Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

Re: Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

YouTube - Range 2/20 wedge

YouTube - Range 2/20

Here's a few clips from the range the other night. My first few times watching, I liked what I saw, path wise. I uploaded it onto my V1 Golf app and slowed it down to break it down, and realized my club position at the top is even worse. I think the takeaway looks a little bit better, but is there something I can do help me get the clubface square at the top? A grip adjustment perhaps? I know it's not going to happen overnight, but I would at least start seeing some progress.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    YouTube - Range 2/20 wedge

YouTube - Range 2/20

Here's a few clips from the range the other night. My first few times watching, I liked what I saw, path wise. I uploaded it onto my V1 Golf app and slowed it down to break it down, and realized my club position at the top is even worse. I think the takeaway looks a little bit better, but is there something I can do help me get the clubface square at the top? A grip adjustment perhaps? I know it's not going to happen overnight, but I would at least start seeing some progress.
    Dustin Johnson's club face is dead-shut at the top. He hits in 9 miles so maybe you should embrace it????

Looking at this video, your clubface isn't that bad. It doesn't match the back of your left wrist or left forearm, but it's not in terrible position either. Lots of players are in this position at the top. The only downside is, it can bring in the low hooks.

I honestly can't tell if you're grip is an issue from these videos. Bad angle and too far away.

If you really want to get the clubface more 'square', work on cupping your left wrist more. This isn't that easy to do. You may feel like you're hitting a flopshot on your backswing. The more you cup your wrist (yours is flat), the more the clubface will hang toe down at the top. A different way of saying the same thing is, try to get your thumbs directly under the shaft at the top. The more under they are, the more open the clubface will be.

All that being said, your swing is really good. Try not to be obsessed with the small imperfections of the backswing. Thinking about them while hitting the ball rarely leads to good results. You seem to really want to get them in good position so I'm offering my advice, but more importantly, don't worry too much about it.

Here's what I'd recommend: the next time you go to the range or swing at home, continue to work on hinging the clubhead up a little more, sooner. The more you do this, the more it'll be open, etc. etc. In your video, like you said, the path is better and the clubface is higher, but not high enough (when the club is parallel to your toe line). Keep working on this for another week or so. By then, you'll be about 80% of the way there which is perfectly fine. Gradually, over the spring and summer, you'll get it to where its comfortable and really good.

After one more session of hitting balls, let me know how it goes. I'm guessing it'll go ok, not good, not bad. Working on the backswing rarely leads to immediate results. When I give a lesson in person, I always work on the downswing/impact because this gets results much sooner.

After that session, I'll give you a tip/drill to work on that'll really help you.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

So, I'm getting back into golf shape and trying to refine my game and improve a little bit this year. I like my ball striking, and I feel like my swing tempo and form are in fantastic shape. The only problem I seem to have is with my address -- I feel like I'm a different distance away from the ball every time I set up. I stand where it feels "natural," and then adjust until it feels right, but that's not any kind of exact science.

If anyone know any good tips to consistently address the ball properly, I'd be appreciative.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post

If anyone know any good tips to consistently address the ball properly, I'd be appreciative.
    This may sound redundant, but you have to develop a consistent routine. Watch the pros and you'll see them doing the same things on each shot.
    Of course, it goes without saying that routine needs to line you up properly- my own habit is to find something about five feet from the ball in line with the target and make sure to line my stance up parallel to that line. But I also do the same thing on every shot, in terms of the sequence of events it takes to get to the swing. By putting that stuff on auto pilot, I can focus on seeing the shot and making it happen (as best I can, naturally). As for how far you are away from the ball, I have a place where my hands should be for my swing at a solid, relaxed and athletic stance. How far I am away from the ball is determined by that place and the club length. To get there, I place the club at the ball, which helps determine my correct position. Obviously, that place is farther away with a driver than it is for a wedge...
    Last edited by SunDeck; 04-11-2011 at 11:19 AM.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    This may sound redundant, but you have to develop a consistent routine. Watch the pros and you'll see them doing the same things on each shot.
    Of course, it goes without saying that routine needs to line you up properly- my own habit is to find something about five feet from the ball in line with the target and make sure to line my stance up parallel to that line. But I also do the same thing on every shot, in terms of the sequence of events it takes to get to the swing. By putting that stuff on auto pilot, I can focus on seeing the shot and making it happen (as best I can, naturally). As for how far you are away from the ball, I have a place where my hands should be for my swing at a solid, relaxed and athletic stance. How far I am away from the ball is determined by that place and the club length.
    Exactly.

The way I do it is I line up every shot from behind my ball. I first start with one practice swing, then I find the spot where I am aiming, then address the ball and go. If I get distracted by noise of a bug I repeat the process. I will practice swing other times while waiting and such, but once I begin to address I am one swing then go.

On the green I line up each put from behind the ball, address the ball, one practice put, pick my spot and then go. I do practice my stroke quite a bit more while standing behind my ball waiting, but only once when I address the ball. If I have a bad practice stroke I will step away and then begin my address again.

The only area where I don't follow that routine is when I am chipping. Often I address the ball and take several practice swings. Some of the time its looking down and others its looking at the hole trying to visualize what shot I am going to hit. When I finally decide on the shot to take and like my practice swing I go.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    So, I'm getting back into golf shape and trying to refine my game and improve a little bit this year. I like my ball striking, and I feel like my swing tempo and form are in fantastic shape. The only problem I seem to have is with my address -- I feel like I'm a different distance away from the ball every time I set up. I stand where it feels "natural," and then adjust until it feels right, but that's not any kind of exact science.

Only advice I have is just to make sure you feel comfortable over a ball before you hit it. If you feel uncomfortable, back away, take a look at the shot, regrip, and try to feel more comfortable. You'll never hit a good shot if you don't feel good over the ball.

Played 36 holes last week, and fired 77-77 in the cold and the wind without making a putt all day. I feel pretty good about the tips you gave me, Hook. Not sure if they show up in the video, but my swing feels a lot better, and I'm hitting the ball way straighter. I've seemingly lost a little bit of power, but I'm ok with that for now. Still a bit shut at the top, but the club face is close to matching my wrist angle, so I'm not going to pick it apart. Here's a shot with the slow mo camera from Saturday, a pitching wedge that I hit to about 10 feet on an easy par 3.

YouTube - Chris 4 10 11 1

I'm playing NCR in two weeks. And before today, I hadn't held a club since November. Having agreed to play such a demanding course, I've not been this motivated to improve my game since I played competitively in high school.

On the range today, I discovered that the grip in my left hand was all kinds of wrong and promoting a severe over-the-top action and a nasty pull. After going back to basics and returning to a neutral grip, I started making good contact and hitting my aiming points consistently. I found some lost power too (probably also due to the poor grip). I was down to around 270 with my driver last year instead of my usual 290 with a slight power fade. I'm playing my first round tomorrow with my boss and some other co-workers.

Realistically, I'll be thrilled if I can break 90 at NCR.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Just watched Kevin Na make a 16 on a par 4 today. Hilarious. Impressive 80 considering.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    I'm playing NCR in two weeks. And before today, I hadn't held a club since November. Having agreed to play such a demanding course, I've not been this motivated to improve my game since I played competitively in high school.

On the range today, I discovered that the grip in my left hand was all kinds of wrong and promoting a severe over-the-top action and a nasty pull. After going back to basics and returning to a neutral grip, I started making good contact and hitting my aiming points consistently. I found some lost power too (probably also due to the poor grip). I was down to around 270 with my driver last year instead of my usual 290 with a slight power fade. I'm playing my first round tomorrow with my boss and some other co-workers.

Realistically, I'll be thrilled if I can break 90 at NCR.
    NCR is awesome. It's so great and challenging at the same time. Easily one of the most difficult courses in Ohio. Good luck and have fun!

Homer, your setup is money. So much better. You're hinging the club up sooner, which is better, but the club is still getting a little behind your hands on the way back. Not the end of the world, but you have to make up for it later.

I wouldn't worry about the closed clubface at the top. Right now, you couldn't play with a square face - it'd go miles right.

What'd I'd recommend right now is trying to add some width on your backswing. You're arms are collapsing a bit which decreases power and will lead to some inconsistency.

Try this: Grip the club with your right arm only. Swing the club to the top creating a 90 degree angle with your right arm. Hold it there. Then, reach up with your left arm. You should feel a little stretch in your left tricep/shoulder area. The top of your backswing you feel a little more like this. Right now, your hands/arms are way to close to your body at the top. No width = no power. Get your hands far away from your head at the top.

Simple swing thought that may help: "High and wide at the top"

Good luck and keep it simple. You're swing is very good so don't beat yourself up over minor issues.

First round of the year in the books. Not bad considering it was my first round. I always forget how much the golf club tears up my hand when I first start playing. Overall may game was pretty good considering I hit balls already a few times this year. But good lord my wrist are lost when it comes to chipping. I bladed 3 chips clear across the green yesterday because my wrist weren't on the same page with my mind and swing.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    Homer, your setup is money. So much better. You're hinging the club up sooner, which is better, but the club is still getting a little behind your hands on the way back. Not the end of the world, but you have to make up for it later.

I wouldn't worry about the closed clubface at the top. Right now, you couldn't play with a square face - it'd go miles right.

What'd I'd recommend right now is trying to add some width on your backswing. You're arms are collapsing a bit which decreases power and will lead to some inconsistency.

Try this: Grip the club with your right arm only. Swing the club to the top creating a 90 degree angle with your right arm. Hold it there. Then, reach up with your left arm. You should feel a little stretch in your left tricep/shoulder area. The top of your backswing you feel a little more like this. Right now, your hands/arms are way to close to your body at the top. No width = no power. Get your hands far away from your head at the top.

Simple swing thought that may help: "High and wide at the top"

Good luck and keep it simple. You're swing is very good so don't beat yourself up over minor issues.
    I was hesitant to change anything between rounds since I've been hitting it well, but my swing off the tee went awry on the back 9 today, so I thought about what you said about the left arm extension on #18, and all I have to say is.... WOW. I hit my drive 337 yards (downwind downhill) with a perfect draw right down the center of the fairway. The power is back. We played 2 extra holes, and I knocked it on a 560 yard par 5 with a 3 iron (downwind, downhill). Can't thank you enough for the tips man.

Also, my buddy made a 2 on that 560 yard par 5 during our actual round. Holed out from 240 yards with a five wood to shoot 37 on the front. I wouldn't have believed it myself if I hadn't seen it. I'm ready for a warm weather golf day. All 3 rounds played this year with under armour on.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I was hesitant to change anything between rounds since I've been hitting it well, but my swing off the tee went awry on the back 9 today, so I thought about what you said about the left arm extension on #18, and all I have to say is.... WOW. I hit my drive 337 yards (downwind downhill) with a perfect draw right down the center of the fairway. The power is back. We played 2 extra holes, and I knocked it on a 560 yard par 5 with a 3 iron (downwind, downhill). Can't thank you enough for the tips man.

Also, my buddy made a 2 on that 560 yard par 5 during our actual round. Holed out from 240 yards with a five wood to shoot 37 on the front. I wouldn't have believed it myself if I hadn't seen it. I'm ready for a warm weather golf day. All 3 rounds played this year with under armour on.
    That's great to hear. I'm glad you're playing well.

Double-eagle's are amazing. Glad you got to witness one.

I'm about to head to Columbus to play 36 at The Lakes in a Pro-Pro event. Hopefully, the weather will be kind to us. We've were rained out the last 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    That's great to hear. I'm glad you're playing well.

Double-eagle's are amazing. Glad you got to witness one.

I'm about to head to Columbus to play 36 at The Lakes in a Pro-Pro event. Hopefully, the weather will be kind to us. We've were rained out the last 2 weeks.
    My dad is a member there, and I've probably played there about 40 times. Fun course. Good luck!

Turn Off Ads?