Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Infield fly rule Double Play. >>???

Infield fly rule Double Play. >>???

Im not sure about everyone else. But it seemed like everyone was a bit confused about the play.

The announcers on wlw didnt explain much about the play either.

Im a bit confused about the whole thing.

When i was playing ball, if an ifield fly rule was called the Umpire announced it and the play was dead. Deadball as in no baserunners mar advance, nobody can get out. Just the batter is out automatically no matter whether the infielder caught the ball or not.

From what the announcers said the umpire called for an infield fly. And also after watching this video they are saying the same thing.

So if the infield fly was called then there would be no force play at 2nd base.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=7322413

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Infield fly rule Double Play. >>???

The only thing I can think of is that the umpires made a mistake. If the ball is caught on an infield fly, they still have to tag up to advance but if it isn't then they don't have to.

Here is what happened. The umpire called and signaled for the infield fly meaning the hitter (I think it was Holiday) was out. Pujols was off first a bit and didn't hear the call or see it. When the ball dropped he started towards 2nd. The throw came to 2nd and Pujols thought he was forced out then stopped in the baseline, the fielder went and tagged him for the Actual 3rd out and the completion of the double play.

ahhh^^^ he's correct.

So there was no force out lat 2nd like the announcers had said.

The first out was the batter and the 2nd out was just pujols being a dumbdumb.

Pretty heads up play on cabreras side.

However i could have sworn i remembered an infield fly rule back when i played being a dead ball. Meaning no runners could advance or be tagged out.

I guess thats not the case in the majors.

Quote Originally Posted by bgwilly31 View Post
    ahhh^^^ he's correct.

So there was no force out lat 2nd like the announcers had said.

The first out was the batter and the 2nd out was just pujols being a dumbdumb.

Pretty heads up play on cabreras side.

However i could have sworn i remembered an infield fly rule back when i played being a dead ball. Meaning no runners could advance or be tagged out.

I guess thats not the case in the majors.

The infield fly rule is that the batter is out and a runner can advance at its own risk. If Pujols safely made it to 2nd he could have stayed there since the ball was dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by coach23 View Post
    The infield fly rule is that the batter is out and a runner can advance at its own risk. If Pujols safely made it to 2nd he could have stayed there since the ball was dropped.
    or he could have just gone back to 1st.

and i already said i understand the rule. Just said back when i played.....Well go read my post.

Plan to be spontaneous Jefferson24's Avatar

never heard of it being called a deadball, it certainly not that way in little league or anything above that, I suspect. Maybe just some house rule that was adopted in your particular league bgwilly31.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

well i figure the base runners actually advancing on any infield fly rule would be pretty rare, anyhow. Even under the mlb rule.

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting The Voice of IH's Avatar

I lost my little league championship because the first base coach did not know the rule, it was very similar to the play. we where down by one, men on first and second and basically ready to score and win this game. but the ball was popped up just behind the second baseman, infield fly was called, but the ball was dropped. the first base coach screams at the runners to RUN RUN RUN GOO RUN!!!!! the second baseman ran over and tagged the runner heading for second, and that was the ball game. soooooo disappointing. I know the coach felt sick. I was so pissed at the time.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Plan to be spontaneous Jefferson24's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bgwilly31 View Post
    well i figure the base runners actually advancing on any infield fly rule would be pretty rare, anyhow. Even under the mlb rule.
    The mlb isn't any different that any other rule all the way down to little league. If there is another rule used in that situation it is a house rule adopted by that local league.
    Last edited by Jefferson24; 04-09-2010 at 09:44 PM.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

The infield fly rule does not mean a stoppage in play. It simply means the batter is out. If the runners advance without tagging up while the infielder catches it on the fly, then they can be forced out at their original base. If the infielder does not catch it the runners are no longer forced to advance since the batter is automatically out. Yet as pointed out earlier in the thread the runners can still advance at their own risk, but they must be tagged out since it's no longer a force situation.

Turn Off Ads?