Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Predictions on how Mike Leake will do?

Re: Predictions on how Mike Leake will do?

In Leake's defense, he's getting the rookie hazing on balls and strikes. Umpires are giving him the business, IMO. And I'm not one to grouse about umps.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    In Leake's defense, he's getting the rookie hazing on balls and strikes. Umpires are giving him the business, IMO. And I'm not one to grouse about umps.
    Yeah -- it's not worth complaining about most of the time, but it's criminal the way young pitchers (even ones who turn out to be great starters down the road) get treated by umpires as part of their "unspoken code" about how games are called.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Mike Leake's final line in his major league debut: 6.2 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 7 BB, 5 K.

The seven walks are a shock, I thought it would would take him three starts to reach seven walks, but as others noted, he was around the plate today and wasn't getting the calls that veteran pitchers would probably get.

Oh, and he went 2-for-2 at the plate. He had the two best plate appearances of any Reds hitter today.

Too bad he's going to suffer a loss because of the Reds awful offense.

The Reds will lose because Gorzelanny's a highly underrated pitcher; but Leake won't figure in the decision.
    Not sure a career ERA+ of 90 is "highly underrated," but ok.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Not sure a career ERA+ of 90 is "highly underrated," but ok.
    He's had a bad couple of shortened seasons, no doubt, but the fundamentals he showed early on portended a good pitcher (ability to throw three major league pitches for strikes, 92 MPH FB, lefty). I kind of cringed when the Cubs got him and not the Reds.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Tom Gorzelanny has been one of the worst pitchers in baseball the last couple seasons. The fact that he shut down the Reds tells you all you need to know about the Reds offense, or lack there of.

The Reds will lose because Gorzelanny's a highly underrated pitcher; but Leake won't figure in the decision.

My beer goggles work.

So who had 7 walks and 1 run?

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    So who had 7 walks and 1 run?
    Me, totally me.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Leake has moxie and true guts. I loved how he did not let the umps squeeze zone dictate how he pitched to batters.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

IMO Dusty/Price almost ruined Mr Leake ML debut. the kid was clearly tiring late. he had already thrown a lot of pitches. when he walked Lee & Ramirez he was not near the plate. Dusty was likely trying to see if he could get out of the inning, the Reds come back & Leake get his first major league win. instead he added two walks to Leake's total & if Byrd gets a hold of one its 4-0 bad guys. IMO giving a guy like Harang or Arroyo some rope to see if they can grind out those last few outs is ok but a guy in his big league debut??? use some common sense. lets rip up the rookie's arm & destroy his confidence in one fell swoop!

those seven walks are not as bad as they look considering he got squeezed & was left in too long.

Very impressive poise, as advertised. The kid's a winner.

Very impressive start by Mike Leake. Three batters into the game I thought, "here we go." But to his credit, he escaped a huge jam and went on to pitch an impressive game. The seven walks was very surprising but that's not something Mike Leake is going to do. I think you can chalk those walks up to a tight strikezone and nerves. I think he showed today he has the stuff to get major league hitters out. I'm looking forward to watching his next start,

Look like the Reds done got them a pitcher in the 2009 draft. I'm very impressed with this kid.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    IMO Dusty/Price almost ruined Mr Leake ML debut. the kid was clearly tiring late. he had already thrown a lot of pitches. when he walked Lee & Ramirez he was not near the plate. Dusty was likely trying to see if he could get out of the inning, the Reds come back & Leake get his first major league win. instead he added two walks to Leake's total & if Byrd gets a hold of one its 4-0 bad guys. IMO giving a guy like Harang or Arroyo some rope to see if they can grind out those last few outs is ok but a guy in his big league debut??? use some common sense. lets rip up the rookie's arm & destroy his confidence in one fell swoop!

those seven walks are not as bad as they look considering he got squeezed & was left in too long.
    Interesting some how its always Dusty's fault. Why not giving Dusty credit for giving Leake the chance to start the season in the rotation? Why not give Dusty credit for sticking with Leake after that awful start? Leake pitched very well today and his pitch count wasn't all that high. I think Dusty did Leake absolutly right.

Turn Off Ads?