Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it time to worry about the pen?

Is it time to worry about the pen?

I know it's early, but only one game so far this seson has the pen done its job. On Opening Day, it was horrid, and it's cost the Reds two more games beyond that little gem.

I know its early and sample size issues abound, but:

- Lincoln struggled mighily
    - Masset looked even worse
    - Cordero's not been exactly shut down
    - Ondrusek couldn't throw strikes
    - DRH failed against the Cardinals as a LOOGY
    - Rhodes gave up the lead on a Jeff Baker (!) dinger today

Only Micah Owings has had what any of us might call a good start to the season.

But there is hope.

In 1999, the pen stared bad. Really bad. They gave up four games out of five to start the season.

What say you, Reds' fans? Too early to tell or a trend?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is it time to worry about the pen?

Cordero, DRH, and Rhodes will be fine. I'm not exactly Masset to be as good as he was last year, but he should be fine enough. Not sold on Ondrusek yet, but he needs at least needs another chance. Lincoln needs to be gone yesterday. Overall, I don't think the pen will be one of our bigger problems.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

The bullpen has been a disaster, and so has the offense and defense. This team should be 3-2 or 4-1 at the moment instead of 2-3. But I'm more confident in the bullpen bouncing back than I am the offense waking up. This offense will be lucky to score 670 runs despite playing in a bandbox.

Nick Masset has looked much better in his last two outings. He's a huge key to the bullpen. Ondursek deserves another chance. He's got the stuff to be another solid reliever in the bullpen. Hopefully Rhodes can have another solid season, but it was disappointing to see him give up a HR to a AAAA player like Jeff Baker today. His stuff still appears to be there. He may not post an ERA as low as last season but he should still be a pretty dependable.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 04-10-2010 at 03:54 PM.

High five!

Is it time to worry about the pen?
    No.

On another (related) note, why do Masset (22.50 ERA before today) and Ondrusek (27.00 ERA) get free passes, while Lincoln gets skewered?

Age? Salary? Previous year's struggles?

No.

And if the pen, offense and defense have all been disastrs, how should this team be 4-1?

Middle relief perhaps, but Masset-Rhodes-Cordero will be fine.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    On another (related) note, why do Masset (22.50 ERA before today) and Ondrusek (27.00 ERA) get free passes, while Lincoln gets skewered?

Stuff

High five!

Based on 4 IP pitched between them?

Seriously?

Wow.

Are you saying Lincoln hasn't been roasted by many here on Redszone?

3% of the season gone so far, worrying should only involve injuries at juncture.

Too soon, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    No.
    I am struggling here, but, I guess I will have to agree with you.

High five!

Are you saying Lincoln hasn't been roasted by many here on Redszone?
    Well, let's see. "Many?" I don't know as I haven't really analyzed who said what about Mike Lincoln. "Roasted?" Again, I don't recall any Michael Scott "boom, roasted!" taglines to the end of a Mike Lincoln commentary so I can't really say one way or the other.

If Lincoln was "roasted," I'd say the last 24 innings he pitched for the Reds were "roast-worthy" because he's exhibited poor performance for an extended amount of time. Masset, was pretty darn good last year and Ondrusek is a rookie who deserved more than an inning look.

I don't see any need to "roast" Masset or Ondrusek (or, quite honestly, any player based on tiny sample sizes) as they have 4 IP between them and we're 5/162 through the season. I _really_ don't see any compelling reason to "roast" them only to somehow normalize the "roasting" of Mike Lincoln.

Now, who wants an orange whip?

It was time before the season started.

The relief staff was pretty lucky last year, and the Reds are hoping that they are just as lucky this year. Not a recipe for success.

The bullpen won't be '07 bad, but it won't be as good as it was last year. But I think with Fisher, Bray, Maloney, Del Rosario and others coming up, they should be decent enough. I just don't expect the group of guys in the Reds pen right now to be successful all season. And people will miss Stormy a lot more than they want to admit.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Turn Off Ads?