Turn Off Ads?
Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

Re: Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Looks like they are banning the belly putter.

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/9...g-january-2016
    Should be interesting going forward for the pros. Do you plan on implementing this rule in your foursome? I'll surely give my buddies who use one a hard time but it's not going to hurt my feelings any or cause me to accuse anyone of cheating.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    Should be interesting going forward for the pros. Do you plan on implementing this rule in your foursome? I'll surely give my buddies who use one a hard time but it's not going to hurt my feelings any or cause me to accuse anyone of cheating.
    I follow the "play the ball where it lies" mantra so I think the ruling will be enforced in my foursome. One of guys I play with uses a long putter but he doesn't anchor it so I am guessing that is still legal.

Ok, since I last posted I've gotten addicted to golf again. I've now got some more technical questions. I want to lower my ball flight off the tee.

I hadn't ever had my swing speed tested until last week. I went to 2 different Golfsmith's and tried a couple different simulators at each store. What I felt was a normal swing was consistently in the mid 130s. I still don't think it's accurate.

I hit all of my clubs very high. Which for the most part I like. If the wind is at my back or there is no wind I hit high long tee shots but if the wind is in my face I get it way up in that and my ball completely dies.

My current shaft is an 'Ahina 72 x-stiff with a Titleist 910 D3 head I adjusted it down to 8.75 degree. I've spent hours at the range and I've never once hit a low trajectory tee shot with it.

I've heard that adding lead tape to the shaft will help weight down the shaft and could lower ball flight. But does anyone know where I should add it? I would think not on the head because that would make the shaft flex more and increase my loft. Would I want to add it near the balance point of the shaft? I've googled it and most people talk about adding tape to the head.

Appreciate any help
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

I guess spin is what I'm looking to reduce. I guess is it possible to increase the shaft weight without buying a new shaft? After some more reading I'm not sure it's possible.

Couple pics from Mamala Bay Golf Course here on base in Hawaii.

The marine course has even more incredible views, but I have a new phone so don't have any of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Ok, since I last posted I've gotten addicted to golf again. I've now got some more technical questions. I want to lower my ball flight off the tee.

I hadn't ever had my swing speed tested until last week. I went to 2 different Golfsmith's and tried a couple different simulators at each store. What I felt was a normal swing was consistently in the mid 130s. I still don't think it's accurate.

I hit all of my clubs very high. Which for the most part I like. If the wind is at my back or there is no wind I hit high long tee shots but if the wind is in my face I get it way up in that and my ball completely dies.

My current shaft is an 'Ahina 72 x-stiff with a Titleist 910 D3 head I adjusted it down to 8.75 degree. I've spent hours at the range and I've never once hit a low trajectory tee shot with it.

I've heard that adding lead tape to the shaft will help weight down the shaft and could lower ball flight. But does anyone know where I should add it? I would think not on the head because that would make the shaft flex more and increase my loft. Would I want to add it near the balance point of the shaft? I've googled it and most people talk about adding tape to the head.

Appreciate any help
    Its a curse!

From my perspective it could be a number of things. Do you have a high ball flight on all your clubs or just your driver? I am a high ball hitter, especially with my irons, but can somewhat control it with my driver. I am sure it has to do with the loft on my clubs as well as kickpoint (?) I think. I think that a high ball flight is a result of a steep downswing.

If its just your driver I would make sure that you have the ball positioned properly. If its too far forward you may be hitting it on the upswing causing a high flight. Also make sure that you aren't falling back when you hit the ball. If your falling back you are lofting the club at impact. That is all I have.

It is all my clubs. I didn't mind it when I played a lot in Indiana but in Texas there's never not a strong wind.

Appreciate any help
    How do you know it's TOO high? If you've got even close to that kind of swing speed....well, the first things I'd say is you're almost certainly swinging too hard..... then optimal trajectory is pretty high. Not sure if you've ever seen a professional hit balls, but most of them hit a pretty high ball with their driver. If it's not spinning, then it may be the right trajectory. If it's ballooning on you, then you may need a different shaft shaft, one that's a little more "tip stiff", which will reduce spin.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    How do you know it's TOO high? If you've got even close to that kind of swing speed....well, the first things I'd say is you're almost certainly swinging too hard..... then optimal trajectory is pretty high. Not sure if you've ever seen a professional hit balls, but most of them hit a pretty high ball with their driver. If it's not spinning, then it may be the right trajectory. If it's ballooning on you, then you may need a different shaft shaft, one that's a little more "tip stiff", which will reduce spin.
    I think it's too high because when I felt like I was trying to crush it I was hitting 152, 153. So I slowed down some and was consistently in the mid 140s. So I slowed down even more and that's when I was in the 130s. That's why I changed simulators a couple times and then even went to a different Golfsmith.

Since last night I've read that a lot of people are of the opinion that you can really only get accurate stats if you're using a launch monitor outside.

I'm very new at learning about different types of shafts. I've been told so many different things. I took a lesson with an old pro because it was cheap and his suggestion was to change my swing with the driver so it wasn't steep and try a flat swing. I really don't want to do that but I've considered it.

I think it's too high because when I felt like I was trying to crush it I was hitting 152, 153. So I slowed down some and was consistently in the mid 140s. So I slowed down even more and that's when I was in the 130s. That's why I changed simulators a couple times and then even went to a different Golfsmith.

Since last night I've read that a lot of people are of the opinion that you can really only get accurate stats if you're using a launch monitor outside.

I'm very new at learning about different types of shafts. I've been told so many different things. I took a lesson with an old pro because it was cheap and his suggestion was to change my swing with the driver so it wasn't steep and try a flat swing. I really don't want to do that but I've considered it.
    I meant how do you know your trajectory is too high? With that kind of swing speed (which you're right, it's probably not really 140 but it's safe to say it's high), you really need a high launching ball to get optimal distance.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I meant how do you know your trajectory is too high? With that kind of swing speed (which you're right, it's probably not really 140 but it's safe to say it's high), you really need a high launching ball to get optimal distance.
    Ah. Well just playing in the wind with other guys. Guys that I'm much longer than in wind neutral situations but they have a low trajectory and they're affected much less by wind in our face. If I've got a long par four or five with a head wind I'm dead.

Ah. Well just playing in the wind with other guys. Guys that I'm much longer than in wind neutral situations but they have a low trajectory and they're affected much less by wind in our face. If I've got a long par four or five with a head wind I'm dead.
    You're probably not that far off from where you should be. With your swing speed, it should be a high launch, but some people just have swings that naturally launch it a little higher (at least I think that's the case. Redhook can correct me if that's inaccurate). A low launch, low spin shaft will probably help you. I think the one you have is a "made for" one and not the genuine Diamana.

Obviously, the best way to go about this is to go to a good fitter and get hooked up on the launch monitor and have them measure launch angle and spin rate and try a bunch of different setups. But short of that, there are things you can try.

With that high a swing speed, some people have had success switching to a heavier shaft. I'm guessing yours is a 70g shaft (72 in the name). That's on the heavier side for driver shafts, but some manufacturers recommend 80 grams for swing speeds that high. Or you may need a higher "swingweight" (I'm not going to try to explain that here). Adding a bit of lead tape to the clubhead would accomplish that.

You can also have them "tip" the shaft, which is just fitter lingo for trimming more from the tip of the shaft and less from the butt than standard to get to the right overall length. This will will generally reduce spin, but can reduce feel for some players.

I used to be a real geek about this stuff and I have experimented with all kinds of setups. That's the benefit of doing all my own shafts. It's not hard to do and you can usually find high quality shafts used online. But I found a setup that works for me across all my clubs so I haven't kept close to it. But I recall the most popular low launch low spin shaft being the Diamana whiteboard. I think the Axivcore green and Proforce V2 red were also considered good quality shafts with this profile, and less expensive than the whiteboard.

Do you ever tee off with a fairway wood? How is your launch on that?

15. Likes:

Razor Shines (06-18-2013)

I need a new 3w. Mine was older and the head cracked sometime last year. I don't think I could really take much from how i used to hit that anyway. It was cheap and an R flex. I should probably spend a little money and get a good one.

I need a new 3w. Mine was older and the head cracked sometime last year. I don't think I could really take much from how i used to hit that anyway. It was cheap and an R flex. I should probably spend a little money and get a good one.
    I have a Calaway Diablo 3 wood that I absolutely love. It probably cost me $60 on ebay, I just can't remember how much I spent. I am a big fan of a strong 3 wood. One that I can hit off the tee when my driver isn't working and also one I can hit off the deck.

Hit your buddies and/or demo some. Then head to ebay to see if you can get one lightly used but half the cost. If it doesn't say Titleist you can find a deal.

18. Likes:

Razor Shines (06-18-2013)

Turn Off Ads?