Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

Re: Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

Quote Originally Posted by mash3024 View Post
    Has anyone ever played Elks Run GC? I'm playing there in an outing on Saturday.
    Elks Run is ok at best, usually in good shape, but it's no Stonelick Hills in terms of a layout. I'm not a fan of the place.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    I have done something amazing and lucky though too. I doubt this has happened much in the history of golf. Playing at Stonelick Hills GC in Batavia for the first time (fantastic course btw) a few years ago, I hit a 3-wood to 2 feet, then made the putt for an eagle 3. A few months later, playing the same hole for only the second time in my life, I holed a 5-iron for a double eagle. Eagle, double eagle the first two times I played the hole. Pretty amazing. Next time around, if you were wondering, I only birdied it...lol. I love that hole.
    I have been close to a double eagle but no cigar. Playing 8 at Vineyards I believe in a junior tournament I had around 250 into the green. The group ahead of us was still on the green buts its the old adage that if I hit the green it will have to role one so no big deal. I nutted my 3 wood dead at the pin. I remember thinking to myself thats one heck of a shot. I hurried up to the green to apoligize for hitting into the group ahead and was greeted by "thats one heck of a shot". It was literally a couple of inches away from going in, dead short. It was one of those where you group has you hole out before they even start to putt.

Stonelick Hills is the best public course in Cincy, IMO. It's awesome!

I actually like Elks Run more than RH, but it's mostly because it's a great setting for a course. The layout is not that memorable with the exception of a few holes. It used to be in great shape most of the time, but I played it over Labor Day weekend and it's pretty brutal. Greens are OK, but the rest of the course is beat up pretty bad from the summer conditions and lack of money. I couldn't believe just how bad it was. Fairways and tee boxes are awful.

BTW, if you can get paired up at Stonelick with someone who has played there before it will make a big difference. One of my biggest takeaways from the one time I played there is that course knowledge is really important there more than most places. Lots of things you just won't know until after you've played a hole.
    Last edited by MWM; 09-16-2010 at 12:45 PM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Shot a 73 today. 6 birdies, and a triple bogey. Bladed a wedge over the green from 105, landed beside a 10 foot gator.

I decided to take a drop.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

You could have gone on like the priest in Caddyshack and pray that the alligator already had eaten.

Does anyone in here play the Titleist AP2 irons? I've been playing the Titleist DCI 981s for about 10 years now and am thinking about an upgrade and have read good things about the AP2. I don't have a problem buying other manufacturers for Drivers/Woods/Hybrids but I think I'd like to stick with Titleist for my irons/wedges. Thanks for any input!

Quote Originally Posted by mash3024 View Post
    Does anyone in here play the Titleist AP2 irons? I've been playing the Titleist DCI 981s for about 10 years now and am thinking about an upgrade and have read good things about the AP2. I don't have a problem buying other manufacturers for Drivers/Woods/Hybrids but I think I'd like to stick with Titleist for my irons/wedges. Thanks for any input!
    I don't play them, but I've hit them and sold a few sets at my course. Very good club. If you're used to Titleist and like Titleist, you might as well stick with them.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Played Scioto Country Club today. Wow. 2nd time I've played it, but that was 12 years ago. What an amazing golf course! I loved every second of my 5 and a half hour round.

Played Scioto Country Club today. Wow. 2nd time I've played it, but that was 12 years ago. What an amazing golf course! I loved every second of my 5 and a half hour round.
    Good lord that is a long round.

Played that course back in high school against Upper Arlington. Our first match got rained out after a handful of holes and got rescheduled for later on in the golf season. I believe it was in between sectionals and districts. I am a quick golfer and my coach sent me and another quick golfer out in the first group. The guys in our group thought we would get 11 holes in. We told them you can stop there but we are getting in 18. We did get in 18 in probably around 3 hours.

Last time I spent five hours on a round was with my mom and her friends. I lover her to death, but playing golf with her and the gals is like death by a thousand cuts.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Good lord that is a long round.
    Darn skippy!

I can play 18 in an hour and 20 minutes with a cart by myself. Yesterday, however, this was certainly not the case. Scioto was very, very difficult yesterday. The greens were firm and very fast. The pin placements were Sunday specials. The wind was kicking around 20 all day and it was cool. In a nutshell, it was playing about as hard as it could play. Plus, we were playing in 4-somes, 2 pros and 2 ams.

Just to give you an idea at how difficult it was. I shot 73, 2 over, and came in 2nd out of 62 pros (BTW, Bob Sowards, PGA Tour '08, shot 68 to win by 5. Not bad.). There was another 73, then 76 was the next score. 5 over tied for 4th! That never happens. Tons of scores in the 90's too. This is why it took so long. It was ridiculously difficult.

Lots of golfers put the clubs up around this time of the year. IMO, this is far and away the best time to play. Temp in the 60's and 70's. Empty golf courses. Great conditions. And, discount rates a plenty. Keep the clubs active and hit the links this fall.

Darn skippy!

I can play 18 in an hour and 20 minutes with a cart by myself. Yesterday, however, this was certainly not the case. Scioto was very, very difficult yesterday. The greens were firm and very fast. The pin placements were Sunday specials. The wind was kicking around 20 all day and it was cool. In a nutshell, it was playing about as hard as it could play. Plus, we were playing in 4-somes, 2 pros and 2 ams.

Just to give you an idea at how difficult it was. I shot 73, 2 over, and came in 2nd out of 62 pros (BTW, Bob Sowards, PGA Tour '08, shot 68 to win by 5. Not bad.). There was another 73, then 76 was the next score. 5 over tied for 4th! That never happens. Tons of scores in the 90's too. This is why it took so long. It was ridiculously difficult.
    Sowards is just always there at the top of the leaderboard. He's had a pretty good run.

Scioto is an awesome course. Easily in my top 5 courses I've ever played along with Muirfield, Riviera (in LA, not Dublin, lol), Sawgrass (Ok, I'm playing it next month), and the Pete Dye Golf in WV.

Lots of golfers put the clubs up around this time of the year. IMO, this is far and away the best time to play. Temp in the 60's and 70's. Empty golf courses. Great conditions. And, discount rates a plenty. Keep the clubs active and hit the links this fall.
    I actually think these conditions are about as tough as they get. The courses can play firmer and faster because of the cooling temps. The greens normally are cut quicker (unless they are plugged) and the wind is always howling.

The one problem I have is I work 730-5 so I can only get in 9 after work. And I like to play in the mornings which can be a little cold if you ask me. I have played enough golf in my life battling awful conditions I don't like to do that anymore. Oh and my game normally sucks when I don't hit the course on a regular basis. Now if it came down to playing a nice course thats a different story. But I do agree that the conditions and play can be fantastic this time of year. The Cincy golf season runs from Memorial day to Labor day.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Best place to buy used equipment is callawaypreowned.com. Another good one is 3balls.com. Ebay can get some good deals, but you always have to be careful for counterfeits.
    Thanks for the reference on this again. I got a Cleveland Driver for $69...fitted perfectly. There was a used one at Golfsmith for $199.

I'm lovin it.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Turn Off Ads?