Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

Re: Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Thanks. Some good swing thoughts in there.

Are you saying the further up in your stance you move it, the more likely you are to block it? I would think it would be the other way around, but maybe that's my problem.
    I've thought about that a lot, and I think the answer is yes. My hands have to remain in front of the ball in order to strike it well and as the tee moves forward, I feel like my hands arrive late. For me, keeping the ball just a shade back of my shirt logo is the right place. It seems like getting it forward of there causes me to slide forward, trapping my hands behind the ball so that the club head is not aligned with the target but rather right of it. It's not a slice, just a straight block.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Anybody ever play Glenview from the tips? Our foursome usually hits from the blues, but last Friday I guess we got brave (stupid) and decided to see what it was like from the blacks, which were allllll the way back. Man, that's like a different course from back there. I remember one hole (6 on West) added about 80 yards and a completely different angle to the tee shot.

I'm not sure we'll be doing that again either. One guy notched a 113, and that was being generous.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I've thought about that a lot, and I think the answer is yes. My hands have to remain in front of the ball in order to strike it well and as the tee moves forward, I feel like my hands arrive late. For me, keeping the ball just a shade back of my shirt logo is the right place. It seems like getting it forward of there causes me to slide forward, trapping my hands behind the ball so that the club head is not aligned with the target but rather right of it. It's not a slice, just a straight block.
    Wow this helped a ton. Played yesterday, and was just ripping the ball 300+ off the tee, dead straight. Had I not made SEVEN bogies hitting approaches from less than 120, I would have gone a lot lower than 76. I don't have a sand wedge right now, and I'm giving back shots left and right. Very frustrating.

But thanks for helping me bust out of a slump Sun Deck !

Shot a 81 the other day at a course here in Virginia. Struck the ball well off the tee just made some mistakes on my approaches. alot of times its something simple like just not getting my club faced closed and shooting the ball of too the right on simple little pitch shots i think i try to be to slow and perfect on those easy shots and it really screws me up

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Wow this helped a ton. Played yesterday, and was just ripping the ball 300+ off the tee, dead straight. Had I not made SEVEN bogies hitting approaches from less than 120, I would have gone a lot lower than 76. I don't have a sand wedge right now, and I'm giving back shots left and right. Very frustrating.

But thanks for helping me bust out of a slump Sun Deck !
    That's awesome! I can't get anywhere near that length; I'm thrilled if I'm driving the ball 270.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I shot a 64 the other day.

You guys are talking about 9 holes, right?

Oh, never mind.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Shot a 57 on the front 9 and a 55 on the back 9 here yesterday:

http://www.golflink.com/golf-courses...?course=882645

Best golf I've played all summer. I've been hitting this wedge called an approach wedge and it's the best I can hit a club. Anything around the green I'm getting accurate in knocking it near the hole with. The short game is where I'm shaving strokes. The drives are still a work in progress. Playing 9 after work tonight.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

I shanked a 5-iron today in a tournament. Yep, pros do it to! I'm usually good for a few shanks a year. Most of the times it's with a wedge though. Today, was the ever-so-rare 5-iron hosel rocket. I was cruising around Hamilton Elks, 1 under thru 5. I hit a good drive on 6 and only had 207, 196 front, for my second shot on a Par 5. Then, ol' Shankapotamous came out. Unfortunately, too, my ball ended up in some fescue about 70 right of the green. After slapping it around a few times, I ended up with a 6. Thankfully, that was the only blemish on the scorecard en route to a 68. All in all, a good day and that shank didn't slow me down too much.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Went to Royal American over the weekend with my in-law. Shot a 106 or something (we werent exactly scoring on PGA rules)

I usually golf one or two times a year so I faired pretty well I think.

I tee'd one and tried to swing as hard as I could and topped in into the shag about 20 yards... so I tee'd another and operated smooth and controlled and we measured it 260 (which is big for me)... I was amazed how that worked. Everything I hit slices and my irons all suck super bad.

But im told I have a pretty swing, just needs practice and learn a solid repeatable stroke.
    Last edited by smith288; 08-03-2010 at 03:19 PM.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Heading to the driving range tonight to fix my iron play for the weekend (hopefully, but not probable).
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

anyone know the best sites on their to buy golf equipment for good prices. Clubs , bags , etc.

Quote Originally Posted by aubashbrother View Post
    anyone know the best sites on their to buy golf equipment for good prices. Clubs , bags , etc.
    www.tgw.com is a pretty good site to buy everything new.

If you don't mind playing a used club check out ebay. You can get "last years model" driver for about a quarter of the price. Instead of paying $400 for a new driver, wait a year or two and buy a "used" one for about $80.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aubashbrother View Post
    www.rockbottomgolf.com

I bought my current driver (Callaway Hyper-X) for about 65% off retail.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

thanks guys

Turn Off Ads?