Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

Re: Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    You do have a point here. A bad swing or a bad golfer isn't going to get good by magically buying new golf clubs. All that does is inflate the manufacturer's pockets.

I guess my point is that with the help of techonology I went from the same swing and gained 20 years with the driver. I hit my driving 2 iron more accurately than I ever hit a three wood (and the 3 wood used to be my favorite club in the bag). To me its much easier playing from 140 than 160 and 180 than 200, etc.
    I may have painted with too broad a brush, as everyone probably benefits somewhat from technology improvements, hybrids being a great example. For a duffer, I'd always recommend spending money on lessons first, practicing the short game second, and new clubs third.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

shot a 52 today..... should have been a 48 as we began to play the front 9 over again but stopped by rain after 12 holes and I lowered the first two holes the second time around by several strokes each. I'm getting closer to bogey golf by some of the very tips in this thread. I two-putted or better all day long.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Shot a 61 in 9 holes after work last night.

3 things killed me, actually 4:
    -Getting over the flu... still woozy and dizzy.
    -Played a WIDE OPEN course on Saturday and shot a 52; last night's course was full of trees.
    -Walked instead of riding.... took a lot out of me
    -Forgot my glasses.... course felt blurry all over... just wasn't sharp. Can't do things like golf without my glasses.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Gonna play 9 tom. at a local course then saturday play my 18 holes with my fantasy football buddies before we hold our draft that night. Good times

Playing the Golf Club of Dublin for free Sunday. They overbooked a night of tee times because they forgot to have their league in the computer. I got a $65 round out of it so I can't complain to much.

I'm toolsy.

Played horribly today at Polo Fields in L'ville. Easily my worst round in 3 years. Shot 108. My biggest problem was hitting grounders off the tee. I was pounding the ball into the ground 6-8 inches in front of the tee with the driver. I have no idea why I started doing that or what to do to fix it.

I forgot to mention how I played last week. Ever since I got my new set of clubs after the fire last year, I've not hit my new irons well. That changed. I was pin hunting with the scoring irons. I was consistently a club longer than I used to be (was hitting my 5-iron 200-205). It's nice to finally get comfortable with new clubs.

I was a little inconsistent here and there, but nothing beyond what I'd expect from not hitting a ball in 2.5 months. I even had a few solo birdies. So all in all, it was a good day. I just need to get playing more. Work, school, and a fiancée tend to get in the way.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I may have painted with too broad a brush, as everyone probably benefits somewhat from technology improvements, hybrids being a great example. For a duffer, I'd always recommend spending money on lessons first, practicing the short game second, and new clubs third.
    I use my only hybrid (a four) more than anything -great club. I'm already wanting to get another. But yeah, lessons with a new guy helped the overall game way more.

Quote Originally Posted by FutureRedsGM View Post
    Played horribly today at Polo Fields in L'ville. Easily my worst round in 3 years. Shot 108. My biggest problem was hitting grounders off the tee. I was pounding the ball into the ground 6-8 inches in front of the tee with the driver. I have no idea why I started doing that or what to do to fix it.
    I try to slow down when I'm topping balls. For me, timing and rhythm are everything.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I'm toolsy.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I try to slow down when I'm topping balls. For me, timing and rhythm are everything.
    I wasn't topping. I was hitting them flush, just straight into the ground. I think my hands are so far out in front of the club face that the club gets "delofted" and hits straight down.

Ahhh, worst round of my life yesterday! The dreaded shank came out of hiding to ruin my day! Seriously, I have never shanked like that in my life! Everything was a shank, it was miserable.

I have spent my morning googling trying to figure out the problem, but I am dumbfounded. I know I had an outside in swing plane because all of my divots were pointing left, and I tried to focus on rounding out my swing plane and I was still shanking everything. I have never had this problem to this extent. Please help! I'm desperate!

EDIT: OK, so I've learned from various youtube videos that I have the "classic amateur over-the-top swing plane". Got some good drills to do that should help me shallow out the swing and hopefully eliminate yesterday's shank session from my game. I've been playing golf for several years, and just a few weeks ago I was playing pretty well, but after yesterday I feel like a vulnerable beginner. Any pointers are still welcome.
    Last edited by Redlegs23; 08-22-2010 at 10:13 AM.

Strange day yesterday. Spent the morning carrying furniture up two flights of stairs. Man, my back was really barking by the time we were done.

Ran out to try to get in a round in the afternoon before the rain started.

Birdied two of the first three holes, 3 of the first six. Got to the 8th, lipped out for number 4, then the skies opened up and had to run for cover. Reminded me of the scene in Caddyshack. Had the lightning not been there, I'd have played on. But it was pretty fierce.

Going to try again today.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs23 View Post
    Ahhh, worst round of my life yesterday! The dreaded shank came out of hiding to ruin my day! Seriously, I have never shanked like that in my life! Everything was a shank, it was miserable.

I have spent my morning googling trying to figure out the problem, but I am dumbfounded. I know I had an outside in swing plane because all of my divots were pointing left, and I tried to focus on rounding out my swing plane and I was still shanking everything. I have never had this problem to this extent. Please help! I'm desperate!

EDIT: OK, so I've learned from various youtube videos that I have the "classic amateur over-the-top swing plane". Got some good drills to do that should help me shallow out the swing and hopefully eliminate yesterday's shank session from my game. I've been playing golf for several years, and just a few weeks ago I was playing pretty well, but after yesterday I feel like a vulnerable beginner. Any pointers are still welcome.
    A better path will decrease your chances of shanking it, but closing the clubface much sooner on your downswing will cure the problem.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Strange day yesterday. Spent the morning carrying furniture up two flights of stairs. Man, my back was really barking by the time we were done.

Ran out to try to get in a round in the afternoon before the rain started.

Birdied two of the first three holes, 3 of the first six. Got to the 8th, lipped out for number 4, then the skies opened up and had to run for cover. Reminded me of the scene in Caddyshack. Had the lightning not been there, I'd have played on. But it was pretty fierce.

Going to try again today.
    Ah Rat Farts!!

I actually just started golfing this year. My friend and I figured that we're too old already (20) to keep trying to do stuff we tried to do in high school, so why not pick up golf?

We figure by the time our other friends figure this out themselves, we'll already be decent, haha.

It's been tough so far, my best score I've got is a 70 on 9 holes at Woodlands out here where I live. Very nice course though. I've yet to play 18 holes at once yet, I want to be a little better before I go for the marathon haha.
    Let's make some noise!

Turn Off Ads?