Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 32 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

Re: Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I often just shake my head when I see a pro hit a cavity backed club when they used to hit blades.
    I'm with you. I love blades. I currently play the Titleist 712 MB's and will play blades as long as I can. I don't like the bigger looking iron heads.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    I'm with you. I love blades. I currently play the Titleist 712 MB's and will play blades as long as I can. I don't like the bigger looking iron heads.
    What happened to Cleveland?
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    What happened to Cleveland?
    Free is for me!
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Free is for me!
    So you switched sponsors. Understood.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

For me, the 1st choice was X100's, then Project X 6.5 or 7.0, then KBS something. I went with the X100's because I've played them before, I like the harder feel and I like a flatter ball flight.
    Yes, but you're playing a different game than us mere mortals. Even those on this thread who are low single digits aren't playing the same game you are. A boardy feeling shaft and a flatter ball flight isn't usually the best for us amateurs, at least from my reading. You may have a different opinion as someone who actually teaches amateurs and sees the results.

But if someone has a pretty violent transition where they're jerking the shaft the other way getting to max speed earlier without much lag, the stiffer shots work better. But those who have more lag and a gradual building up of swing speed will generally fare better with softer shafts. I read that at one point Nick Price played stiffer shafts than John Daly due to this very thing.

Yes, but you're playing a different game than us mere mortals. Even those on this thread who are low single digits aren't playing the same game you are. A boardy feeling shaft and a flatter ball flight isn't usually the best for us amateurs, at least from my reading. You may have a different opinion as someone who actually teaches amateurs and sees the results.

But if someone has a pretty violent transition where they're jerking the shaft the other way getting to max speed earlier without much lag, the stiffer shots work better. But those who have more lag and a gradual building up of swing speed will generally fare better with softer shafts. I read that at one point Nick Price played stiffer shafts than John Daly due to this very thing.
    I agree with you 100%. The shafts I use should not be used for the majority of amateurs. Most amateurs need a softer higher launching shaft. For whatever reason, I like the harder feel. I want a shaft that performs when I go at hard under the gun.

So you switched sponsors. Understood.
    I still love Cleveland products but we drastically limited the purchasing of their products at our course meaning I would've had to pay for their stuff. I don't like paying for clubs. Lol! Additionally, I wouldn't have had a chance for performance incentives. Double negative.

That makes sense. I used to have an all Cleveland bag except putter and I thought it was good quality. Their original Launcher Titanium driver was awesome and the best at that time, IMO. And the original launcher gold fairway woods were still in the bags I'd some good players several years after their launch. And I wouldn't use another wedge. The Hibore XL driver is probably the best driver I've ever hit and stayed in my bag for a long to until I got this Ping setup with higher loft.

But since I became somewhat of a club wh0re I found other setups that worked better. The tour edge exotics are widely considered the best fairway woods out there I gotta sweet deal on one and it's the best I ever played. It just feels different coming off the head. I had the Cleveland launchers in my bag for 6 years. I also hit a few forged iron sets plenty of times and just loved the feel. When I've been fitted and when I put the tape over my irons, I rarely am off the sweet spot. My misses are usually fat and pulls but I'm still hitting the center of the face. So I bought these AP2s and loved them. Hit the higher and a touch further with same consistency up until recent struggles. I love cavity backed forged irons. They fit me very well.

Cleveland?!?! Years ago my buddy got a set of Cleveland Vas irons. I was playing the Tommy Armour 855's at the time and I took one look at those irons and almost puked. From that point on I have never really given them the time of day when it comes to clubs.

Over the past decade or so I have used primarily Titleist woods. I liked the look and the feel of the clubs. I wanted something that felt solid in my hands but also was a little heavier. For about a year someone gave me a free Taylor Made Burner and that thing was way too lite for me. For the past year I have been hitting a Ping G10 driver which I think is very similar to a Titleist. My 3 wood right now is a Calaway Diablo that I love. Its ironic because I never used to be able to look right at a Calaway wood. My uncle still plays one of the old hawkeye and just looking down at the club bothers me. I don't like how the shaft goes straight into the club head without a neck. Yea its those little things at the setup that can make a huge difference.

Eventually when I get a new set of irons I will probably look at either Mizuno or Titleist with a tad more cavity backing than my current set. But after over a decade of playing the same irons and probably a decade more it will take some time getting used to a different looking iron.

Cleveland has always made good quality clubs that stack up against the others. Their Cleveland Launcher driver was a big step forward for drivers and the best one out there when it came out. Their fairway woods of the late 2000s were also as good as it got. Their blades were generally considered high quality by serious golfers for most of their history. And we all know about their wedges.

They lost their way with irons for a while, but their CG7 irons that came out about years ago got them back in the game. I played the CG7 tours for 3 years and loved them. And I hit most of the irons out there. I think they've lost their way a little the last few years as they've started to go after the higher HC golfers and have gotten away from making good quality, good value stuff for the more serious golfer, which is where they always did well. Their focus on making woods the lightest out there has not been received well and I'm not sure why they thought that would be a good idea. I haven't seen anything from Cleveland the last few years that I find overly compelling.

Cleveland?!?! Years ago my buddy got a set of Cleveland Vas irons. I was playing the Tommy Armour 855's at the time and I took one look at those irons and almost puked. From that point on I have never really given them the time of day when it comes to clubs.
    Wow. You're really out of touch with clubs if you think Vas when someone mentions Cleveland.. That was over 15 years ago. That'd be like judging the current Reds team for drafting drafting Chris Gruler or David Espinosa years ago. Yes, the Vas irons were hideous, but their irons have been awesome for over 10 years now.

Cleveland has some of the best looking irons out there. Their blades are, IMO, the best-looking blades on the market. Their CG models are good as well. They have good-looking and good performing clubs for every type of golfer. Check them out and change that opinion!!

Wow. You're really out of touch with clubs if you think Vas when someone mentions Cleveland.. That was over 15 years ago. That'd be like judging the current Reds team for drafting drafting Chris Gruler or David Espinosa years ago. Yes, the Vas irons were hideous, but their irons have been awesome for over 10 years now.

Cleveland has some of the best looking irons out there. Their blades are, IMO, the best-looking blades on the market. Their CG models are good as well. They have good-looking and good performing clubs for every type of golfer. Check them out and change that opinion!!
    Don't call me out of touch!!!! I probably bought my current set of irons shortly after the vas irons came out. It probably has been almost 15 years since I bought my irons. I just don't see the value in spending over $1000 every 5 years or so on a new set of irons. I am the kind of guy who loves those spots on the iron club face that looks black becasue of usage. My dad did play a set of cleveland irons a few years back but they didn't last too long.

I am sure that a new set would be better but as it is I have no issues with my clubs, haven't lost any legnth, and am comfortable and confident with them.

Then don't spend $1000. I'm not sure why you think that's what it would cost. If you want to get brand new, top of the line you could spend that amount. But if you want new irons that are of good quality, you don't need to spend anywhere near that amount. You could a very quality set of one or two year old irons for probably half that, or not much more.

Don't call me out of touch!!!! I probably bought my current set of irons shortly after the vas irons came out. It probably has been almost 15 years since I bought my irons. I just don't see the value in spending over $1000 every 5 years or so on a new set of irons. I am the kind of guy who loves those spots on the iron club face that looks black becasue of usage. My dad did play a set of cleveland irons a few years back but they didn't last too long.

I am sure that a new set would be better but as it is I have no issues with my clubs, haven't lost any legnth, and am comfortable and confident with them.
    I knew I'd get a nice response from you after that comment.

I like using clubs for a long time too. I used a set of Titleist 962b's for almost 6 years playing full-time so I get the comfort factor you have with yours. Irons can last a long time.

On a different note, it doesn't cost that much to get a good set like MWM said. If it were me, and if I had to pay for clubs, I'd spend about $50 to learn my specs and then I'd search on ebay for a set that was a year or two old that matched my specs for under $350.

To summarize, Corey Pavin won the US Open with Cleveland VAS irons.

Not to break up the club conversation, but I need to pat myself on the back for a minute. I'm a decent golfer, not great, but not terrible. I typically shoot in the mid to upper 80's. Two years ago I was pretty bad, and I still am bad at times. But two years ago for the first time I started studying the golf swing and teaching myself on the range. Anyways, last week in my 9 hole league at my local course I played better than I ever have and shot even par 36. This is after I started with a double bogey. My best 9 hole round prior to that was a 40, so this was a big deal for me. I birdied 2 of my last 3 holes, including the last one. Had about a 4 footer to get to even and it looked like a 15 footer knowing it would get me to par. I really didn't putt that great either, missed about 3 putts from roughly 7 feet. Irons were just deadly.

Ok, I'm done reliving my experience and bragging, you can now return to your previous club discussion.

Turn Off Ads?