Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

Re: Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    My dad is a member there, and I've probably played there about 40 times. Fun course. Good luck!
    Had a great time today. The weather was finally kind and my partner, Paul Hobart, and I played pretty well. We shot 67 in the morning Best Ball format. Not bad, 3 back of the lead. Then, we shot another 67 in the Alternate Shot format. 67 in that format is pretty strong. We ended up one back in 2nd place out of 40 teams.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    Had a great time today. The weather was finally kind and my partner, Paul Hobart, and I played pretty well. We shot 67 in the morning Best Ball format. Not bad, 3 back of the lead. Then, we shot another 67 in the Alternate Shot format. 67 in that format is pretty strong. We ended up one back in 2nd place out of 40 teams.
    Wow 67 in alternate shot is insane. Congrats on the great showing. #16 is my favorite hole there, as I always abuse that one for some reason. I've driven #15 once (from the one ups), which is a pretty crazy shot over the water, which I would never try in a real event. I miss playing that course.

Hook, I've been working on getting a higher position at the top of my swing, and this may sound weird, but I'm having trouble seeing the ball over my left shoulder as I make that big of a turn. Any quick tips for this?

Hook, I've been working on getting a higher position at the top of my swing, and this may sound weird, but I'm having trouble seeing the ball over my left shoulder as I make that big of a turn. Any quick tips for this?
    I just watched a bunch of your golf swings again. You definitely don't need a bigger shoulder turn. To me, it just looks like your right arm/wrist is collapsing a bit at the top. If anything, you actually need to feel like your making a shorter backswing. Your swing is similar to Steve Stricker's. If you watch him, his wrists are pretty quiet.

Ideally, at the top, your left arm will be relatively straight (yours is good), your left arm and club will form a 90 angle (your does), and your right arm will form a 90 angle (yours is about 60 degrees).

I gave you that drill where you take the club up with your right arm forming a 90 angle. There are two devices that I use to help out with this. One, is the David Leadbetter Swing Guide that hooks onto your club. This limits the wrist hinge to 90 degrees. The second device I use is (don't laugh) a floatie. Michael Breed uses them on his show. Go to Walmart, spend a couple of $$ and buy a floatie. Then, place the floatie over your right bicep and hit balls with it on. This will quiet the collapsing down and will make your swing wider/higher-looking at the top. Of the two, I'd recommend the floatie - cheaper and more effective.

Let me know what you think. Good luck!
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

I just watched a bunch of your golf swings again. You definitely don't need a bigger shoulder turn. To me, it just looks like your right arm/wrist is collapsing a bit at the top. If anything, you actually need to feel like your making a shorter backswing. Your swing is similar to Steve Stricker's. If you watch him, his wrists are pretty quiet.

Ideally, at the top, your left arm will be relatively straight (yours is good), your left arm and club will form a 90 angle (your does), and your right arm will form a 90 angle (yours is about 60 degrees).

I gave you that drill where you take the club up with your right arm forming a 90 angle. There are two devices that I use to help out with this. One, is the David Leadbetter Swing Guide that hooks onto your club. This limits the wrist hinge to 90 degrees. The second device I use is (don't laugh) a floatie. Michael Breed uses them on his show. Go to Walmart, spend a couple of $$ and buy a floatie. Then, place the floatie over your right bicep and hit balls with it on. This will quiet the collapsing down and will make your swing wider/higher-looking at the top. Of the two, I'd recommend the floatie - cheaper and more effective.

Let me know what you think. Good luck!
    Awesome. Problem is, I don't think they make a floatie that would fit over my ridiculously huge biceps .

Thanks again man!

Awesome. Problem is, I don't think they make a floatie that would fit over my ridiculously huge biceps .

Thanks again man!
    Funny, I suffer from the same problem.

Glad to help.

Leaving in about 36 hours for California. Playing at Bayonette on Thursday, Quail Lodge on Friday morning, Pasatiempo Friday afternoon, (somewhere) on Saturday morning and.......

Pebble Beach on Saturday afternoon.

I'm going to have no money by the end of this, and I don't know how I'm going to sleep in the next 72 hours, but I can't wait.

Leaving in about 36 hours for California. Playing at Bayonette on Thursday, Quail Lodge on Friday morning, Pasatiempo Friday afternoon, (somewhere) on Saturday morning and.......

Pebble Beach on Saturday afternoon.

I'm going to have no money by the end of this, and I don't know how I'm going to sleep in the next 72 hours, but I can't wait.
    That's awesome, have fun. I'm jealous. Monterrey/Carmel is an amazing place. My favorite by far.

On your way to Pebble, try to get some pics of Cypress Point. It's tough to get to the #15 tee, but if you can, you'll see the coolest 2 golf holes in the world.

Also, if you can, get down to Big Sur and eat at Nepenthe. It's an outside restaurant that sits 800 feet above the ocean. Decent view.

That's awesome, have fun. I'm jealous. Monterrey/Carmel is an amazing place. My favorite by far.

On your way to Pebble, try to get some pics of Cypress Point. It's tough to get to the #15 tee, but if you can, you'll see the coolest 2 golf holes in the world.

Also, if you can, get down to Big Sur and eat at Nepenthe. It's an outside restaurant that sits 800 feet above the ocean. Decent view.
    Shot 84 at Pebble. 39 on the front, but it got cold and very windy on the back, and I blew up with a 45. Parred #18 in the complete dark, which I thought was pretty cool.

Started out Par-Birdie-Par, but the wheels came off along the ocean. I tried to go for #6 in two from the far right side and hit it into the cove, but somehow made par. Hit a great shot on #7 but it carried too long, and 3 putted bogey. Stuck a 5 iron from 195 to 8 feet on number 11, but gagged the birdie putt. #9 and #10 played dead into the wind, and I've never played harder back to back holes. Hit my 2nd shot in the cove on #9 but still saved bogey, and I somehow got up and down for par on #10. Hit it OB on #12 and #13, and the route was on. I cut the dog leg on 14 and had 230 into the green (tees were playing at 572 yards), but the pin was in the Sunday position, and I ended up making bogey. That hole is not really fair.

Other courses we ended up playing included TPC Stonebrae in Hayward, and Carmel Valley Ranch, along with Allister Mackenzie's Pasatiempo. Pasatiempo was an awesome, awesome course.

We went in the clubhouse at Cypress, but it was a member's only weekend, so we got promptly (and kindly) kicked out.

Blast of a trip. Will try and post a picture or two from Pebble here shortly.

The last one was as close as I could get to Cypress, Hook.

That's awesome Homer. Great pics! Glad you had a good time.

I can't believe you actually got into the clubhouse, albeit briefly, at Cypress. Pretty funny. I'll try to dig up the picture of #15 and #16 I took when I was there. There's a cart path about 50 yards from your picture that I ran down that went to the 15th tee.
    Last edited by Redhook; 05-18-2011 at 07:29 AM.

Hook, have you ever played Dubsdread? I'm scheduled to play 36 there on Monday. Looking forward to it. 7,500 yards from the tips!

Hook, have you ever played Dubsdread? I'm scheduled to play 36 there on Monday. Looking forward to it. 7,500 yards from the tips!
    Cog Hill #4? Yes, I have. It's brutally hard from the tips. The par 3's average like 220 or so. Par 5's like 580. When I played it, everything was plugging. I was hitting 3 and 4 irons into every hole. It was too hole. Good luck!

The course, overall, is ok. It's long, but it's nothing special. It certainly doesn't have the wow factor, but there's nothing bad about it either.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I've been concentrating, lately, on keeping my back elbow closer to my body (I noticed when I filmed my swing that it was flying pretty far away), and it seems like it's just thrown off every other aspect. I need to spend more time at the range this weekend and see if I can find some consistency with the changes.

Also, on a more annoying note, the head of my PW came flying off this week during a round. The club is being re-shafted now, but I'm without my most-used club until Saturday / Sunday. Plus, it'll come back looking like a garage-sale piece with some cheesy after-market grip.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I've been concentrating, lately, on keeping my back elbow closer to my body (I noticed when I filmed my swing that it was flying pretty far away), and it seems like it's just thrown off every other aspect.
    This is a good change. It will help eliminate the low pulls to the left and high slices to the right. "Hands-in" (or "elbow") is an easy swing thought that allows the club to swing properly instead of outside-to-in. Keep it up!

Turn Off Ads?