Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 32 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

Re: Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Finally!
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

2. Turn Off Ads?

I recently put in a 4th wedge, a 50 degree, in the bag. My PW is 46. I bent my 54 up to 55 and my 58 to 59. In reverse order, I hit them 100, 114, 127, 140. Nice gaps, I like this a lot. I now have to take my 3 iron out of the bag. No big deal since I don't use it much and I carry my 4 iron 215.

Additionally, I put a new 3wood in the bag. It's Cleveland 13 degree (Tour Head) with a Miyazaki shaft that I picked up from a Nationwide event. This club is a beast. I love it.

Also, I'm going through some test runs with a new hybrid. I currently use a Cleveland Launcher 1 hybrid. I've been testing a Cleveland 1 Mashie. Both have x100 shafts. I like them both, but I'm not quite ready to take the Launcher out of the bag because it's my go-to club.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    I recently put in a 4th wedge, a 50 degree, in the bag. My PW is 46. I bent my 54 up to 55 and my 58 to 59. In reverse order, I hit them 100, 114, 127, 140. Nice gaps, I like this a lot. I now have to take my 3 iron out of the bag. No big deal since I don't use it much and I carry my 4 iron 215.

Additionally, I put a new 3wood in the bag. It's Cleveland 13 degree (Tour Head) with a Miyazaki shaft that I picked up from a Nationwide event. This club is a beast. I love it.

Also, I'm going through some test runs with a new hybrid. I currently use a Cleveland Launcher 1 hybrid. I've been testing a Cleveland 1 Mashie. Both have x100 shafts. I like them both, but I'm not quite ready to take the Launcher out of the bag because it's my go-to club.
    Obviously you are a professional golfer, and you and I are not on the same level, but this is something I never got into. I've got hand me down Taylor Made RAC irons, a driver I bought used at Golf Galaxy (Titlest 909 D2), a Titleist 907 3 wood i traded my buddy for, a cleveland sand wedge I bought used, a cleveland (non matching) gap wedge that I got from the lost and found at the course I used to work at, and a random taylor made 60 degree.

How much of a difference do you think it would make in my game if I got my clubs fitted to my swing, or paid more attention to the loft of my wedges, and/or had a matching set of clubs?

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Obviously you are a professional golfer, and you and I are not on the same level, but this is something I never got into. I've got hand me down Taylor Made RAC irons, a driver I bought used at Golf Galaxy (Titlest 909 D2), a Titleist 907 3 wood i traded my buddy for, a cleveland sand wedge I bought used, a cleveland (non matching) gap wedge that I got from the lost and found at the course I used to work at, and a random taylor made 60 degree.

How much of a difference do you think it would make in my game if I got my clubs fitted to my swing, or paid more attention to the loft of my wedges, and/or had a matching set of clubs?
    At your level, it's huge. Try to find a range that has Trackman, a doppler device that tracks every shot you hit and displays it on a computer with all the stats. You can compare different drivers with different lofts and shafts.

Then, you'll want to hit some shots with a Mizuno shaft opitmizer. I'm not exactly sure what it's called, but it's a device that is on a Mizuno club that tracks your swing and, after a few shots, recommends the top 3 iron shafts on the market that would fit your swing. Additionally, you will have the lie of your clubs measured which is very, very important.

And last, with Trackman, a PGA pro can suggest the proper loft different in your wedges so you don't have large gaps. And, on the other end, they'll suggest a hybrid or two that will help your long game.

In Cincinnati, the Cincinnati Golf Center near Kings Island, has all this. It's pretty amazing and well worth the time. It costs about $50 for 30 minutes or $80 for an hour to get fitted. From there, you can take the advice and do what you deem necessary. It could obviously range from spending a couple of hundred dollars to a lot. At the bare minimum, you'll know if you're clubs are close to being correct or way off.

At your level, it's huge. Try to find a range that has Trackman, a doppler device that tracks every shot you hit and displays it on a computer with all the stats. You can compare different drivers with different lofts and shafts.
    I am the same way as HoBail. I carry a Ping G10 driver, a Mizuno Hi-Fi driving 2 iron, a Titleist 909H 19 hybrid, 3-PW Mizuno MP 14 blades, Titleist Black Spin Mill Wedges 52 and 56. The two wedges I got this year and were my first new clubs that I bought since I got my irons 10 years ago.

I am not a big believer in new equipment. It does help, I replace my driver every 4-5 years, usually hitting a friends and then searching ebay for a used version. I don't believe that new equipment is worth the cost vs the overall improvement. It seems as if each time I get a new driver I gain around 10 yards and my hybrids serve a purpose that I didn't exactly have before I had them. My driving 2 iron is a lot more forgiving than my old MP 33 2 iron, and my hybrid is a little shorter but much easier than my old three wood. But to me the cost associated with buying new clubs every other year isn't going to make me a scratch or better golfer.

FWIW I think the area you save the most strokes is from 100 yards and in. I have always marveled at people who are willing to buy $400+ driver every other year but don't feel the need to invest in wedges and putters.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    FWIW I think the area you save the most strokes is from 100 yards and in. I have always marveled at people who are willing to buy $400+ driver every other year but don't feel the need to invest in wedges and putters.
    Spending the same on lessons would go even farther. My golf friends have terrible swings and beautiful clubs, and most of them are 20+ handicappers. A Vokey wedge in their hands is a waste.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I don't believe that new equipment is worth the cost vs the overall improvement.
    I tend to agree. New equipment costs way too much. If I had to pay for clubs, I would definitely get used clubs off ebay.

But to me the cost associated with buying new clubs every other year isn't going to make me a scratch or better golfer.
    You don't need clubs every year. I think a good set of irons should last 5+ years. A good driver will last at least 3 years, if not more. I love using clubs for a few years. I just want to know that they're the best for me.

I'm not advocating spending a lot of money. I'm recommending making sure your clubs are correct for you in terms of length, lie, and shaft. The club head can be new or old, but the length, lie, and shaft needs to be correct to get the most out of your game. Any avid golfer should get fit for clubs or at least find out what specs would be best for their game. This doesn't need to be done often, once every 4-5 years would be sufficient, IMO. It is important though.

Absolutely. 43% of the game is putting. About 70% is under 100 yards.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Absolutely. 43% of the game is putting. About 70% is under 100 yards.
    I tracked this for four rounds of 18 over the last 2 weeks, and I found that I was giving back -- on average -- 10-12 strokes per round on poor shots inside 50 yards.

Duffed chips, chips that leave you with incredibly difficult putts, etc. -- they all add up and really can torpedo a round.

I'm by no means as good of a golfer as you guys (I'm tall, so I bomb the ball when I hit it and that covers a lot of sins), but it's absolutely true that managing the short game makes all the difference in a round IMO.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I've been fascinated with Gary Woodland since last year's U.S. Open, when I watched him (in person) hit a 382 yard drive on #2 at Pebble Beach before I even knew who he was. Pretty awesome to see his ascension to the top of the PGA tour this year.

Anyways, for those that don't know, the guy hits the ball just a mile. I mean, absolutely crushes it. I've studied his swing to try figure out how he does it, but I'm no expert at breaking down swings. Hook, what do you see that I could try to mimic to help me gain a few yards?

‪Gary Woodland Masters 2011‬‏ - YouTube

‪Gary Woodland 271 yd. iron Uphill!‬‏ - YouTube

Woodland is a freak of nature. Simple as that. He's like Usain Bolt. You just can't teach that much speed. You either have it or you don't.

A couple of things to look for are his hip rotation and wrist action. At impact, his hips are facing the target. Pretty tough to do. Along with that, his wrists are hinged well past 90 degrees which creates this super sling-slot whipping action through impact. It's pretty much impossible to copy this. Only a handle of people in the world can do this effectively.

If there was a sport to emulate to create more power, it would be jai alai. If you don't know what that is, look it up on youtube and try emulate that action. It creates a lot more power for golf.

I'm playing Valhalla on September 2. Woot woot!!!! I can't wait. Gonna have to get the cobwebs off my clubs. I've played like 5 times this year.... and I live in florida!!
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Woodland is a freak of nature. Simple as that. He's like Usain Bolt. You just can't teach that much speed. You either have it or you don't.

A couple of things to look for are his hip rotation and wrist action. At impact, his hips are facing the target. Pretty tough to do. Along with that, his wrists are hinged well past 90 degrees which creates this super sling-slot whipping action through impact. It's pretty much impossible to copy this. Only a handle of people in the world can do this effectively.

If there was a sport to emulate to create more power, it would be jai alai. If you don't know what that is, look it up on youtube and try emulate that action. It creates a lot more power for golf.
    A couple of things I noticed:

The guy is built like a tank. He looks more like a line backer or safety than a golfer. When he address the ball he just looks powerful. I don't know if there is a way to technically break it down but o well.

At the top of the swing it looks like his wrist get a little whippy generating more club head speed. From my view point it looks like a very good swing because his body is pretty quiet at the top before he starts his down swing.

He swings hard, especially with that long iron shot. His tee shot posted looked in pretty good rhythm. His iron shot on the par 5 not so much.

It was nice to see him hole that eagle put. Its a waste of a 270 yard iron shot if you two put for birdie and your playing partner sticks a 100 yard sand wedge for the same outcome.

Two weeks later, my game is completely gone. I shot 83 last weekend with my Dad, and shot 82 today. I counted 8 shots today that I either dead topped, or dead chunked. I'm a 1 handicap. How does this happen? I also was 0 for 14 in fairways hit. Not a typo. 0 for 14. And I only hit 5 drivers all day long. Not sure what to do at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I'm playing Valhalla on September 2. Woot woot!!!! I can't wait. Gonna have to get the cobwebs off my clubs. I've played like 5 times this year.... and I live in florida!!
    I played for the 1st time in about 3 years this afternoon. Thankfully it was a scramble and I was with 3 fair to better than average golfers who kept us in the hunt for birdies and eagles. I hit just enough decent shots myself to make me think about going back out soon. But probably not.

That said, we played at a place that I've been playing at since I've picked up clubs and the course was in by far the worst shape I've eve seen it. It was sad. I was just wondering if the weather has played that much havoc with course conditions or if maybe lack of funds was a factor as well. (This course is a self-sufficient muni whose conditions are usually in the 8-8.5 range. Today they were more like a 5.)
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Weatherwax?
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Turn Off Ads?