit option in left for the Reds.
    Last edited by dougdirt; 04-08-2010 at 02:17 PM.

Its all about instincts and jumps. Alonso can be "slow" but if he gets a good read off the ball then he can make a lot of that up, especially in LF. I think thats what really hurt Dunn. I never thought he had good reactions.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    It is certainly going to be interesting to see it play out. I think he could at the very least be ass good as Dunn was toward the end of his Reds career. Its almost impossible to be any worse than that. With that said, he needs to be better than that to be a legit option in left for the Reds.
    Doug, this is a family board, I don't think you should refer to someone's fielding as being "ass good".

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Doug, this is a family board, I don't think you should refer to someone's fielding as being "ass good".
    Some typo's are much more funny than others lol.

I am delighted they are making this attempt to find a spot for Alonso's bat. Full credit to the organization for giving it a look.

If it will take a long time for Alonso to be even OK in LF, does it make sense to move him to LF? Instead of letting him continue to get better at 1B increasing his trade value?

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    If it will take a long time for Alonso to be even OK in LF, does it make sense to move him to LF? Instead of letting him continue to get better at 1B increasing his trade value?
    Well if the Reds want to keep him, then it absolutely makes sense. The question is, just how long will it take him to get to an acceptable point in LF? Todd Frazier got the hang of things pretty quickly out there last year. Clearly Frazier is a better athlete of the two guys, but he got the hang of things pretty quickly.

Alonso has a double and a run scored tonight as the Mudcats are up 2-0. Klinker got the start.

Turn Off Ads?