Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yonder Alonso in left last night?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Yonder Alonso in left last night?

Any word on how Alonso looked in left field last night?

Just wondering,as I got big hopes for his bat.

Re: Yonder Alonso in left last night?

mem, thats just a game thread it doesnt answer the question, I was wondering as well if anyone was able to attend the game or saw it on tv

According to the milb.com game thread, he had two putouts. He also fielded a ground ball double and a lined single. Don't know if these were clean or misplayed.

Not much to go on.

If anyone knows, it will be in threads like that, where a bunch of those guys have MILBTV packages.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    If anyone knows, it will be in threads like that, where a bunch of those guys have MILBTV packages.
    Carolina unfortunately isn't going to be on the Milb.tv package as far as I know.

I live near the Mudcats park and will see several games this year, beginning with the home opener. I'll convey what I see. I am especially interested in his move to left. I saw him play first base here last year when he wasn't injured.

Can Justin Smoak play LF? And I'm not trying to be cute. I really have no idea.

When Should Rangers Call Up Smoak?

Smoak, who is ranked as baseball's ninth-best prospect by Keith Law and 13th overall by Baseball America, currently remains in Triple A. Let's take a look at the pros and cons of bringing Smoak to the majors in the near future.
    BTW, here are his numbers through the first 10 games

.353 .500 .647 1.147
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

there was a pretty big contingency of folks from here that wanted smoak over alonso.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    there was a pretty big contingency of folks from here that wanted smoak over alonso.
    and more yet that wanted Beckham over either...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    and more yet that wanted Beckham over either...
    That contingency has had a huge influx in people that I dont remember seeing back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    That contingency has had a huge influx in people that I dont remember seeing back in the day.
    Watch it get smaller again when Alonso comes up and tears up the NL for the Reds.

I'll say it now, no matter what happens in future. Beckham made more sense for us as a power hitting infielder (SS, 2b, or 3b). And if you were going to take a 1b, I prefer Smoak over Alonso.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I'll say it now, no matter what happens in future. Beckham made more sense for us as a power hitting infielder (SS, 2b, or 3b). And if you were going to take a 1b, I prefer Smoak over Alonso.
    Id agree with that. I also dont think they took Alonso because he was better though. I think you have to weigh in that if Alonso produces his trade value is going to be more valuable than a guy like Gordan Beckham.

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Id agree with that. I also dont think they took Alonso because he was better though. I think you have to weigh in that if Alonso produces his trade value is going to be more valuable than a guy like Gordan Beckham.
    A team like the Reds shouldn't be concerned with trade value as much as positional value. This franchise needs to draft for future value. We had a young guy at 1B who had been productive throughout his minor league career. I think he was MVP of the Southern League and Rook of the Year in AAA back to back years. We had no clear SS of the future and knew how expensive Phillips was going to become in 2011. So why take Alonso over Beckham? Beckham could have solved the SS issue at least as a stop gap and moved over to 2B next year. Heck he could make the conversion over to LF easier than Alonso probably.

The FO needs to draft based on contract futures and even need somewhat vs PBA. The draft is a crapshoot. Heyward was passed on by 10 - 15 teams and he will probably turn out to be the best player in that draft class...

Turn Off Ads?