Turn Off Ads?
Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

Kneel before Zod Cant Touch This's Avatar

Re: Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I guess it's all relative. Back when I was playing out there regularly, it was probably the nicest course I played. Other than Hueston, I played Twin Run in Hamilton and occasionally Fairfield. Hueston seemed far superior to me then.
    Did you ever venture to Potter Park in Hamilton? Our secret treasure was Liberty Country Club in Indiana. It became semi-private and it was worth the drive from Oxford when we didn't want to battle Hueston Woods. That and Weatherwax, of course.
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Cant Touch This View Post
    Did you ever venture to Potter Park in Hamilton? Our secret treasure was Liberty Country Club in Indiana. It became semi-private and it was worth the drive from Oxford when we didn't want to battle Hueston Woods. That and Weatherwax, of course.
    Potters was the course we played when I first started playing when I was 12 or 13 (played about 6-7 times a summer until I was 16, then didn't play golf at all until I was in my early 20s). We spent many-a-day out there knocking it around. I have very fond memories of Potters, but didn't really ever play there as an adult. #9 at Potters was where we used to go sledding as well.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Shot a career best 90 today at Homestead Springs in Groveport (little south of CBus). Still am very inconsistent with my driver but I bought some new RBZ irons that I had made +.75" with regular flex and they have changed my game tremendously.

I am a lifer now.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye33 View Post
    Shot a career best 90 today at Homestead Springs in Groveport (little south of CBus). Still am very inconsistent with my driver but I bought some new RBZ irons that I had made +.75" with regular flex and they have changed my game tremendously.

I am a lifer now.
    Very cool. Happy to hear you're loving it.

I had a interesting/dubious first a couple weeks back. I had a top and a shank on the same hole. Cool, huh? Well, not so much. Actually, it sucked. I was playing Yankee Trace. I topped my tee shot on #9. The ball somehow bounced out of the hazard, but rolled into a hole about 75 yards from the tee. I hacked out a wedge from there. Missed the green right from 185 into a trap. I then preceded to shank my bunker shot onto the right fringe about 60 feet away from there. Great 2-putt for double! I ended up shooting an up and down 74.

Fortuantely, I followed with a 69 this past Monday and tied for 2nd. Much happier about that.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

I'm playing NCR on Thursday. Heaven help me that I don't shoot 108 playing with three others and their single-digit handicaps.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

I'm playing Shaker Run for the first time next Friday. I'm pretty excited to get out there as I have heard great things about that course.

As for my game, I continue to play the best golf of my life. I have broke 80 twice now, and had several other rounds under 85. Prior to this summer I had only broke 90 probably 5 times. I still have the occasional round in the mid 90's, but I'm getting so much better at identifying my swing flaws when that happens thanks to google and youtube. I switched from a blade putter to a mallet (Nike Method Core) and have since been making everything. I didn't think it would make much of a difference but I was wrong, my putting has never been this good.

I am beyond addicted to golf at this point. I'm dropping by the putting green before work, stopping at the range after work, and spend my evenings putting in my living room. My wife jokes that I'm cheating on her and rolls her eyes when I bust out the putter in the living room.
    Last edited by Redlegs23; 08-04-2012 at 08:23 AM.

Put up my personal best last Thursday. Shot a 69 at Western Hills with a bogey on the par 5 18th. I had never broken par there with my best rounds always ending around even or one over. I haven't played a competitive round of golf in about 10 years now and I now remember why I don't.

Played Shaker Run for the first time yesterday. We played the Lakeview and Woodlands courses. I enjoyed the layout, especially how there were several mature trees in strategic locations. It's a nice course, but it wasn't in the best of shape. The greens were all burnt out and rough. Course was sloppy wet from the rains and everything was plugging as well. Didn't get any bounce and roll off the fairways, every shot would plug or take a short hop. Obviously management couldn't help the wet conditions, but they could definitely improve the greens.

I didn't play very well, but my ball striking was decent. Just managed to hit a couple of bad shots that cost me big time, and caught a couple of bad breaks as well. Hit a couple of bunkers which were very wet and I'm not good out of wet sand. My putting was below average also. Shot a 45 on the front and back for a 90.

Had a good time out there, but as much as I have heard this course hyped I just expected the greens to be in a little better condition.

Kneel before Zod Cant Touch This's Avatar

Played Kendale at KCC earlier this week and stunk up the course like a stinky stink bomb stuck up a skunk's stinkhole. Weird part was I was hitting fairways off the tee, but my approach shots were consistently off target. I think I hit one, maybe two greens in regulation. The greens, which are normally slippery fast at Kenwood, were way slower than normal and I could never convince myself to strike a putt with enough force to get it there. I almost four putted #13.

My hi-lo range for the season is now 81-97. Ninety-bleepin'-seven. I need to get back out again ASAP to get that rotten taste out of my mouth.
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs23 View Post
    Played Shaker Run for the first time yesterday. We played the Lakeview and Woodlands courses. I enjoyed the layout, especially how there were several mature trees in strategic locations. It's a nice course, but it wasn't in the best of shape. The greens were all burnt out and rough. Course was sloppy wet from the rains and everything was plugging as well. Didn't get any bounce and roll off the fairways, every shot would plug or take a short hop. Obviously management couldn't help the wet conditions, but they could definitely improve the greens.

I didn't play very well, but my ball striking was decent. Just managed to hit a couple of bad shots that cost me big time, and caught a couple of bad breaks as well. Hit a couple of bunkers which were very wet and I'm not good out of wet sand. My putting was below average also. Shot a 45 on the front and back for a 90.

Had a good time out there, but as much as I have heard this course hyped I just expected the greens to be in a little better condition.
    They're almost always bad. They need to be redone. Beautiful setting, but definitely a highly overrated place.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Put up my personal best last Thursday. Shot a 69 at Western Hills with a bogey on the par 5 18th. I had never broken par there with my best rounds always ending around even or one over. I haven't played a competitive round of golf in about 10 years now and I now remember why I don't.
    How was it? My dad said a bunch of guys joined there when Deer Run stopped being a CC. He didn't go over because he's not physically able to play as much anymore, but according to him, WHCC was in trouble financially and may have gone under if those guys hadn't joined. Always liked that narrow, old course. You don't have to be long, but if you're straight, you can go low there. My brother caddied there back in the 70s.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    How was it? My dad said a bunch of guys joined there when Deer Run stopped being a CC. He didn't go over because he's not physically able to play as much anymore, but according to him, WHCC was in trouble financially and may have gone under if those guys hadn't joined. Always liked that narrow, old course. You don't have to be long, but if you're straight, you can go low there. My brother caddied there back in the 70s.
    It's still good. Beautiful place. I played there 11 days ago. I like the
    course a lot outside of #13, the redesigned hole. I have very fond memories of there. I won my first Cinci Met there and won a pro-am there last year shooting 65. Glad to hear those guys joined WHCC to help it out.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Course is in pretty decent shape. My biggest gripe never really changes with the course, slow greens. The greens keeper likes to keep the a little too hairy for my liking when the weather gets hot. A couple weeks ago was the club championship and the greens rolled fantastic.

I hadn't heard about any financial trouble there. In hindsight if they hadn't gotten all the members from Deer Run they would be in trouble. Nice old but short course. I probably need driver on one hole besides the par 5's. But I can hit one heck of a punch shot.

13 is an abomination of a golf hole. For my money may be one of the worst holes I have ever played.

I played Scioto yesterday, today, and again tomorrow. Lucky me. What an awesome place!

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    I played Scioto yesterday, today, and again tomorrow. Lucky me. What an awesome place!
    Awesome! The par 5 on the front with the somewhat island green (I wanna say it's number 8) is one of the coolest holes I've ever played. Not exactly sure why, but it was always one of my favorites. Probably a breeze for you to get on in 2 if I remember correctly.

Turn Off Ads?