Turn Off Ads?
Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

Re: Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Awesome! The par 5 on the front with the somewhat island green (I wanna say it's number 8) is one of the coolest holes I've ever played. Not exactly sure why, but it was always one of my favorites. Probably a breeze for you to get on in 2 if I remember correctly.
    It is #8. For some reason, they made it a 454 yard par 4 for us in this tournament. Into the wind today, I hit driver then 7 iron. Normally, I'd hit driver and have a long iron/hybrid into the green. I prefer it as a par 5 because it brings in the risk vs. reward factor more.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

2. Turn Off Ads?

Interesting development in golf today. The USGA had banned anchored putters.

The USGA and R&A announced a proposed rule change Wednesday that would outlaw anchoring putters to the body while making a stroke. The rule change, if approved after a period of review, will take effect on Jan. 1, 2016.

This method of putting, in which belly or long putters are secured against the body, is used by many top pros, including Adam Scott, Keegan Bradley, Webb Simpson and Ernie Els.

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/us...stroke?sct=hp1
    Personally I like the proposal. I wish they would reign in technology because its making the game "easier."

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Interesting development in golf today. The USGA had banned anchored putters.

Personally I like the proposal. I wish they would reign in technology because its making the game "easier."
    Very interesting. I have mixed feelings about this. Deep down, I'm happy they're enforcing this rule because, in my opinion and many others, anchoring a golf club goes against the integrity of the game.

On the flip side, as a PGA Professional and Golf 2.0 proponant for growing the game of golf, this is definitely a blow towards making the game more fun and enjoyable for the recreational golfer. Golf is very difficult, too difficult for many, so it's tough for me to see them take anything that makes the game tougher for the average folk.

Long-term, this will help the game. The real problem is it took too long to enforce. This should've been taken care of years ago before it became the animal it is today.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    Very interesting. I have mixed feelings about this. Deep down, I'm happy they're enforcing this rule because, in my opinion and many others, anchoring a golf club goes against the integrity of the game.

On the flip side, as a PGA Professional and Golf 2.0 proponant for growing the game of golf, this is definitely a blow towards making the game more fun and enjoyable for the recreational golfer. Golf is very difficult, too difficult for many, so it's tough for me to see them take anything that makes the game tougher for the average folk.

Long-term, this will help the game. The real problem is it took too long to enforce. This should've been taken care of years ago before it became the animal it is today.
    I think the technology aspect of the game needs to be slowed down substantially. About 15 years ago when I was playing a in a lot of tournaments and such I carried a 2 iron as my "safety" tee club. A club that if I hit well I could get up to 240 max. About 5 years ago I got a driving iron that no only is more accurate but longer. Hybrids have made difficult rough shots much easier, drivers now are longer with each model. At some point the technology needs to stop, especially among the good golfers.

My dad was a very good amateur player who couldn't put to save his life. About 20 years ago one of his friends recommended he go to a long putter to help his putting. It substantially helped and it has saved his game has he has lost distance. He doesn't "anchor" the putter his his belly rather he had his top hand loosely touching his chest. A slight adaptation will probably make his putter legal.

As a golfer I am in favor of this, especially among the top level golfers. The game should be difficult to the pro's and low handicappers. But to your weekend warriors I think this may hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post

Don't you think the real problem with the average golfer's putting is that it's just not understood and practiced enough? When I "re-learned" how to play golf in my early forties I took good advice from a pro who told me to start from the hole and work backwards, skewing my practice and development towards putting, chipping and pitching. It made me a much more fundamentally sound golfer, I'm sure.

Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, I think it may have been Penick who explained that a putting stroke and a stroke with any other club really only differ in the length of the back stroke (or something along those lines). This was one of the most beautiful pieces of golf knowledge I ever picked up, that all the rules for hitting a ball well with a putter are in play just as they are with any other club. Return the club to the same position on impact, hands in front to promote ball first striking, etc., it's all the same to me, but just with a shorter swing (and a different grip, of course). I have always thought a belly putter complicated things too much because once you introduce an anchored club, you require yourself to learn a different swing.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=Edwg-Fz1x7Q

Ok. I've played probably 3-4 times in the last 2 years. Before today I hadn't hit any in a while. Going Florida for vacation in a couple weeks and we'll have 2 foursomes going 3-4 times while we're down there. My 3 brothers, my dad, 2 uncles, grand father and me. They all play regularly and we're very competitive. Clearly I should have started practicing before now but whatever.

Anybody have any major suggestions of things to work on when I go back to the range tomorrow?

I realize I should have gotten a side view but I didn't put a lot of thought into it.

Oh the last shot dinged the pole at the end of the range on the fly which is why I thought a minor fist pump was warranted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Razor Shines; 05-17-2013 at 02:33 AM.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post

Ok. I've played probably 3-4 times in the last 2 years. Before today I hadn't hit any in a while. Going Florida for vacation in a couple weeks and we'll have 2 foursomes going 3-4 times while we're down there. My 3 brothers, my dad, 2 uncles, grand father and me. They all play regularly and we're very competitive. Clearly I should have started practicing before now but whatever.

Anybody have any major suggestions of things to work on when I go back to the range tomorrow?

I realize I should have gotten a side view but I didn't put a lot of thought into it.

Oh the last shot dinged the pole at the end of the range on the fly which is why I thought a minor fist pump was warranted.

Well the pro will probably have better advice than me, but as an admitted hacker, here's my advice. Go to the range and start with a 9 iron. Hit as many 9 shots with the 9 iron as it takes to feel comfortable that you can make a decent swing with it. After that hit a 7 iron again until you absolutely feel comfortable hitting it. Then a 5 iron again until you feel comfortable.

From that point, you can branch to either a wood of some kind, or a longer iron if you want. This way when you're on the course, you may start off hitting a driver or a wood, but if you want to keep it straight, you'll know you have a few clubs you can rely on.
    And really, if you can hit a 5 iron, then you're golden.
    An average Par 4 is say 350-360 yards, two decent five irons and you'll be close enough to use the 9 iron in some variation to hit into or chip or pitch.

I've played long enough to know what I can do well and not do well, and I almost never pull a driver or a wood out of my bag. But I can hit a 3 iron about 190 yards and straight which is about perfect.
    Last edited by Hoosier Red; 05-17-2013 at 11:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

9. Likes:

Razor Shines (05-18-2013)

Don't take full swings. Take three quarter (or even half) swings at a smooth temp without swinging hard. You have to get used to the feel of striking the ball before you take full swings at full tempo.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

11. Likes:

Redhook will be your best source, but if I were to give a simple suggestion, I'd say slow your backswing/takeaway down just a bit. I think that will help your body get in a better rhythm and and help you keep your balance a bit.

13. Likes:

Can't comment on the swing, except that I also thought about slowing it down.

I don't play more than a few times a year now, in group events mostly. My strategy is to go to the range a few times prior and practice about 70% chipping/putting and 30% irons. Around the green and 100 yards in is where my sense of feel erodes the most if I don't play regularly, so I gain a lot back by just working on those parts of the game.

15. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Redhook will be your best source, but if I were to give a simple suggestion, I'd say slow your backswing/takeaway down just a bit. I think that will help your body get in a better rhythm and and help you keep your balance a bit.
    That must be what I don't like. I liked the way I hit the ball way more than I liked how I my swing looks. I'm gonna think about a slower backswing today.

Does it seem like I'm standing too close to the ball? I didn't feel like I was but watching that it kinda looks like I have to move my body out of the way just to complete the swing.

Does it seem like I'm standing too close to the ball? I didn't feel like I was but watching that it kinda looks like I have to move my body out of the way just to complete the swing.
    You have a very good golf swing. With your irons, you are standing a bit too close to the ball. Try to have your arms hang under your shoulders with about a hands width (5") of space between the end of the grip and your belt buckle.

The only other thing I'd recommend is squaring up your shoulders at address. With your irons they're barely open, but with your driver your shoulders are aiming way left of your of your toe line. This causes you to swing slightly over your backswing path (over-the-top) which will cause pulls/slices/popups. It also pulls you towards your toes on your downswing which is why you feel like your off balance after your swing.

Try this: Place a club on the ground pointing at the flag. Then place another club on the ground parallel to that one your toe line (railroad tracks). Remove the first club then take your setup with your feet parallel to the club on the ground. After setting up, take the club in your hand and place it across your shoulders to see if they're parallel to your toes (this is easier with the help of someone else). This will feel a little odd at first, but golf is easier if your upper and lower body are working together.

After you've squared them up, you'll have an easier time swinging up and down on a same path and you should feel more balanced at your finish.

Good luck!

18. Likes:

Thank you everybody. I ended up playing 9 Friday afternoon. Shot a 41 (+5) and I think a lot of the thoughts I took from this thread helped. Only had to take 1 penalty stroke for a nasty hook with the driver. I need to be more conservative off the tee as many of you suggest but I struggle with that. I can crush the ball and I guess I like to show off but 50 yards into the woods is not very impressive. I hit a couple good drives but after the duck hook I hit 3 iron off the tee.

Redhook, thanks for the tip. I'll work on that this week. I think it's lack of confidence that causes me to open up without realizing it. Usually if I miss off the tee I slice, so i guess my default is to aim left if I'm not thinking confident thoughts.

Looks like they are banning the belly putter.

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/9...g-january-2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I can crush the ball and I guess I like to show off but 50 yards into the woods is not very impressive. I hit a couple good drives but after the duck hook I hit 3 iron off the tee.

I have a brother you should play with- hits it about 290, hardly ever in the fairway. Out drives me by 50 yards, but I'm usually out of trouble.
    He can hit a seven iron about a mile, high and soft, and usually digs out of the junk he's in to reach the greens with me. Bomb and dig.

He says I play like a grandpa.
    I tell him he plays like a frat boy. On coke.

We score the same.

Turn Off Ads?