Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Good Arroyo vs Bad Arroyo

Good Arroyo vs Bad Arroyo

We know the story. His second half is always better than his 1st. He's a party guy. He'd rather play guitar and sing than play ball. At least that's how he is portrayed.

I see something different. I see a guy that knows this is his last year as a Red. I see a guy that has been durable, coming off his best half season ever and doing his best to follow it up. I see a guy playing for his next contract.

This can only be a good thing for the Reds.

If the Reds are out of it, and Bronson is Good Arroyo for the first half, he's worth a small mint. If the Reds are in it, he's a horse that can protect the bullpen, and likely a big reason why they are in it. I truly think this will be his career best season. No rose colored glasses. I see a man playing for his next payday, and he wants it to be a big one. The Arroyo I saw on the mound yesterday was an ace. plain and simple. He willed everything into that game, even at the plate. He was, in a word, a stopper.

For all the talk of Leake, Chapman and Wood, this season hinges on Arroyo and Harang. BA has shown up. Aaron usually does well against the Cubs, hopefully it will jumpstart his season.
    Suck it up cupcake.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Good Arroyo vs Bad Arroyo

If the Reds ever play in a big game, my first choice to take the ball would be Arroyo.

I certainly know what you mean. I didn't say it Wednesday night, but when the Reds lost that game in disappointing fashion, I thought to myself that they'll escape the series without a sweep because Arroyo was going to shut the Cardinals down on Thursday afternoon.

Bronson answered, and now it's time for the other 24 guys to respond with a fire this weekend against the Flubs.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Bronson isn't necessarily a first or second half guy, but he's for the last five years running been a "one half" guy. It's pretty predictable. He does have value because of his durability and slightly above-average (and high number) innings.

I love what he's brought to this franchise. I wish it didn't take over $10 mil to do it, but that doesn't mean I appreciate him any less.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

He's not a "half guy" at all. He pitches well almost the entire year with the exception of about a month sometime in may-june, or about the time bats heat up real well. It's like clockwork sometime in mid may or later he just is brutal for about 5-6 starts.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    He's not a "half guy" at all. He pitches well almost the entire year with the exception of about a month sometime in may-june, or about the time bats heat up real well. It's like clockwork sometime in mid may or later he just is brutal for about 5-6 starts.
    Absolutely not true.

EDIT:

Here are the numbers (for quick reference, I did pre and post-all star ERA)

Pre AS - 5.38
    Post AS - 2.24

Pre AS - 5.97
    Post AS - 3.47

Pre AS - 4.84
    Post AS - 3.55

Pre AS - 3.12
    Post AS - 3.50

Pre AS - 4.02
    Post AS - 5.08

Those are some fairly drastic splits.
    Last edited by Brutus; 04-09-2010 at 08:36 PM.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I'd like to see the Reds try to extend Arroyo's contract right now. I truly believe he would sign below market value because loyalty and appreciation seem to have greater motivational lure than money to him.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

I've always felt like Arroyo has been underappreciated at RZ.

If Arroyo throws together a solid season, would it make sense to exercise the option, cut Harang loose, and shop one of the youngsters for a veteran bat to fill one of the holes?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    If Arroyo throws together a solid season, would it make sense to exercise the option, cut Harang loose, and shop one of the youngsters for a veteran bat to fill one of the holes?
    I think the biggest issue would be one of cost. The option is not cheap and even with trading Harang and getting a veteran bat, the financials would be similar. I think the Reds want to shave salary more than they want to spend.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I think the biggest issue would be one of cost. The option is not cheap and even with trading Harang and getting a veteran bat, the financials would be similar. I think the Reds want to shave salary more than they want to spend.
    If the team is headed in the right direction (solid progress being seen throughout the season), it might be difficult going into a season with a rotation of Homer, Chapman, Volquez, Cueto and Leake. If this team were to, for example, contend for a WC into late August with Arroyo pitching well, I'm not sure that they could take the risk of losing that momentum by going into 2011 with Homer and Cueto as the veterans of the pitching staff.

I was thinking to myself today.....I wonder if Arroyo would waive the option, and extend for something like 3 years at $7.5-9 million per.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    If the team is headed in the right direction (solid progress being seen throughout the season), it might be difficult going into a season with a rotation of Homer, Chapman, Volquez, Cueto and Leake. If this team were to, for example, contend for a WC into late August with Arroyo pitching well, I'm not sure that they could take the risk of losing that momentum by going into 2011 with Homer and Cueto as the veterans of the pitching staff.
    Hard to say. Financial resources are limited. What if Cueto and Bailey have knockout years? I can't see them ponying up big bucks if those guys make drastic improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    We know the story. His second half is always better than his 1st. He's a party guy. He'd rather play guitar and sing than play ball. At least that's how he is portrayed.
    Except by a few on this board, I don't think he's portrayed that way at all. Besides, he's stated publicly over and over and over that baseball is his career and comes first, and that singing is merely his hobby.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Absolutely not true.

EDIT:

Here are the numbers (for quick reference, I did pre and post-all star ERA)

Pre AS - 5.38
    Post AS - 2.24

Pre AS - 5.97
    Post AS - 3.47

Pre AS - 4.84
    Post AS - 3.55

Pre AS - 3.12
    Post AS - 3.50

Pre AS - 4.02
    Post AS - 5.08

Those are some fairly drastic splits.
    It absolutely is true. Go back and look at what he done prior to mid may in all those seasons and watch how his era blows up in that month, month and a half. Yes it appears his whole 1st half stunk but in reality he was fine until he ran into hot bats.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 04-09-2010 at 11:21 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?