Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

Re: Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

It's a good time to be an Ohio club pro. I played Scioto CC yesterday, which was awesome. I'm playing Columbus CC the next 3 days in the Ohio Cup and then I get to play Brookside CC Monday. Lucky me!
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    It's a good time to be an Ohio club pro. I played Scioto CC yesterday, which was awesome. I'm playing Columbus CC the next 3 days in the Ohio Cup and then I get to play Brookside CC Monday. Lucky me!
    And I almost forgot the best day of all: our employee scramble at Sharon Woods Sunday.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Is Brookside in Canton or Columbus? There is a nice country club right by my in-laws in Canton but I can't think of its name.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Is Brookside in Canton or Columbus? There is a nice country club right by my in-laws in Canton but I can't think of its name.
    It's in Columbus. Great course.

Sorry to hear about your ankle. If you like Shaker, don't play there this year. It'll ruin your thoughts on the course. Most of their greens are burned out. And, play Stonelick Hills, in Batavia, when you get a chance. It's similar to Shaker, but way better.
    Just played Stonelick about 2 weeks ago. We play it every year for a corporate scramble and it is always in immaculate shape. Probably my favorite course in the entire area. Little pricey but well worth it.

Finally pulled the trigger this weekend on some new irons/wedges. The Ping Tour Fitting Trailer was out at the Golf Ranch this weekend so I went to check it out. If anyone ever has a chance to check out of of these trailers I would highly recommend it, it was awesome! Ended up ordering 4-PW Ping Anser's Yellow dot with Project X6.5 shafts along with 50-56-60 Anser wedges. They were the purest feeling clubs I have ever hit. Big upgrade over my Titleist 981s that are about 12 years old. I can't wait to get them in and give them a try!

Is Brookside in Canton or Columbus?
    Yes.

There's a Brookside in both cities. I've never played the Canton one, but it's supposed to be awesome. It's ranked pretty high up in the state, well ahead of the Columbus one.

Yes.

There's a Brookside in both cities. I've never played the Canton one, but it's supposed to be awesome. It's ranked pretty high up in the state, well ahead of the Columbus one.
    My father-in-law is newer to golf. He really got into it about 5 or 6 years ago when he sold his bike and started playing in a couple of leagues. A couple of years ago we were out in San Diego and played Torrey Pines and his comment about it was "they just got lucky with a nice piece of land." He however has raved about this Brookside CC which apparently had a redesign happen a few years ago. Said he has never gotten on the course but has always wanted to. He recently played Firestone and told me it was a great course and not "just lucky with a nice piece of land." Although I do believe the spend a disproportionate amount of time in the sand.

My father-in-law is newer to golf. He really got into it about 5 or 6 years ago when he sold his bike and started playing in a couple of leagues. A couple of years ago we were out in San Diego and played Torrey Pines and his comment about it was "they just got lucky with a nice piece of land." He however has raved about this Brookside CC which apparently had a redesign happen a few years ago. Said he has never gotten on the course but has always wanted to. He recently played Firestone and told me it was a great course and not "just lucky with a nice piece of land." Although I do believe the spend a disproportionate amount of time in the sand.
    That's funny. I've played Torrey Pines too. Very nice piece of land. Not in the as good as the Monterrey courses, but better than most. The layout at Torrey is decent, nothing special. Firestone is great. I love the North course while the South gets all the recognition. The North is the most fun to play.

With a big round today Luke Donald could end up leading both the PGA Tour and the European tour in money won this year. That strikes me as pretty impressive. I wonder if that has ever been done before?

Luke Donald at -8 through 16 today to grab a two-stroke lead on the back nine. Cha-ching.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    With a big round today Luke Donald could end up leading both the PGA Tour and the European tour in money won this year. That strikes me as pretty impressive. I wonder if that has ever been done before?
    It hasn't been done before which I've heard is the main reason why he played Disney. And yes, that was incredibly impressive.

I almost had a REALLY cool golf story to tell, but I'll have to settle for just pretty cool. The last Nationwide event of the year before their version of the tour championship is held here in Jacksonville and I've played the Pro Am the last 2 years. Last year I played with David Mathis, who wound up winning the tournament, jumping him from 35th to 12th on the money list getting him his tour card (which he just kept this year).

One year later, I play with Jonas Blixt who was 9th on the money list coming in. He was a super nice guy and talked to us the entire time about just about everything. He's just a kid and this is the first year he's ever made any real money and it was all pretty much the last 3 months, so he was just some kid trying to get by. He was in 2nd one shot off the lead heading into the final round and made the turn with a one shot lead playing pretty flawless golf. He bogeys 10 and 11, birdies 12, then doubles 13 to get 2 shots behind. He ties it up again to have the leader birdied 16 and 17 to pull ahead. He lost by one stroke. The double on 13 killed him. I don't know if he hit one in the hazard or something, but that hole is one of the easier ones on the course. It's a fairly wide fairway. It's the one hole he hit a big drive on in the Pro Am and was about 100 out for his approach. He must have air mailed his tee shot or wound up with a bad lie in that nasty rough there.

Would have been super cool to have my Pro Am partner win the thing 2 straight years. They'd have been begging to play with me next year.
    Last edited by MWM; 10-23-2011 at 08:35 PM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post

The double on 13 killed him. I don't know if he hit one in the hazard or something, but that hole is one of the easier ones on the course. It's a fairly wide fairway. It's the one hole he hit a big drive on in the Pro Am and was about 100 out for his approach. He must have air mailed his tee shot or wound up with a bad lie in that nasty rough there.
    He hit the worst iron shot, not counting a shank, I've seen on tv in a long, long time. He was into the wind hitting a 7 iron from the middle of the fairway. The pin was middle right. He pulled the ball so far left it went into the water. It was easily 40 yards left of the flag.

On the flip side, Jonas looks like a guy who really knows how to play the game. He's a very good player. I just worry about his off-the-planet misses. He needs to clean those up to be successful on Tour.

Has anyone played Legendary Run in here lately? Played it in a Golf Channel Am Tour event yesterday and the greens were fairly rough. I know it's the fall but it seemed like they had some kind of disease on them and they had 1 hole completely closed and 2 others with temporary greens. I remember that course always being in good shape a couple years back.

He hit the worst iron shot, not counting a shank, I've seen on tv in a long, long time. He was into the wind hitting a 7 iron from the middle of the fairway. The pin was middle right. He pulled the ball so far left it went into the water. It was easily 40 yards left of the flag.

On the flip side, Jonas looks like a guy who really knows how to play the game. He's a very good player. I just worry about his off-the-planet misses. He needs to clean those up to be successful on Tour.
    Yeah, I was out of town so unable to actually go on Sunday, but one my close colleagues who sits right by me was playing with the guy who won and followed the final pairing on Sunday. I was confused on how he could have doubled that particular hole and he said he hit his approach into the water, which made no sense to me, but now it does. He's a great putter, something like 2nd on the NW tour this year. I can't imagine the pressure these guys play under, but he does have all the makings of a real solid golfer.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Turn Off Ads?