Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

Re: Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

Quote Originally Posted by Sean_CaseyRules View Post
    I actually just started golfing this year. My friend and I figured that we're too old already (20) to keep trying to do stuff we tried to do in high school, so why not pick up golf?

We figure by the time our other friends figure this out themselves, we'll already be decent, haha.

It's been tough so far, my best score I've got is a 70 on 9 holes at Woodlands out here where I live. Very nice course though. I've yet to play 18 holes at once yet, I want to be a little better before I go for the marathon haha.
    When I started, my dad said rather nonchalantly, "Stick with it- after about five thousand swings, things will start to make sense".
    He wasn't far off. Golf is not a difficult game to learn, as long as you are committed to learning.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    When I started, my dad said rather nonchalantly, "Stick with it- after about five thousand swings, things will start to make sense".
    He wasn't far off. Golf is not a difficult game to learn, as long as you are committed to learning.
    I try to go to the range whenever I get some free time, but it just so happens that I get bored out there too easy. I think it'd be better if I went with someone who knew how to help me, haha
    Let's make some noise!

I try to go to the range whenever I get some free time, but it just so happens that I get bored out there too easy. I think it'd be better if I went with someone who knew how to help me, haha
    I don't go to the range. Instead, I go to the local muni by myself on a weekday morning and play 2-3 balls per shot. Much better practice than the range for me.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Take your ipod and listen to it while you hit balls. It makes it less boring.

Need a driver recommendation.

I purchased a set of R7's a few years back....and the driver has never come around for me.
    I used an 8.5 degree TM for 15 years....and loved it. Had my clubs stolen....and picked up a used Bazooka, which I hit a mile. It was a 10.5 loft....but I could crush it.

I'm 6'4....so my swing arc really calls for a lower degree driver. I often hit even the bazooka so high....that it backed up on the fairway. Not good.

I went to GolfSmith today, and was flat out overwhelmed with what I saw.

I'm most likely going to get something used, to keep it reasonable cost wise.

Any great recommendations?
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    Need a driver recommendation.

I purchased a set of R7's a few years back....and the driver has never come around for me.
    I used an 8.5 degree TM for 15 years....and loved it. Had my clubs stolen....and picked up a used Bazooka, which I hit a mile. It was a 10.5 loft....but I could crush it.

I'm 6'4....so my swing arc really calls for a lower degree driver. I often hit even the bazooka so high....that it backed up on the fairway. Not good.

I went to GolfSmith today, and was flat out overwhelmed with what I saw.

I'm most likely going to get something used, to keep it reasonable cost wise.

Any great recommendations?
    The kind of driver isn't that important. The shaft is. All the major companies today make outstanding drivers. You just want to find one that you like to look at and like the feel. I'm positive each company could get you into a driver you'd like.

So, once you narrow it down to a company, like TM, you then have to get the right loft and shaft. With your height and what you posted you probably need something around 9.0 of loft and a stiff or extra stiff shaft to knock the ball flight down. Do you know what your swing speed is? If it's high, like 110+ you will probably want extra stiff. If not, stiff will do just fine. If you're looking to lower your ball flight, try to find a shaft that has a higher kick/flex point.

If I were you, I'd demo some drivers at a nearby range. I know you want to get a used one to save some cash (pretty smart), but hitting some should help you out with your decision.

Good luck!
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    The kind of driver isn't that important. The shaft is. All the major companies today make outstanding drivers. You just want to find one that you like to look at and like the feel. I'm positive each company could get you into a driver you'd like.

So, once you narrow it down to a company, like TM, you then have to get the right loft and shaft. With your height and what you posted you probably need something around 9.0 of loft and a stiff or extra stiff shaft to knock the ball flight down. Do you know what your swing speed is? If it's high, like 110+ you will probably want extra stiff. If not, stiff will do just fine. If you're looking to lower your ball flight, try to find a shaft that has a higher kick/flex point.

If I were you, I'd demo some drivers at a nearby range. I know you want to get a used one to save some cash (pretty smart), but hitting some should help you out with your decision.

Good luck!
    Excellent Redhook...thanks!
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Played OSU's Scarlet course this past Friday. Talk about a bear. It was tough when I played there last about 6 years ago but Jack Nicklaus came around and rebunkered and lengthened the course. The greens were hard and fast and it was about as well bunkered as you could get. I walked out of there with an 82 and hit the ball pretty well.

If anyone gets a chance to play there I would jump at it. Its probably a top 5 course that I have ever played. That includes the likes of Pebble, Torey Pines, St. Andrews, Muirfield, and Whistling Straights.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Played OSU's Scarlet course this past Friday. Talk about a bear. It was tough when I played there last about 6 years ago but Jack Nicklaus came around and rebunkered and lengthened the course. The greens were hard and fast and it was about as well bunkered as you could get. I walked out of there with an 82 and hit the ball pretty well.

If anyone gets a chance to play there I would jump at it. Its probably a top 5 course that I have ever played. That includes the likes of Pebble, Torey Pines, St. Andrews, Muirfield, and Whistling Straights.
    Really? I played it twice in the state tournament in high school (2001 and 2003) and was terribly unimpressed by it. Maybe there have been some major changes to it, but it isn't anywhere close to Muirfield, or Scioto CC, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Really? I played it twice in the state tournament in high school (2001 and 2003) and was terribly unimpressed by it. Maybe there have been some major changes to it, but it isn't anywhere close to Muirfield, or Scioto CC, IMO.
    The changed around the bunkers and redid some greens. The bunkers now are better positioned and are much better shaped. They are deeper and the sand is consistent throughout.

I have played both Muirfield and Scioto and both courses are more aesthetically pleasing. I think Scarlet is a tougher course than Muirfield and probably Scioto, but I only was able to play Scioto once. We played Scarlet at 7100 and it can be played all the way back at 7500 for tournaments. I am a pretty long hitter and can say I used every club in my bag. For as dry of a summer as we had the condition of the course was top notch.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    The changed around the bunkers and redid some greens. The bunkers now are better positioned and are much better shaped. They are deeper and the sand is consistent throughout.

I have played both Muirfield and Scioto and both courses are more aesthetically pleasing. I think Scarlet is a tougher course than Muirfield and probably Scioto, but I only was able to play Scioto once. We played Scarlet at 7100 and it can be played all the way back at 7500 for tournaments. I am a pretty long hitter and can say I used every club in my bag. For as dry of a summer as we had the condition of the course was top notch.
    Yeah I never thought Scioto was tough. Scarlet is definitely one of the toughest courses I've played, but it's not one of the better ones, and certainly not one of my favorites. No doubt that it is a major challenge. I'm a 2 handicap and I've never broken 80 there in 4 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Yeah I never thought Scioto was tough. Scarlet is definitely one of the toughest courses I've played, but it's not one of the better ones, and certainly not one of my favorites. No doubt that it is a major challenge. I'm a 2 handicap and I've never broken 80 there in 4 rounds.
    I always thought Muirfield was an easier course as well. Fairways are wide as can be. The greens can be tricky and the rough can be a bear but it almost takes a bad drive to hit it in the rough on that course. I really enjoyed playing that course, especially in the US Jr. AM when it cost $12 to play.

A freshman golfer on the Tipp high school girls team had a double eagle and a hole-in-one at Ried South in Springfield. That's only the fifth round in recorded history with a double eagle and a hole-in-one.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    A freshman golfer on the Tipp high school girls team had a double eagle and a hole-in-one at Ried South in Springfield. That's only the fifth round in recorded history with a double eagle and a hole-in-one.
    That's amazing. Really, really amazing. I actually knew that, prior to this girl, there were only 4 because I almost accomplished this ultra-rare feat year's ago. I double-eagled the 13th hole at Brown's Run CC, holing out a 3-iron 2nd shot on the Par 5. Same day, on the 5th hole, my ball stopped one inch short of a hole-in-one. One inch away from joining that small club.

I have done something amazing and lucky though too. I doubt this has happened much in the history of golf. Playing at Stonelick Hills GC in Batavia for the first time (fantastic course btw) a few years ago, I hit a 3-wood to 2 feet, then made the putt for an eagle 3. A few months later, playing the same hole for only the second time in my life, I holed a 5-iron for a double eagle. Eagle, double eagle the first two times I played the hole. Pretty amazing. Next time around, if you were wondering, I only birdied it...lol. I love that hole.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    That's amazing. Really, really amazing. I actually knew that, prior to this girl, there were only 4 because I almost accomplished this ultra-rare feat year's ago. I double-eagled the 13th hole at Brown's Run CC, holing out a 3-iron 2nd shot on the Par 5. Same day, on the 5th hole, my ball stopped one inch short of a hole-in-one. One inch away from joining that small club.

I have done something amazing and lucky though too. I doubt this has happened much in the history of golf. Playing at Stonelick Hills GC in Batavia for the first time (fantastic course btw) a few years ago, I hit a 3-wood to 2 feet, then made the putt for an eagle 3. A few months later, playing the same hole for only the second time in my life, I holed a 5-iron for a double eagle. Eagle, double eagle the first two times I played the hole. Pretty amazing. Next time around, if you were wondering, I only birdied it...lol. I love that hole.
    That is awesome. I'm actually playing Stonelick Hills on Monday in a golf outing. I haven't played a ton of the courses in this area but that is definitely in my top 3 favorites for the area. I've played it about 6 times and every time I have played it, it has been in pristene condition.

Has anyone ever played Elks Run GC? I'm playing there in an outing on Saturday.

Turn Off Ads?