Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 71

Thread: Good Arroyo vs Bad Arroyo

  1. #1
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,087

    Good Arroyo vs Bad Arroyo

    We know the story. His second half is always better than his 1st. He's a party guy. He'd rather play guitar and sing than play ball. At least that's how he is portrayed.

    I see something different. I see a guy that knows this is his last year as a Red. I see a guy that has been durable, coming off his best half season ever and doing his best to follow it up. I see a guy playing for his next contract.

    This can only be a good thing for the Reds.

    If the Reds are out of it, and Bronson is Good Arroyo for the first half, he's worth a small mint. If the Reds are in it, he's a horse that can protect the bullpen, and likely a big reason why they are in it. I truly think this will be his career best season. No rose colored glasses. I see a man playing for his next payday, and he wants it to be a big one. The Arroyo I saw on the mound yesterday was an ace. plain and simple. He willed everything into that game, even at the plate. He was, in a word, a stopper.

    For all the talk of Leake, Chapman and Wood, this season hinges on Arroyo and Harang. BA has shown up. Aaron usually does well against the Cubs, hopefully it will jumpstart his season.
    Suck it up cupcake.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    24,891

    Re: Good Arroyo vs Bad Arroyo

    If the Reds ever play in a big game, my first choice to take the ball would be Arroyo.

  4. #3
    Playoffs Cyclone792's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,263

    Re: Good Arroyo vs Bad Arroyo

    I certainly know what you mean. I didn't say it Wednesday night, but when the Reds lost that game in disappointing fashion, I thought to myself that they'll escape the series without a sweep because Arroyo was going to shut the Cardinals down on Thursday afternoon.

    Bronson answered, and now it's time for the other 24 guys to respond with a fire this weekend against the Flubs.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

    Put an end to the Lost Decade.

  5. #4
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,195

    Re: Good Arroyo vs Bad Arroyo

    Bronson isn't necessarily a first or second half guy, but he's for the last five years running been a "one half" guy. It's pretty predictable. He does have value because of his durability and slightly above-average (and high number) innings.

    I love what he's brought to this franchise. I wish it didn't take over $10 mil to do it, but that doesn't mean I appreciate him any less.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  6. #5
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: Good Arroyo vs Bad Arroyo

    He's not a "half guy" at all. He pitches well almost the entire year with the exception of about a month sometime in may-june, or about the time bats heat up real well. It's like clockwork sometime in mid may or later he just is brutal for about 5-6 starts.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  7. #6
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,195

    Re: Good Arroyo vs Bad Arroyo

    Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    He's not a "half guy" at all. He pitches well almost the entire year with the exception of about a month sometime in may-june, or about the time bats heat up real well. It's like clockwork sometime in mid may or later he just is brutal for about 5-6 starts.
    Absolutely not true.

    EDIT:

    Here are the numbers (for quick reference, I did pre and post-all star ERA)

    2009

    Pre AS - 5.38
    Post AS - 2.24

    2008

    Pre AS - 5.97
    Post AS - 3.47

    2007

    Pre AS - 4.84
    Post AS - 3.55

    2006

    Pre AS - 3.12
    Post AS - 3.50

    2005

    Pre AS - 4.02
    Post AS - 5.08


    Those are some fairly drastic splits.
    Last edited by Brutus; 04-09-2010 at 08:36 PM.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  8. #7
    Member Spitball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    5,598

    Re: Good Arroyo vs Bad Arroyo

    I'd like to see the Reds try to extend Arroyo's contract right now. I truly believe he would sign below market value because loyalty and appreciation seem to have greater motivational lure than money to him.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    8,788

    Re: Good Arroyo vs Bad Arroyo

    I've always felt like Arroyo has been underappreciated at RZ.

  10. #9
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,288

    Re: Good Arroyo vs Bad Arroyo

    If Arroyo throws together a solid season, would it make sense to exercise the option, cut Harang loose, and shop one of the youngsters for a veteran bat to fill one of the holes?

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    8,788

    Re: Good Arroyo vs Bad Arroyo

    Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    If Arroyo throws together a solid season, would it make sense to exercise the option, cut Harang loose, and shop one of the youngsters for a veteran bat to fill one of the holes?
    I think the biggest issue would be one of cost. The option is not cheap and even with trading Harang and getting a veteran bat, the financials would be similar. I think the Reds want to shave salary more than they want to spend.

  12. #11
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,288

    Re: Good Arroyo vs Bad Arroyo

    Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I think the biggest issue would be one of cost. The option is not cheap and even with trading Harang and getting a veteran bat, the financials would be similar. I think the Reds want to shave salary more than they want to spend.
    If the team is headed in the right direction (solid progress being seen throughout the season), it might be difficult going into a season with a rotation of Homer, Chapman, Volquez, Cueto and Leake. If this team were to, for example, contend for a WC into late August with Arroyo pitching well, I'm not sure that they could take the risk of losing that momentum by going into 2011 with Homer and Cueto as the veterans of the pitching staff.

  13. #12
    Member hebroncougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,207

    Re: Good Arroyo vs Bad Arroyo

    I was thinking to myself today.....I wonder if Arroyo would waive the option, and extend for something like 3 years at $7.5-9 million per.

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    8,788

    Re: Good Arroyo vs Bad Arroyo

    Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    If the team is headed in the right direction (solid progress being seen throughout the season), it might be difficult going into a season with a rotation of Homer, Chapman, Volquez, Cueto and Leake. If this team were to, for example, contend for a WC into late August with Arroyo pitching well, I'm not sure that they could take the risk of losing that momentum by going into 2011 with Homer and Cueto as the veterans of the pitching staff.
    Hard to say. Financial resources are limited. What if Cueto and Bailey have knockout years? I can't see them ponying up big bucks if those guys make drastic improvements.

  15. #14
    "Let's Roll" TeamBoone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    12,840

    Re: Good Arroyo vs Bad Arroyo

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    We know the story. His second half is always better than his 1st. He's a party guy. He'd rather play guitar and sing than play ball. At least that's how he is portrayed.
    Except by a few on this board, I don't think he's portrayed that way at all. Besides, he's stated publicly over and over and over that baseball is his career and comes first, and that singing is merely his hobby.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

  16. #15
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: Good Arroyo vs Bad Arroyo

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Absolutely not true.

    EDIT:

    Here are the numbers (for quick reference, I did pre and post-all star ERA)

    2009

    Pre AS - 5.38
    Post AS - 2.24

    2008

    Pre AS - 5.97
    Post AS - 3.47

    2007

    Pre AS - 4.84
    Post AS - 3.55

    2006

    Pre AS - 3.12
    Post AS - 3.50

    2005

    Pre AS - 4.02
    Post AS - 5.08


    Those are some fairly drastic splits.
    It absolutely is true. Go back and look at what he done prior to mid may in all those seasons and watch how his era blows up in that month, month and a half. Yes it appears his whole 1st half stunk but in reality he was fine until he ran into hot bats.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 04-09-2010 at 11:21 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25