Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yonder Alonso in left last night?

Re: Yonder Alonso in left last night?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    You can never draft based on needs because as you say, its a crapshoot.
    If it's a crapshoot, then there's no such thing as BPA, as all bets are equally slim.

Of course, the thing is, Alonso wasn't the BPA. Every draft board I saw had Beckham higher than Alonso, and if my memory serves, Smoak as well. I think the highest I saw Alonso was like 12th.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    If it's a crapshoot, then there's no such thing as BPA, as all bets are equally slim.

Of course, the thing is, Alonso wasn't the BPA. Every draft board I saw had Beckham higher than Alonso, and if my memory serves, Smoak as well. I think the highest I saw Alonso was like 12th.
    BPA for the Reds might not be the same as someone just ranking them.

Drafting Beckham wouldn't have changed that.
    I have no doubt he could play SS better than Cabrera
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Hey,I got a question.

Any one see Yonder Alonso in left last night?

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post

You take the BPA according to your scouts. Our scouts must have thought Alonso BPA.

You take the BPA according to your scouts. Our scouts must have thought Alonso BPA.
    Joe Mauer says hi. So does Scott Kazmir.

You know that doesn't always happen. And these guys make mistakes.

I do think at the point the reds drafted, 8th, that the talent pool becomes muddied a bit. Beckham, Smoak and Alonso probably were considered similar talent for overall production. Then you can add need, ability to fast track to BPA.

It isn't black and white and it shouldn't be. I don't mind the Alonso pick. I hope he tears it up while playing at least average LF defense. But I won't be upset if he's packaged for a player that helps the 25 man roster either.
    Suck it up cupcake.

the funny thing is I have no doubt Beckham would be a better SS than Alonso will be a LF.

The Reds currently have 3 infielders(Frazier, Alonso, Francisco) playing at least some OF in AA/AAA because they are blocked at their infield positions.

At some point someone is going to have to go. Hopefully this time the resources will be used to attempt to solve a long term issue.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by ddrone View Post
    Hey,I got a question.

Any one see Yonder Alonso in left last night?
    Same, it would be nice to know if anyone has heard any reports on his defense vs the same old rehash of Alonso vs Beckham vs Smoak
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Joe Mauer says hi. So does Scott Kazmir.
    Joe Mauer was the #1 overall draft pick?

You know that doesn't always happen. And these guys make mistakes.
    Of course they make mistakes. I just don't get the idea where the Reds have already completely failed that pick like some talk about. It isn't like we drafted Kyle Skipworth that season.

Quote Originally Posted by bubbachunk View Post
    Same, it would be nice to know if anyone has heard any reports on his defense vs the same old rehash of Alonso vs Beckham vs Smoak
    Agreed - can we please start a separate thread for the 'Who should the Reds have drafted in 2008' discussion?

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    I have no doubt he could play SS better than Cabrera
    Based on what? No scouting director or General Manager in 2008 thought Gordon Beckham would ever play SS in MLB. Every single one of them knew he would turn into a 3B or 2b or even a 1B when he it MLB. Cabrera has played SS in MLB for how long? C'mon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    Based on what? No scouting director or General Manager in 2008 thought Gordon Beckham would ever play SS in MLB. Every single one of them knew he would turn into a 3B or 2b or even a 1B when he it MLB. Cabrera has played SS in MLB for how long? C'mon.
    and played it poorly last year, and worse so far this year.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    the funny thing is I have no doubt Beckham would be a better SS than Alonso will be a LF.

The Reds currently have 3 infielders(Frazier, Alonso, Francisco) playing at least some OF in AA/AAA because they are blocked at their infield positions.

At some point someone is going to have to go. Hopefully this time the resources will be used to attempt to solve a long term issue.
    In fairness, I think the decision to try Francisco in the OF has far more to do with his inability to play 3B rather than him being blocked at the big league level.

In regards to the Red's decision to try Alonso in LF, I like the move by the organization. I don't like his chances of sticking in LF long term, but even if he were able to play a decent LF for a few years he could be a huge boost for the big league club. If nothing else it would buy the Reds a couple more years to evaluate both he and Joey Votto and determine who best fits in the organization's long term plans.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    and played it poorly last year, and worse so far this year.
    Maybe. Pretty small sample for this season...My point is that Cabrera has been a legitimate MLB SS while Beckham was never going to play there. I'm still amazed that people continue to bring him up as a SS when none of the 30 MLB teams scouts and GM's would even have considered him a SS when he was drafted. The choice to take Alonso takes undue abuse on this board; these picks haven't even had a reasonable amount of time to develop. The expectations around that pick is ridiculous; what has Beckham done anyway? Nothing overly fantastic...it's not like he's Lincecum...

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    Maybe. Pretty small sample for this season...My point is that Cabrera has been a legitimate MLB SS while Beckham was never going to play there. I'm still amazed that people continue to bring him up as a SS when none of the 30 MLB teams scouts and GM's would even have considered him a SS when he was drafted. The choice to take Alonso takes undue abuse on this board; these picks haven't even had a reasonable amount of time to develop. The expectations around that pick is ridiculous; what has Beckham done anyway? Nothing overly fantastic...it's not like he's Lincecum...
    Uh-oh. Not that can of worms . . .

Turn Off Ads?