Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 285 of 477

Thread: Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

  1. #271
    Yay! dabvu2498's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,463

    Re: Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

    Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    I haven't played Meadows in quite awhile, but after playing Highlands twice yesterday, I agree. #1 and 2 are possibly the hardest two holes at Weatherwax, but it is quite simple after that.

    Yesterday was very frustrating. I didn't hit the ball great, but I did hit a lot of good shots. I just couldn't make anything on the greens. It was just one of those days. I only had 3 birdies in 36 holes. I had 3 bogies and 30 pars. I shot 73, 71 to tie for 6. 5-under won.
    What did you think of the conditions?
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #272
    Miami Redhawks Redhook's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    2,257

    Re: Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

    Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    What did you think of the conditions?
    They were about what I expected them to be. A little crispy around the edges with some brown spots in the fairways and rough. Overall, the greens were decent. I wasn't disappointed in the condition, but it certainly wasn't in great shape. It's in better shape than Shaker Run though. The worst part was the area around the greens. If you missed the green, it was very difficult to chip it. These past couple of summer have really been tough on Cincinnati area golf courses. Hopefully, the next week of cooler weather will help a bit.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

    www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

  4. #273
    I'm gettin paper Homer Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4,689

    Re: Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

    Anyone ever played TPC Deere Run? I'm playing there on Sunday. Can not believe its only $60 to play on a weekend.

  5. #274
    Miami Redhawks Redhook's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    2,257

    Re: Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

    Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Anyone ever played TPC Deere Run? I'm playing there on Sunday. Can not believe its only $60 to play on a weekend.
    No, but I almost did. I tried to qualify for the John Deere PGA event there in 2001. I shot 65, 7 under, but lost in a playoff. One of the most disappointing golf-related days of my life.

    It looks like a course where you can air it out. Have fun!
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

    www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

  6. #275
    I'm gettin paper Homer Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4,689

    Re: Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

    Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    No, but I almost did. I tried to qualify for the John Deere PGA event there in 2001. I shot 65, 7 under, but lost in a playoff. One of the most disappointing golf-related days of my life.

    It looks like a course where you can air it out. Have fun!
    Was a fun course, but it was in pretty bad shape. I know I just watched it on tv a month ago, but I can't believe there is a PGA tournament at this course. I played it all the way back, and never had more than a 6 iron into a par 4. Card says 7,200, but it really doesn't play that long.

    I was crushing it off the tee, but really hit my irons horribly. 11 of 14 fairways, but 8 of 18 greens. Just awful ball striking. Threw together a 78 that felt a lot worse than it was. I would love another shot at the course. It can easily be taken low.

  7. #276
    Miami Redhawks Redhook's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    2,257

    Re: Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

    A 16 year-old, American Lexi Thompson, just won an LPGA Tour event by 5 shots. She's the youngest winner by 2 years. It's hard to comprehend someone winning a tour event at that age. Unbelievable.

    Oh, and for the guys out there, she was averaging 275 off the tee for the week.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

    www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

  8. #277
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ft. Wright, Ky
    Posts
    47

    Re: Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

    Has anyone in here played the Titleist AP2 or the Ping S56 irons? I've had my current set of Titleist DCI 981 irons for about 12 years now and am looking to get a new set. I currently play to around a 7-8 handicap I'd say. I've been a loyal Titleist guy since I got the 981s but was recently fitted for a new driver and putter and both of those ended up being Ping (G15 and iSeries Half Moon). Whichever set I go with I'll go for the fitting but was just curious to see if anyone had these in their bag and what their thoughts were. Thanks for any feedback!

  9. #278
    Miami Redhawks Redhook's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    2,257

    Re: Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

    Quote Originally Posted by mash3024 View Post
    Has anyone in here played the Titleist AP2 or the Ping S56 irons? I've had my current set of Titleist DCI 981 irons for about 12 years now and am looking to get a new set. I currently play to around a 7-8 handicap I'd say. I've been a loyal Titleist guy since I got the 981s but was recently fitted for a new driver and putter and both of those ended up being Ping (G15 and iSeries Half Moon). Whichever set I go with I'll go for the fitting but was just curious to see if anyone had these in their bag and what their thoughts were. Thanks for any feedback!
    Both are really good. You can't go wrong with either if you get fit, which it looks like you will. I'd recommend going with your gut and pick the set that looks or feels best to you after testing them.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

    www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

  10. #279
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,297

    Re: Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

    I made a trip up to play OSU's Scarlet a few weeks ago. I have played it a number of times in college and since I have been out. A few years ago they added some length to the course and also better bunkered it. I never really realized what a great job they did in the bunkering of the course until I played it recently.

    As for the course it keeps coming at you. Granted it was wet but there were only 2 holes where it didn't call for a driver off the tee. The course just kept coming at you, I think on the par 3's I was required to hit 3, 4, 4, and 6 iron on the short par 3. I probably played my best golf of the season and was 2 over through 17 holes. Doubled #2 putting a ball in the range and also doubled 14 which used to play as a par 5. Damn darkness got us before we could finish. Its one of my favorite courses to play, even more so when you can play it for $35.

  11. #280
    Miami Redhawks Redhook's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    2,257

    Re: Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I made a trip up to play OSU's Scarlet a few weeks ago. I have played it a number of times in college and since I have been out. A few years ago they added some length to the course and also better bunkered it. I never really realized what a great job they did in the bunkering of the course until I played it recently.

    As for the course it keeps coming at you. Granted it was wet but there were only 2 holes where it didn't call for a driver off the tee. The course just kept coming at you, I think on the par 3's I was required to hit 3, 4, 4, and 6 iron on the short par 3. I probably played my best golf of the season and was 2 over through 17 holes. Doubled #2 putting a ball in the range and also doubled 14 which used to play as a par 5. Damn darkness got us before we could finish. Its one of my favorite courses to play, even more so when you can play it for $35.
    Scarlet is a great course. It's so good, but it's almost not enjoyable because it's so darn difficult. It's relentless.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

    www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

  12. #281
    I'm gettin paper Homer Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4,689

    Re: Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

    Haven't been back to this thread in a while. Figure no one really cares, but its a fun place to talk about my golf game.

    After a horrible month of August, I took some time off (against my will), and barely picked up a club before heading back to Columbus to play a 3 day tournament with a bunch of my buddies from high school. I hit the ball absolutely perfect for 3 days, didn't make anything, shot 72-72-71 at Cooks Creek, New Albany Links, and the Players Club.

    Horrible chokes in each round though. Bogied an easy par 3 at Cooks Creek to blow my shot at shooting under. At NAL, I doubled the first hole, played the next 13 holes 4 under, am standing with a 6 iron in hand into the par 5 14th, and made bogey. Have a lob wedge into 17 and made bogey.

    The final day was the championship match with some pretty big money on the line. Was 2 under on the 17th tee, hooked a 9 iron on a super easy par 3, lost the hole and the match. Settled for 2nd place.

    Last weekend, played 18 with my Dad at Scioto Reserve. Hit 16 greens, and the only two I missed were a par 5 where I drove it OB, and a par 4 where I drove it in the hazard. Literally hit every single green with my irons, and again, couldn't make a darn putt. Shot a 74 after hitting 16 greens, which made me want to vomit. I've putted left hand low for a long time, and I've putted well for most of the summer, but I'm thinking about making a change.

    Hook, I ran into Jeff Olsen (and actually bought some lessons off him for my dad for his birthday), and asked him about you. He said he knew you, and he verified what I already knew, that you had some serious game, haha.

    Sadly, the clubs are probably close to being put away for the winter. Just too busy with work.

  13. #282
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,297

    Re: Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

    Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    Scarlet is a great course. It's so good, but it's almost not enjoyable because it's so darn difficult. It's relentless.
    I always enjoy playing it. Its rare that I get out to play a championship caliber golf course anymore.

    And I agree it is relentless. The course just keeps coming at you. Before they made the changes to it it played easier, probably by a couple of strokes. But I really can't deny that all the changes made the course more difficult in the right ways. They didn't take a 450 yard par 4 and change it to a 500 yard par 4. They bunkered the course as good as you can. They made you make a conscious decision with all the shots you hit. I could only imagine trying to play tournament style golf there. I would be mentally drained after 5 or 6 holes.

  14. #283
    Miami Redhawks Redhook's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    2,257

    Re: Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

    Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I didn't make anything, shot 72-72-71 at Cooks Creek, New Albany Links, and the Players Club.

    Hook, I ran into Jeff Olsen (and actually bought some lessons off him for my dad for his birthday), and asked him about you. He said he knew you, and he verified what I already knew, that you had some serious game, haha.
    Good shooting overall. It's a good thing when you're disappointed with those scores because one day you'll break thru and shoot a bunch of 60's.

    Jeff and I will be playing in the Ohio Cup in the near future at Columbus CC. It's the top Southern Ohio pros against Northern Ohio pros Ryder Cup style. It'll be fun. And our team is stacked. I'd venture to guess our team could beat just about any section team in the country. It's that good.

    Oh, by the way, my game has been in the crapper this year. I just didn't get anything going. I'm glad the year is just about over so I can refresh for next year.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

    www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

  15. #284
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    16

    Re: Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

    I've only played 3 times this year. We have a family tournament every July 4th with 30+ members. Next year is our 50th anniversary!! Just had a new baby so that's taking up most of my time now. Besides I rolled my ankle a few weeks ago and still getting over it. Nearly broke it 6 years ago, and nearly did the same thing this time. I really like Shaker Run GC in Cincy!!

  16. #285
    Miami Redhawks Redhook's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    2,257

    Re: Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

    Quote Originally Posted by Dew4192 View Post
    I've only played 3 times this year. We have a family tournament every July 4th with 30+ members. Next year is our 50th anniversary!! Just had a new baby so that's taking up most of my time now. Besides I rolled my ankle a few weeks ago and still getting over it. Nearly broke it 6 years ago, and nearly did the same thing this time. I really like Shaker Run GC in Cincy!!
    Sorry to hear about your ankle. If you like Shaker, don't play there this year. It'll ruin your thoughts on the course. Most of their greens are burned out. And, play Stonelick Hills, in Batavia, when you get a chance. It's similar to Shaker, but way better.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

    www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.


Turn Off Ads?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25