Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

Re: Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

Didn't know this thread existed until just now...

Been playing very infrequently this year, but played 27 holes last Tuesday. Hacked up an awful 86 on the first 18, and bogied the first 5 holes on the final 9. Finished eagle, birdie, par, birdie, and I think I've finally got my game back. Shot 76 yesterday and left a LOT of shots out there. Had a chip hit the stick and pop out on 16, and missed a 2 foot par putt on 15.

I'm still battling a block with my driver. I used to have a nice draw on my drives that started right side and faded back towards the center. Instead, it's starting too far right and not coming back at all. Can't figure it out for the life of me. When I really try to draw one, I'm snapping off hooks. I'm near scratch (when I used to play a lot), and never had a lesson, but I could use one simple swing thought to stop blocking the ball if anyones got one. I'm thinking about strengthening my grip a bit, but I'm afraid I will lose some power from my wrists.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Didn't know this thread existed until just now...

Been playing very infrequently this year, but played 27 holes last Tuesday. Hacked up an awful 86 on the first 18, and bogied the first 5 holes on the final 9. Finished eagle, birdie, par, birdie, and I think I've finally got my game back. Shot 76 yesterday and left a LOT of shots out there. Had a chip hit the stick and pop out on 16, and missed a 2 foot par putt on 15.

I'm still battling a block with my driver. I used to have a nice draw on my drives that started right side and faded back towards the center. Instead, it's starting too far right and not coming back at all. Can't figure it out for the life of me. When I really try to draw one, I'm snapping off hooks. I'm near scratch (when I used to play a lot), and never had a lesson, but I could use one simple swing thought to stop blocking the ball if anyones got one. I'm thinking about strengthening my grip a bit, but I'm afraid I will lose some power from my wrists.
    In reference to the block, is it fading any more after you hit it or it staying on that right line? What it sounds like is you aren't fully completing you swing and leaving your hands behind the ball. This will cause the ball to start out right and stay on that path. Then when you try to overcompensate for the block you are bring everything through too quickly causing a quick hook.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Thanks for bumping this thread.

Shot a 58 last night on 9 holes at this course:
    http://www.thornapplegolf.com/

I think I had four bogeys... and four holes in which I shot 8 on the hole. Frustrating, but still love the game. I'm just learning the game and going to love reading everyone's stories. Right now, I'm having a lot of trouble off the tees believe it or not. Putting is the most solid aspect of my game, with iron play somewhere in between.

I'm committing the following fouls on a lot of swings:
    -wrapping the club
    -pulling my head off the ball
    -drifting and shifting my weight back too far on my back leg
    -swinging too hard
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    I'm committing the following fouls on a lot of swings:
    -wrapping the club
    -pulling my head off the ball
    -drifting and shifting my weight back too far on my back leg
    -swinging too hard
    Welcome to golf. It seems as if there are always a number of things wrong with your golf swing.

FWIW there is a theory out there, more so with young golfers learning the game, that when you first start playing you want to swing hard. Swing as hard as you can when you first start playing then as you being to play more and more start to tone that back. I think its much easier to tone a wild swing down than it is to try and add distance to a player who has more of a finesse swing.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    In reference to the block, is it fading any more after you hit it or it staying on that right line? What it sounds like is you aren't fully completing you swing and leaving your hands behind the ball. This will cause the ball to start out right and stay on that path. Then when you try to overcompensate for the block you are bring everything through too quickly causing a quick hook.
    There's no fade to it. It just starts right and stays. Like I said, typically I get that ball to draw back towards the center, and I keep hitting it and expecting it to come back, but it just never does.

You may be right. I might just be getting stuck and releasing my hips too quick. Playing tonight so we shall see.

So I was playing the other night on a nice muni course in Indianapolis. I was on the 17th hole in the right to the rough. Between me and the green is about 150 yards worth of trees, not too tall though so I figure why not and try to sky an 8 iron over them. Instead I push the ball right and instead of a nice high arch, I've hit a line drive that would have skipped over the green.

The good news is that the ball hits the tee area on an adjacent hole (no one was playing) skips across a cart path, bounces off the wooden wall, and right onto my green.

I make two putts for par and will make sure to go to mass this sunday to make sure my luck continues
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Played yesterday, and made a par on a par 4 with the following clubs (in this order).

Driver
    7 iron
    Putter
    Gap Wedge

Yeah, think that one over.

There's no fade to it. It just starts right and stays. Like I said, typically I get that ball to draw back towards the center, and I keep hitting it and expecting it to come back, but it just never does.

You may be right. I might just be getting stuck and releasing my hips too quick. Playing tonight so we shall see.
    I have a draw swing with the driver, too. I block once in a while and cure it by slowing everything down, concentrating on a full turn, with my hands extended. The key for me is a big, wide and somewhat flat turn. I also check the ball position, which I have found tends to creep towards my front foot on the tee box. For me a block seems to stem from getting away from my normal routine, which often causes me to speed things up too much. My hips fly out and my hands drag behind.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I have a draw swing with the driver, too. I block once in a while and cure it by slowing everything down, concentrating on a full turn, with my hands extended. The key for me is a big, wide and somewhat flat turn. I also check the ball position, which I have found tends to creep towards my front foot on the tee box. For me a block seems to stem from getting away from my normal routine, which often causes me to speed things up too much. My hips fly out and my hands drag behind.
    Thanks. Some good swing thoughts in there.

Are you saying the further up in your stance you move it, the more likely you are to block it? I would think it would be the other way around, but maybe that's my problem.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Played yesterday, and made a par on a par 4 with the following clubs (in this order).

Driver
    7 iron
    Putter
    Gap Wedge

My favorite kind of par/bogey -- put runs off the green and chip in for the save.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Driver
    7 iron
    Putter
    Gap Wedge

I can honestly say I can't ever remember making a par that way. Although if I put the ball off the green onto the fringe I often still use my putter.

I do enjoy chip ins for pars and birdies. If your playing a "competitive" match they irritate your opponent.

Ah, I figured you all would (wrongly) assume I putted it off the green!

Haha, I was actually under a tree near the green, and only had my lob and gap wedges on me, and didn't want to go back to the cart, so I putted it through the rough up near the green, then chipped it in. Standard par!

h

Are you saying the further up in your stance you move it, the more likely you are to block it? I would think it would be the other way around, but maybe that's my problem.
    You're initial thought is correct, for the most part. If everything stayed the same with your body, moving the ball up would decrease your chances of a block as the club will be rotating back around you to the inside. However, when the ball is too far up in one's stance, there can/will be an increased chance of a slide into the ball. A slide is when the hips lead too much. A slide definitely would cause a block to the right.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Oh boys. I shot a 64 in 9 holes tonight on a front 9 with no water. I was terrible in every phase of the game and I've been working on my game. Unbelievable. Still fun to me though.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Turn Off Ads?