Turn Off Ads?
Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 222829303132

Thread: Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

Re: Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

I shot my second sub-90 round in almost a decade last week. I used to regularly break 90 back when I first got out of college and was playing a ton. Unfortunately, after law school the real world (marriage, children, real job) hit, and I haven't played more than 7 or 8 rounds in a year in a long time. I'm mostly a 95-105 golfer these days, but for some reason this course in Bella Vista, Arkansas brings out the best in me. I've played it three times, and for two of those rounds I've had an 85 and an 89, both times out of nowhere. And this isn't the most difficult course in the world for sure, but it's no easier than a lot of the courses I might go out and shoot 102 on this weekend, either.

Weird game.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Playing TPC River's Bend when I'm in town in a couple of weeks....pretty excited about that.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Playing TPC River's Bend when I'm in town in a couple of weeks....pretty excited about that.
    Good course and perfectly conditioned. Our Section Championship is there the next two days. I'm looking forward to playing there too.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

After making a decent attempt to get my game back in form, life got in the way. The last month, I've spent more days at the Pentagon than I have on the course. Went to the range last night to hit balls for the first time in four weeks, and it looked like I was brand new to the game.

I had hoped to play 18 today. But I think another range session is in my immediate future to find some consistency in my swing. Starting over. Again. It's especially frustrating because I had been pretty happy with my ball striking.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Shot my first sub-100 round of the season this weekend.

I finally gave up trying to hit the hybrids that came with my set (3, 4, and 5) and replaced them with old, standard irons from the hand-me down set I played with as a teenager. It's made a huge difference in my overall play.

I'll never understand why people like hybrids. They're nothing but missed-shot machines for me.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Played Beckett Ridge several weeks ago and shot a 109. Yes, that's right, a 109. My long game was beyond wild, and wildness is bad news on a course like Beckett Ridge. My putting was actually pretty solid otherwise the round would have been closer to 115.

Then this past weekend I played the Mill and shot a respectable 91. While the Mill is an easier course than Beckett Ridge, my long game kept me in play and safe nearly the entire round. My putting was flat awful though. If my putting game at the Mill was as good as it was at Beckett Ridge, I could have shot an 86 or 87.

Guess that's what happens when you only play six or seven times a year though. If I could ever have one round where every piece of my game is playing fairly well, I'd shoot an 85 or better.

But in 15+ years of playing golf, I've never had that round.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Shot my first sub-100 round of the season this weekend.

I finally gave up trying to hit the hybrids that came with my set (3, 4, and 5) and replaced them with old, standard irons from the hand-me down set I played with as a teenager. It's made a huge difference in my overall play.

I'll never understand why people like hybrids. They're nothing but missed-shot machines for me.
    I have two hybrids - a 3 and 4 - but I rarely use them. I'll never use them off the tee and prefer to either hit a standard wood or just use a 5-iron.

Really the only time I ever use them is trying to come back from an awful tee shot off a long par 5. At that point, I'm just looking to get some yardage so I can have a reasonable approach on my third shot. If I happen to hit a nice tee shot on a long par 5 I can usually have a nice approach shot at the green with a 5 or 6 iron (note: this doesn't mean I'm usually on the green in two, rather I'm usually way left or right and having to deal with the good ole short game, which is another animal entirely).
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    I have two hybrids - a 3 and 4 - but I rarely use them. I'll never use them off the tee and prefer to either hit a standard wood or just use a 5-iron.

Really the only time I ever use them is trying to come back from an awful tee shot off a long par 5. At that point, I'm just looking to get some yardage so I can have a reasonable approach on my third shot. If I happen to hit a nice tee shot on a long par 5 I can usually have a nice approach shot at the green with a 5 or 6 iron (note: this doesn't mean I'm usually on the green in two, rather I'm usually way left or right and having to deal with the good ole short game, which is another animal entirely).
    I carry 2, a 19 degree hybrid and also a hybrid driving 2 iron. I like both clubs, my driving 2 iron is my go to club off the tee. My 19 degree is one that I use anywhere from around 205+. My only problem with the hybrids is that I hit the ball high and those go higher than your usual iron. So at times my punch shots can be adventurous especially when I use a 4 iron.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I carry 2, a 19 degree hybrid and also a hybrid driving 2 iron. I like both clubs, my driving 2 iron is my go to club off the tee. My 19 degree is one that I use anywhere from around 205+. My only problem with the hybrids is that I hit the ball high and those go higher than your usual iron. So at times my punch shots can be adventurous especially when I use a 4 iron.
    That's my biggest problem with hybrids, they go too high. I've dumped the one hybrid I had. My regular iron set has 3-pw and then I bought a 2iron that's 3/4" extended and once I got used to it I can really hit that thing. I started hitting that 2iron 250 off the tee and that's when I decided I didn't need the hybrid any longer.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

The hybrids are going to high because the shaft isn't heavy enough or stiff enough. I have steel X-100's in all of my hybrids. IMO, hybrids are replacing accuracy clubs and the extra few yards I'd get from graphite isn't worth it compared to the control I get from steel. Unless you can get fitted like a tour player (their graphite shafts are getting tipped to perfection) you might want to try steel in your hybrids if you have some power.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    The hybrids are going to high because the shaft isn't heavy enough or stiff enough. I have steel X-100's in all of my hybrids. IMO, hybrids are replacing accuracy clubs and the extra few yards I'd get from graphite isn't worth it compared to the control I get from steel. Unless you can get fitted like a tour player (their graphite shafts are getting tipped to perfection) you might want to try steel in your hybrids if you have some power.
    I actually have 2 hybrids, both Titleist, one is a steel shafted 17 degree and the other one I have mentioned is a 19 degree that does have a graphite shaft. I rotate my bag with what I need at the current time. I pretty much choose between my driving 2 iron, a strong Callaway 3 wood, and two hybrids mentioned above. For my game distance isn't an issue and I am focused on getting the ball in play off the tee. I am a strong iron player (well up until the past month) so getting the ball within the treeline is of utmost importance.

I have taken my 3 iron out of the bag because I have found hybrids are easier to hit. The one big difference is when you miss it, a hybrid miss is much better than a 3 iron blade miss. But where I find myself in trouble is if I have to punch a shot out under trees without a 3 iron. That can become a little difficult.

Played two rounds this weekend after having not played for two years. A few observations:

1) Once you know how to swing a golf club, you don't forget how, apparently.
    2) Having a pre shot routine helps to remind your body and brain what to do on every shot.
    3) Keeping things simple is huge: after a long time away from the game, I determined that it would be best to focus on two swing thoughts on every shot, a full turn and an easy tempo.
    4) The short game is what leaves you first. From 100 yards in on Sunday I struggled, but by Monday it had much improved. Same for putting.

All in all, a fun weekend. Played Miami Whitewater Sunday. That course is tired, poor tee boxes and lots of unrepaired ball marks on the greens, thanks to all the fellows with fancy golf outfits, expensive clubs and zero golf etiquette out there. I was taught to always fix my own mark and to find another to fix as well. I still like the course though.

Monday, I played in an outing at Western Hills CC. I have always liked playing there, a little parkland style course, narrow, always in good shape. We played a shamble format; I still had some inconsistency, mostly with uneven lies, of which there are plenty at WHCC. But I drove very well and hit my irons as well as I ever have; missed a closest to the pin on a 176 yd par three by two inches. Best hole was a par five, where I had to fade one around a tree from 130, then putted in from the fringe for a birdy. It was a good time, raising money for a good cause. Playing well was icing on the cake.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

14. Likes:

Razor Shines (09-17-2013)

Turn Off Ads?