Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

Beautiful day for golf here in Cincinnati. I walked the back 9 at Lunken while listening to the Reds game on my phone (MLB At Bat FTW).

I've made a few adjustments to my grip this year, and it's really paid some early dividends. It's now been 27 holes since I lost a golf ball, which is amazing for me (and somewhat disappointing, considering that the ball I've been playing is a crap $5 clearance ball from Wal-Mart), and I'm noticing that I've been a lot more consistent with my iron shots.

Anyway, I know there's quite a few golfers on here. Post away with frustrating tidbits about your rounds, courses you've played and want to recommend as being in good shape, club / ball tips, and anything else.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

I haven't played all week, but I'm been at the course, Sharon Woods, every day. It's beautiful out there right now. The course is in as good as shape as I've ever seen. I just wish I had more time so I could play it.

I finally get to play tomorrow and Monday. Tomorrow at Eagle's Nest. I've never played there. Monday, I'm in a tourney at Maketewah, which is usually in awesome shape.

As far as ball tips, I'd recommend anything that says Soft or Tour. Drop the ego and get a ball that will feel better on and around the green. The Distance balls will only go a few yards farther and they feel like rocks around the green.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Ive been golfing four or five days a week for the past six months, and have shaved 25 strokes off my game. Shot my best games ever last week shooting a 89,88,85. I am really starting to love the game. I am at the golf course so much, they don't even charge me anymore. I also golf with the course pros a couple times a week also. (They like my contributions to the skins game.) Last week I golfed with this kid (17) named Eric, (forgot his last name) who shot a 61 on this course.Tough course too.. Asian kid, has a full ride scolly to Arizona next year. I suspect we will be hearing from this kid in the future.

I played my first round today at my hometown course. Considering I've only been to the range once this year, I'm pretty pleased with the way I'm striking the ball and hit 7 greens on the back. My putting and short game is dreadful though. Just dreadful.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

I'm a pretty solid iron hitter but my short game blows chunks.

I'm sort of in the rut of play often enough to always shoot around 100, not often enough to be able to consistently do anything that will improve my score.

I know I need lessons, but if I have time for lessons I'm usually playing with friends of mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

I started golfing five years ago so I could spend time with my dad. Last year I was shooting in the low to mid eighties from the middle tees. It took about four years for me to "get it". I worked on the game from the cup to the tee and didn't buy a driver until last year. And I still use my three wood a lot more, which may leave me a little short, but I'm rarely in terrible trouble. My clubs are hand me downs that my dad bought at a country club (but they came with a 56 degree Vokey wedge, which I must say is like a magic wand).

Haven't played at all yet this year and probably won't play more than a few times because I bought a sailboat to take my kids out on. Additionally, I realize that getting much lower than where I am is purely a function of time, which I just do not have. That has changed my perspective, to the point that I will probably be content just to play 10 times a season, rather than the twice a week I played for the last five years. While I was seeing a lot of improvement in my game it was a lot of fun, but reaching a plateau has made golf a little pedestrian for me.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I played golf on a Sunday morning for the first time in over 3 years yesterday. Generally, Sundays are family time, but my wife and son were out of town so I took advantage. I played a little course in Loveland, Eagle's Nest, and had a great time. The course is ok tee to green, but the greens are great. Very similar to a Donald Ross course. Tough greens, but in great shape. I played pretty well too, 68, and look forward to playing Maketewah today. Another beautiful day!
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

I've been trying to play as much has possible now that it's warmed up. Saturday we got out to Walden Ponds up in Hamilton. Real nice course, and we got a real good deal too - only $23 a player. If you haven't heard of it before, try checking golflink.com before making a tee time. A lot of times, they'll have pretty significant discounts on greens fees.

My personal favorite course though is Beckett Ridge Country Club up here in West Chester. Right now it's only $20.25 in the afternoons on weekdays - it'll go back up to $25 here soon, but still, you just can't beat that. The course is challenging, yet fun, and I'm guessing not enough people know about it (it's been open to the public for a couple years now) because it's rare I have to end up waiting on every shot, which can be a real big drawback from the game.
    Last edited by Screwball; 04-12-2010 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Walden, not Walen

My game is long but wild, and so far this year my woods have been extremely erratic. Of course, I've only been to a driving range once despite actually playing three times already so I haven't exactly done a whole lot of range work to try to work out the wildness.

One thing I am happy about so far this year is my putting seems to be better, and I'm also hitting my mid to short iron approach shots fairly well. I've been able to avoid three putts (except for the extremely long and/or fringe/rough putts), and I've been money from inside about eight feet or so on the green. I also drained a 25-foot downhill right-to-left putt on Saturday.

Those approach shots and my work on the green has bailed me out quite a bit from my erratic tee game so far. My woods have been so erratic that oftentimes this year I've just elected to tee off with a 5-iron. Of course, it helps that I can hit a 5-iron circa 215ish, and on most par 4s I've been able to go 5-iron off the tee and then anywhere from 7-iron to wedge to the green, even on the 400+ yard par 4s.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    I've been trying to play as much has possible now that it's warmed up. Saturday we got out to Walen Ponds up in Hamilton. Real nice course, and we got a real good deal too - only $23 a player. If you haven't heard of it before, try checking golflink.com before making a tee time. A lot of times, they'll have pretty significant discounts on greens fees.
    I'm assuming you mean Walden Ponds, and if so I played there last month. Decent course, and we actually played there early enough in March that there was still snow on the ground.

Also, case in point to my long but wild game: I hit four houses on the front nine at Walden Ponds last month while playing there.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Haven't hit the links yet this year and have only been to the range once. This was the worst winter for golf I can remember. Usually I get on the course a couple of times through the winter but it didn't happen. I always hate the first few rounds because they are frustratingly bad. I will probably get on the course at least once this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    I'm assuming you mean Walden Ponds, and if so I played there last month. Decent course, and we actually played there early enough in March that there was still snow on the ground.

Also, case in point to my long but wild game: I hit four houses on the front nine at Walden Ponds last month while playing there.
    Haha, yeah I meant Walden Ponds, not Walen. My buddy definitely hit a house too on 17. We gave him pretty much grief over it, I can't imagine what we'd say if he hit 4.

And if you're hitting your irons that far, you probably had no more than a mid iron left for your second on that short 460ish Par 5 on the front (6th hole I think?). Assuming, of course, your ball wasn't on Rt. 4 somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Haha, yeah I meant Walden Ponds, not Walen. My buddy definitely hit a house too on 17. We gave him pretty much grief over it, I can't imagine what we'd say if he hit 4.

And if you're hitting your irons that far, you probably had no more than a mid iron left for your second on that short 460ish Par 5 on the front (6th hole I think?). Assuming, of course, your ball wasn't on Rt. 4 somewhere.
    I remember that hole, and if I'd have had a good tee shot, then I wouldn't have had much more than maybe an 8 or 9-iron remaining to the green. But I know my tee shot was lousy on that hole.

In fact, that may have been the hole where I drilled two houses on consecutive shots. I remember there were two holes where Route 4 went alongside the left. On one of the holes, houses lined the right side, and on the other hole there was a bunch of rough/trees on the right side before the houses.

Anyway, on the hole with the houses on the right side and Route 4 on the left, I nailed a house on the tee shot. Then I took a stroke, dropped in the right rough, and promptly nailed another house on my approach shot.

And that was about the point where I pretty much picked up my ball on that hole.

The thing with my golf game is my wildness and penalty strokes just destroys my score. On a typical day, I'll shoot in the mid 90s with that score including at least a half dozen penalty strokes, sometimes more. If I could actually keep my ball in play for an entire round, I'd shoot mid to high 80s more often than not. Heck, even when I do manage to keep my ball in play, I'm still toiling around in trees, trying to punch out of the edges of a forest or attempting to get myself out of a creek. Interestingly, I do tend to avoid bunkers fairly well though.

I would say that the one plus out of all this is I've gotten a whole bunch of practice at getting myself out of trouble, and some of my better shots each round are miraculous pull-it-out-of-my-rear shot to get myself out of trouble from somewhere. I've been able to develop an interesting 125-yard punch shot where I can use a 5 or 6-iron and I'm able to keep the ball under a six foot trajectory during its entire flight path. It's great for getting out of areas under tree branches where you've got to keep the ball low to get out.
    Last edited by Cyclone792; 04-12-2010 at 10:26 AM.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Thought I'd mention a relatively well kept west side secret- Deer Run over in Bridgetown is open to the public. It's a short course, but it is also hilly and very unforgiving. Get off the fairway and you're likely down a steep slope and in very tough rough. If you are wild, bring a couple sleeves of balls because you'll be feeding the woods. And it's also pretty well managed, except maybe for some of the sand traps, a few of which have some drainage problems. I've played there many times and it's always a nice challenge.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

I tweaked my back last year and played through it. I developed some very bad habits in order to keep myself on the course. By the end of the year it was if I had forgot how to play. Like Tin Cup bad. First time out to the range this year, more of the same.

Will probably need to seek some professional direction to straighten things out, or give it up and go fishing.

GL

When you guys get a chance, go out to Stonelick Hills Golf Course in Batavia. It can be a bit pricey, up to $70 I believe, but it's the best public course in the city. It's awesome. It's as pretty as Shaker Run, but a better layout. Like Screwball mentioned about Beckett, it may be cheaper at off times.

Turn Off Ads?