Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

Re: Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Weatherwax?
    I wasn't going to name names because it was so bad and a friend of mine is pretty high in their maintenance department, but yeah... The Wax was in bad shape.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Two weeks later, my game is completely gone. I shot 83 last weekend with my Dad, and shot 82 today. I counted 8 shots today that I either dead topped, or dead chunked. I'm a 1 handicap. How does this happen? I also was 0 for 14 in fairways hit. Not a typo. 0 for 14. And I only hit 5 drivers all day long. Not sure what to do at this point.
    I read this thread, but really don't contribute too much. Like you, I am a low handicap player pretty much obsessed with getting better. What I've found is there are times where the constant grinding of the gears is too much. The game becomes a chore and ceases to be fun, and the scores rise. Had it happen to me just last week in a tournament. Leading up to it I was really intense, and I bombed in epic fashion. I started off with a triple bogey, then a snap hook drive that led to a bogey, then missed 5 straight birdie putts under 15 feet. Snap hooked another on 8 and the next 28 holes are a blur of fail. I was hitting 240 yard drives I was so screwed up, and normally that's my comfy 5 wood distance. It was a miracle I even made 2 birdies in 2 days, and I can make 2 birdies per 9 in my sleep the majority of the time (and 2 bogeys, but hey, all pars is boring golf).

Simply put, I was too focused on score and blew up. I was mentally fried, and I'm guessing you are too. I tend to let my score dictate level of enjoyment, which is the easiest way to derail a round. The grip tightens, the shoulders tighten, the hips lock. Mental issues become physical issues, and you can very easily undo years of muscle memory in a few bad rounds. Suddenly a bad week becomes a bad month, which becomes a battle you'll fight for a year.

Played my 9 hole league this week (I never care about what I shoot in the league) and I shot 33 while practically carrying on conversations as I was swinging. I played Dr. Gio and looked myself in the proverbial mirror, and really got back to basics. Funny (at least to me)...I shot a 67 a few weeks ago and I can't really remember more than 4 shots from that round. As any serious golfer will tell you, that's not normal. I can still go hole by hole from HS tourneys, but my best score ever last month? I'd really have to work to tell that story.

Take the next round off mentally and go back to what makes the game fun. If you don't normally drink during a round, get a couple of beers. Change up the format of the side bet if you have one. Play a new course, or play with people outside of your usual group. Whatever it takes to remove all self-induced, game ruining pressure. Golf truly imitates life, and sometimes you just need a mental health day.
    Last edited by guttle11; 08-06-2011 at 01:33 AM.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Worst weekend of golf for me in a long time. I'm an average golfer (12.1 handicap) and shot 36 holes at my home course; 104 and 98. My natural swing is a fade and out of no where I began hooking everything. Anyone got any tips other than take some time off? Or better yet, a few drills to take the fade out of my swing unless its wanted? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    I wasn't going to name names because it was so bad and a friend of mine is pretty high in their maintenance department, but yeah... The Wax was in bad shape.
    Great.

Our SOPGA Assistant's Championship was moved to Weatherwax from Shaker Run. It's 36 holes this Tuesday. I played Shaker on Monday and it was in rough shape.

The heat over the last 3 weeks has destroyed the public courses in this area.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

We had our annual Pro-Am matches yesterday at Ivy Hills CC. It's the areas top 20 Pros vs. Ams. We play Best Ball in the morning and Individual matches in the afternoon, similar to the Ryder Cup. The Ams won this year. I played mediocre in the morning, but really well in the afternoon. I made 7 birdies in the afternoon and won my match 5&3. I'll tell you what, playing two rounds yesterday took a lot out me. I'm exhausted right now.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    I read this thread, but really don't contribute too much. Like you, I am a low handicap player pretty much obsessed with getting better. What I've found is there are times where the constant grinding of the gears is too much. The game becomes a chore and ceases to be fun, and the scores rise. Had it happen to me just last week in a tournament. Leading up to it I was really intense, and I bombed in epic fashion. I started off with a triple bogey, then a snap hook drive that led to a bogey, then missed 5 straight birdie putts under 15 feet. Snap hooked another on 8 and the next 28 holes are a blur of fail. I was hitting 240 yard drives I was so screwed up, and normally that's my comfy 5 wood distance. It was a miracle I even made 2 birdies in 2 days, and I can make 2 birdies per 9 in my sleep the majority of the time (and 2 bogeys, but hey, all pars is boring golf).

Simply put, I was too focused on score and blew up. I was mentally fried, and I'm guessing you are too. I tend to let my score dictate level of enjoyment, which is the easiest way to derail a round. The grip tightens, the shoulders tighten, the hips lock. Mental issues become physical issues, and you can very easily undo years of muscle memory in a few bad rounds. Suddenly a bad week becomes a bad month, which becomes a battle you'll fight for a year.

Played my 9 hole league this week (I never care about what I shoot in the league) and I shot 33 while practically carrying on conversations as I was swinging. I played Dr. Gio and looked myself in the proverbial mirror, and really got back to basics. Funny (at least to me)...I shot a 67 a few weeks ago and I can't really remember more than 4 shots from that round. As any serious golfer will tell you, that's not normal. I can still go hole by hole from HS tourneys, but my best score ever last month? I'd really have to work to tell that story.

Take the next round off mentally and go back to what makes the game fun. If you don't normally drink during a round, get a couple of beers. Change up the format of the side bet if you have one. Play a new course, or play with people outside of your usual group. Whatever it takes to remove all self-induced, game ruining pressure. Golf truly imitates life, and sometimes you just need a mental health day.
    Nice post guttle, and congrats on the scores.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    Great.

Our SOPGA Assistant's Championship was moved to Weatherwax from Shaker Run. It's 36 holes this Tuesday. I played Shaker on Monday and it was in rough shape.

The heat over the last 3 weeks has destroyed the public courses in this area.
    When the leaves are off the trees you can see the house I grew up in from #4 Meadows fairway.

A lot of courses in the area have been in very poor shape the last couple of years largely due to the economy and the significant decline in rounds being played (although the heat and conditions like Redhook said is certainly making it worse).

Many courses in the area are really beat up right now and its kinda sad. I couldn't believe the condition Elks Run out in Batavia was last year. But they just about went bankrupt. That's too bad about Weatherwax. I love that place and have thought it one of the better kept secrets in Cincy for a while now.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    A lot of courses in the area have been in very poor shape the last couple of years largely due to the economy and the significant decline in rounds being played (although the heat and conditions like Redhook said is certainly making it worse).

Many courses in the area are really beat up right now and its kinda sad. I couldn't believe the condition Elks Run out in Batavia was last year. But they just about went bankrupt. That's too bad about Weatherwax. I love that place and have thought it one of the better kept secrets in Cincy for a while now.
    It's the heat and lack of rain. Last year was the worst year since the '50's as far as heat goes. When the temperature stays above 70 at night, the grass doesn't get a chance to cool down. This happened for nearly 2 straight months last year. This year, it's been much of the same since early July. Just brutal weather.

Courses in the area were in great shape one month. My course, Sharon Woods, was perfect on July 8th. 2 weeks later, it was completely stressed out from the heat. Country Clubs are struggling too, but they do have a bigger budget and a larger staff to combat the heat. But eventually, Mother Nature will win.

Thinking about your event at The Wax, a lot of the new areas they constructed as black tee boxes a few years ago looked unusable. So if there's any consolation, maybe it will play a tad shorter.

Anyways, enjoy my "home" course (although my HS golf team played matches at Brown's Run CC), even though it may be a little beat up.

Thinking about your event at The Wax, a lot of the new areas they constructed as black tee boxes a few years ago looked unusable. So if there's any consolation, maybe it will play a tad shorter.

Anyways, enjoy my "home" course (although my HS golf team played matches at Brown's Run CC), even though it may be a little beat up.
    Thanks. I used to be a member at BRCC. I love that course. I hold all the course records there too!

I'm going to try to head up to Weatherwax late tonight or tomorrow afternoon to scope it out. We're playing the toughest 2 sides, IMO. Woodside and Highlands.

Thanks. I used to be a member at BRCC. I love that course. I hold all the course records there too!

I'm going to try to head up to Weatherwax late tonight or tomorrow afternoon to scope it out. We're playing the toughest 2 sides, IMO. Woodside and Highlands.
    Agreed on Woodside. But I don't think Highlands is all that tough after the first two holes. #8 can be a tough par 3 also. I'd go with Meadows as my 2nd toughest 9 out there.

Agreed on Woodside. But I don't think Highlands is all that tough after the first two holes. #8 can be a tough par 3 also. I'd go with Meadows as my 2nd toughest 9 out there.
    I haven't played Meadows in quite awhile, but after playing Highlands twice yesterday, I agree. #1 and 2 are possibly the hardest two holes at Weatherwax, but it is quite simple after that.

Yesterday was very frustrating. I didn't hit the ball great, but I did hit a lot of good shots. I just couldn't make anything on the greens. It was just one of those days. I only had 3 birdies in 36 holes. I had 3 bogies and 30 pars. I shot 73, 71 to tie for 6. 5-under won.

I haven't played Meadows in quite awhile, but after playing Highlands twice yesterday, I agree. #1 and 2 are possibly the hardest two holes at Weatherwax, but it is quite simple after that.

Yesterday was very frustrating. I didn't hit the ball great, but I did hit a lot of good shots. I just couldn't make anything on the greens. It was just one of those days. I only had 3 birdies in 36 holes. I had 3 bogies and 30 pars. I shot 73, 71 to tie for 6. 5-under won.
    Meadows is by far my least favorite and toughest course out there. I believe its hole #4 or so, the longish par 3 that runs up the hill with woods right. Back in my HS days in the district tournament two years in a row that hole ruined my chances of advancing. In my Jr. season I got it down to two over and proceeded to take an 8. Then in my senior year I lowered my score by 3 to a 5. That hole killed me both years.

Highlands and Valley View are by far the easiest two courses at Weatherwax. #1 and #2 can be difficult holes on Highlands but with a dry golf course the holes have a little less bite.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Meadows is by far my least favorite and toughest course out there. I believe its hole #4 or so, the longish par 3 that runs up the hill with woods right. Back in my HS days in the district tournament two years in a row that hole ruined my chances of advancing. In my Jr. season I got it down to two over and proceeded to take an 8. Then in my senior year I lowered my score by 3 to a 5. That hole killed me both years.

Highlands and Valley View are by far the easiest two courses at Weatherwax. #1 and #2 can be difficult holes on Highlands but with a dry golf course the holes have a little less bite.
    That's #5. That hole is tougher than Chinese geometry. I've played Weatherwax 100s of times and I bet my par % on that hole is about 10. It's almost impossible to hit the green and if you miss either left OR right, you're dead. #4 and #6 are the only 2 simple holes on the Meadows 9 and they're both par 5s. The more I think about it, that probably is the toughest of the 9s for me. Although #8 is the site of my only career hole-in-one.

Turn Off Ads?